Suitable drive to burn CD's at 8x or lower

Hey guys, seems like you got a nice active forum here

Built a gaming pc early last year. Opted for a crummy £12 Lite-On drive just to complete the build. In light of this I have not been able to burn my 800mb Verbatim CD-R’s below 24x or 48x.

I burn PS1 games and the console can only read at a rate of 8x or 16x I believe thus making 24x/48x too fast.

Can anyone recommend a drive that would solve my issue. I understand CD-R drives have probably rocketed in price due to this issue or ones very similar, I also hear they are built a lot better then, than now.

Kind regards, Paul

If you want a writer that can burn CDs at low (or relatively low) speeds, you could just get an external CD/DVD (&, if you want it, BD) burner (running from a usb port) as I’ve never seen an external burner that can burn a CD at faster than 24x and speeds as low as 8x generally are supported (16x certainly will be an option with any external burner).

The problem is not the inability to write below a certain speed, it’s rather a matter of drive and media used. In my own experience, Liteon drives are not famous when CD writing is required. Additionally, modern media is not optmized for “low speed writing”.

Among the stuff you can buy today, I’d go for a LG drive combined with quality blank media from Taiyo Yuden (available under JVC brand in some countries) or CMC (various brands, I prefer Verbatim - their CMC made discs are made in China).

Michael

What burning program do you use?and what operating system?
Before you buy another burner,and if you os supports it,try to find a demo version of the “almighty” Padus Discjuggler network edition online.
This program really uses the lowest speed available for your discs,as long as you run it in demo (and no time trial limit)

[QUOTE=roadworker;2719238]What burning program do you use?and what operating system?
Before you buy another burner,and if you os supports it,try to find a demo version of the “almighty” Padus Discjuggler network edition online.
This program really uses the lowest speed available for your discs,as long as you run it in demo (and no time trial limit)[/QUOTE]
Guess you are thinking of this one: https://legacy.padus.com/downloads/demo.php (not the network edition)
I am not sure if it is a good idea to install some fossile piece of software onto a rather modern Windows installation. Apart from that, modern drives tend to ignore unsupported speed commands.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2719239]Guess you are thinking of this one: https://legacy.padus.com/downloads/demo.php (not the network edition)
I am not sure if it is a good idea to install some fossile piece of software onto a rather modern Windows installation. Apart from that, modern drives tend to ignore unsupported speed commands.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK,the demo IS the network edition…the pro has no demo,and is (was) only available for customers…
As for fossile,the last update was in 2007,and there are still plenty of users who run XP as os,so… :wink:
There are still lots of people that still swear by it to burn their dreamcast games…

[QUOTE=roadworker;2719240]AFAIK,the demo IS the network edition…[/QUOTE]
To add to that,it’s not totally the same as the (crippled) pure network edition,it has the module build in in the demo and with it’s full potential unlocked ,it could also be used for cd-dvd duplicators…