Suicide Kings not copying

vbimport

Suicide Kings, Special Edition is not copying in 5.0.3.0.

Bogged down in the analysis stage. Turned off Pathplayer and it got through the analysis, but froze in at about 75% in the copy to temp stage. Clone mode froze, too.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

[quote=joelrosado;2085267]Suicide Kings, Special Edition is not copying in 5.0.3.0.

Bogged down in the analysis stage. Turned off Pathplayer and it got through the analysis, but froze in at about 75% in the copy to temp stage. Clone mode froze, too.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.[/quote]
Bad disc exchange for another.

Disk data side looks new and physically perfect. It played the movie perfectly. Shouldn’t do that if it was a bad disk.

[QUOTE=joelrosado;2085345]Disk data side looks new and physically perfect. It played the movie perfectly. Shouldn’t do that if it was a bad disk.[/QUOTE]

It depends on the error correction used by the player.

I have the budget version of ‘The Great Outdoors’ that I bought in a sale and cost me very very little.

My niece dropped it on the tray of the DVD player and scratched it so subtlely that it took me ages to figure out what was wrong.

You can only see a very feint scratch when you reflect the disc in the light and even then only when at a certain angle. It’s invisible otherwise.

Plays fine in all players but won’t rip properly at the damaged portion of the disc correctly so it is definitely possible for a damaged disc to play perfectly in standalone players.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks, Wombler. At very careful inspection with a lot of light reflecting, sure enough, there were some fine scratches on the DVD. Thanks for the information.

and just to add to the confusion. ive had some really good luck backing up some of my kids disc that i thought for sure would never read properly. many, many scratches.

but then ive experienced trouble with light scratches. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=troy512;2086288]and just to add to the confusion. ive had some really good luck backing up some of my kids disc that i thought for sure would never read properly. many, many scratches.

but then ive experienced trouble with light scratches. :)[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on luck (good or bad) as to whether it affects playback or not.

As you say I’ve had discs that are apparently quite bad that rip fine.

It can also depend on the error correction used in the PC drive as well as some drives are better at reading damaged discs than others.

My next door neighbour had one that was overly sensitive and keeled over at even the slightest speck of dirt.

I ended up replacing it for him after only a few weeks.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=joelrosado;2086264]Thanks, Wombler. At very careful inspection with a lot of light reflecting, sure enough, there were some fine scratches on the DVD. Thanks for the information.[/QUOTE]

No problem.

If possible you should exchange the disc but if that’s not an option you could try one of the liquid based repair kits as they work very well on minor scratches.

They use a polymer based fluid that fills the scratch with material that has the same optical properties as the plastic of the disc.

All you do is wipe it on, let it dry, then wipe off the excess so it’s pretty simple, it’s invisible and doesn’t in any way damage the disc.

If it’s a bad pressing though then unfortunately no amount of repair work severe or otherwise will resurrect the disc.

[B]Wombler[/B]

It can also depend on the error correction used in the PC drive as well as some drives are better at reading damaged discs than others.

exactly

[quote=Wombler;2086358] No problem.
…you could try one of the liquid based repair kits as they work very well on minor scratches.

That might be the solution (pun intended). Do you have any recommendations on the brand of liquid repair fluid? Where to get it?

[QUOTE=joelrosado;2089587]That might be the solution (pun intended). Do you have any recommendations on the brand of liquid repair fluid? Where to get it?[/QUOTE]

That depends on where you are.

Here in the UK HMV (which is a large music store) sell a kit which is the one I bought but I’ve seen them as well in local hi-fi stores and electronics/computer outlets.

You can get them with polishing gismos and other extras but I just use a basic kit with the fluid and a special polishing cloth.

It’s a cheap option too and although you only get a small bottle it will treat a large number of discs.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Back at home now so I can confirm that it’s this one that I have here.

They’re widely available off line as well though.

[B]Wombler[/B]