Suggestions for upgrade from DW1640?

I have a BenQ DW1640 that feels like it’s wearing out. I am looking on Newegg and I’m surprised just how cheap drives have gotten, cheaper than media even. The BenQ has served me well but it seems that it is becoming unreliable in terms of consistent quality burns, even in the midst of decent media (MCC 004, YUDEN 002, and the not decent CMC M01).

What is a good burner to which I could upgrade from the DW1640? Please give reasoning. I am looking for high quality burns and scans, high media compatibility, at a consistently decent speed (12x or higher). I use almost exclusively DVD+R.

Boy! Dead silence! That seems to say there really isn’t an equal or better drive available?

I have a 1640 not being used.

[QUOTE=SLR_65;1954240]Boy! Dead silence! That seems to say there really isn’t an equal or better drive available?[/QUOTE]

I like my 1640, but I find the Liteon LH-20A1P gives better burn quality with most media.

buy a 20a4P/H/S… ore a pioneer 215/115/112/212

The 1640 is an awesome drive,as well as the 1650 and 1620. Of the thousands of discs I’ve burned,I haven’t wore any out yet-even otf.

When I heard litey was buying benq,I stocked up on them.

They can still be found at ebay,risky.Make sure it’s not from a major dealer.A seller with a low number beside the their name and a very high feedback rating. Also check the last month’s feedback of that seller.

[QUOTE=skelton;1954366]I like my 1640, but I find the Liteon LH-20A1P gives better burn quality with most media.[/QUOTE]

The same here :slight_smile:

1640 is a work horse for me , it still burns and scans but the 20A1P has better quality specially at higher speeds (12x/16x)