Suggestions to BenQ and/or Philips Engineers

Can you please keep the firmware of the EW164B up to date with the 1640 firmware?

Indeed this bugs me as well, my BenQ 1640 is slave and QSuite 2.1 too dumb too look for the device.

What about a stable SB not this beta sh**.

How about user defined riplock, include the QSuite option, for the permanent settings control?

please do something about the cd and cd-rw write quality for the dw 1640.

For me, nothing wrong with it - Nero shows me a score of 97%

General Information
Drive: BENQ DVD DD DW1640
Firmware: BSMB
Disc: Data CD (Verbatim)
Selected speed: Maximum
C1 errors
Maximum: 21
Average: 0.88
Total: 4208
C2 errors
Maximum: 0
Average: 0.00
Total: 0
Jitter
Maximum: 17.0 %
Average: 8.89 %
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 2:48
Number of samples: 4795
Average scanning interval: 1.00 sec
Glitches removed: 0

quality score 84
General Information
Drive: BENQ DVD DD DW1640
Firmware: BSLB
Disc: Data CD (Moser Baer)
Selected speed: Maximum
C1 errors
Maximum: 95
Average: 7.46
Total: 34660
C2 errors
Maximum: 0
Average: 0.00
Total: 0
Jitter
Maximum: 13.8 %
Average: 10.15 %
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 2:44
Number of samples: 4641
Average scanning interval: 1.00 sec
Glitches removed: 0

kool_man

please do something about the cd and cd-rw write quality for the dw 1640.

Partly will possible comply with this. But only about Ultra Speed RW recording.
Burning at 16x is awful at 24x is extremely deviated, at 32x more or less but acceptable. CD-R recording is near to perfect with the exclusion of too high level of jitter.

To be honest I dont really care about CD-R/RW issues on this drive as I bought it as dedicated DVD. I have a plex Premium for that.
But I do understand there are people out there that do not have this luxury of having a dedicated CD-RW drive.

As for the drive I just bought (SONY DRU-810A) flashed to BSLB BenQ I just burnt my first cheap disk (memorex branded x4 DVD-R with ProDiscS03 mid)
and overspead to 8x and got a decent score of 97 w/ 10.2 max jitter.
Now this media overspead in any of the other dvd drives I own fails and even @4x in my other drives results are as good as the 1640@ 8x

Now I know the only diff between the sony and benQ 1640 is the ESMT(Elite Semiconductor Memory Technology)buffer mem chips it uses but I wonder if anyone else that is out there have a sony/BenQ drive and think it could have better QC? At least im hoping it does.

I’m certain that it’s already been requested many times already, but once again: Give us more flexibility in Solidburn, as in ability to delete each SB media code profile individually, the possibility for more than 6 profiles, etc.

I’ll second that on the ability to remove individual learned pieces of media…
If you get a bad learn you have to remove profiles that learned correctly.

Maybe an X type button(like the one to close open windows) next to each slot to delete a single piece would work out nice. :iagree:

Hello, to Philips Engineers, and also to any cdfreaks who might be able to provide any helpful suggestions. = I recently purchased a Philips DVD+RW DVD8701 burner, which I am very pleased with in every way, but evidently I purchased it too hastefully, because I forgot to check if it has the cd-text feature, which appears to be unavailable. . . This is a silly question from a rather inexperienced pc user, but is there any way possible that the cd-text feature could be made available to this cd burner ? Thanks !

Make solidburn work better - I have issues with solidburn where the first burn using solidburn is good - then the following burns experience issues where the jitter seems to start going bowlshaped and I get a block of PIF’s where the speed switches from CAV -> CLV at 8x. See the scans attached. The first scan was the first burn, and the second one is what the subseqent discs all look like - notice the block of PIF’s at a level of 6 … looks concerning.

Please fix the BSNB/BEGB detection bug with DVD-ROM DL PTP disks.

Would it be possible to have ‘learning’ of how to burn some media based on Qscan data? Rathern then having to learn from actual burns of disks? If so, this would really be a nice feature to add…

Plz support the new Verbatim DL (MKM003) and support RICOH DL (RICOHJPN D01) @8x.

Improve write strategy for the old RICOH DL (D00). Like on the LG 4163, there 4x is excellent.

CU

I doubt that learning can take place on QScan data - Qscan is a utility to measure the Tracking and Focus error on the disc, this basically is the physical condition of the media to do with manufacture. This is just a report on the manufacturing quality - nothing more or less. The recommendation is in regards to whether the drive will be able to follow the track accurately while writing.

The learning from Solidburn and the adjustments by WOPC are realtime, because they relate to laser power. There’s no way to figure out what the optimal laser power is until you actually expose the disc to a certain amount of laser and read it back to see which is the optimal power for a disc. Qscan is like a read laser = low power … writing involves a high power and involves a lot of power adjustments in regards to the chemical dye - so hence has nothing to do with the physical manufacture of the tracks

OK, I don’t fully understand the SolidBurn learning process… and maybe it isn’t possible to ‘learn’ SolidBurn types of things from Qscan…

BUT… Surely there must be something BenQ engineers can give us, that would help utilize the information we can get from Qscan.

I’ll give you an example… I’ve got some Taiyo Yunden 8X DVD+R media that simply will not burn well at 8X during the last 500MB of the burn. For the first 4000MB it burns nearly perfectly. Using Qsuite’s Qscan, what I find is that the FE and TE are all very low for the first 80 or 90% of all these perticular disks, yet at the very end the FE and TE increase dramaticly, to the point where it tells me that I shoul not burn at 8X with these disks… OK, well it seems my only choice is to burn at 4X… yet basicly I’m just wasting my burning time during the first 80% of the disk. Quite frankly these disks look so good during the first 80%, they can most likely be easily burned at 12X in that portion…

So, what I really want is either the ability to customize the burn speed based on what I feel is acceptable (after looking at Qscan data), or have BenQ somehow make a custom burn stratagey for me, based on the Qscan data. I guess what I’d really like is for both of those options…

My basic point is that I do belive that Qscan data can tell us something about our disks… but it seems that knowlege we gain from it, is of very little value, if we don’t have more options for changing the burn stratagey…

Surely there is something BenQ engineers could do for those of us who would like to optimize our burns and the time it takes to burn…

Here’s and example of what I’m talking about… Notice how the PIF errorst get really high at the end of this scan… and how this seems to look very simmilar to how the FE and TE rates increase near the end of the Qscan for this disk… If I had my choice I’d burn at 8x right till about 3000MB and then slow down to 4X for the rest of the disk.

I’m not even sure if the Philips chipset is smart enough for that … I haven;t seen my benq push back speed when it can’t cope … i saw it hacking away at 12x on my discs evn though it couldn’t focus! Though I understand what u mean- create a intellegence where it burns as fast as it can and drops burning speed when the TE/FE gets tough … but this also poses a little bit of a challenge with laser power. Whenever you switch speeds, you sometimes create errors/gaps with the relink and the laser power and jitter jump up or down and some readers don’t like it :frowning: Guess there’s no perfect win-win situation.

You may be right about the difficultys involved. However clearly with some ‘stratageys’ included in firmware , there are changes in speed for some types of disks, so it must be possible to at least change speed mid burn. I’m not nessasarly interested in something that does it on the fly as the disk is burning. However it would be really nice if I could at least create at least part of the speed stratagey of my own, presumably one that I modified with some knowlege I gained from tools such as Qscan, or even from CDSpeed information.