Suggestions for Reverting to Vista to update BIOS

vbimport

I want to update my Bios before I install windows 8. I have a 32 bit HP pavillion 2718us laptop. It came with Vista home premium and I updated it to windows 7 Ulitimate knowing that HP would not support it with firmware/bios updates.

Would it be possible/wise to create a partition and install a dual boot of Vista from the system recovery DVD and then update my bios from the HP site using the Vista partitian.
Or do I need to make a shadow copy of windows 7 and then revert to the factory version of Vista, update the bios and then reinstall windows 7 from the shadow copy?

Any chance HP will support this computer for windows 8. Microsoft states that any Vista PC is upgradible to Windows 8?

You should be able to update the Bios with out changing anything as far as OS’s go.

As far as Windows 8 you may want to look into that more, Windows 8 is more for Tablets and phones not Laptops or Desktops
IMO

Yeah but I love the feature that it take only five minutes to do a clean install of the OS and your files are kept. No more Malware worries makes it worth it. Plus it will only be $40 and I am guessing that microsoft will release a new ergo windows 8 keyboard with charm key shortcut keys, where you won’t need to touch the screen to be productive…

HP searched your computer and confirms the OS before it will let you down load the bios. It states the that my computer is not supported for windows 7

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=jPeeke;2641830]I want to update my Bios before I install windows 8. [/QUOTE]
Have you checked if there is a newer Bios available? Also: if there is, are there any issues with your computer that can be resolved with that Bios update? Just to double check.

The update procedure itself is described on HP website. If I remember correctly, then there are even tools that prepare an USB flash drive (should be empty before), so you are independent from the OS that is currently installed.
If you really want to run the Bios update in a Windows environment, make sure you follow the instructions given on HP website. There shouldn’t be a difference if you are running Vista or 7 (even Win8 shouldn’t matter), most likely you will have use “run as Administrator” option (Right-Click on the executable).

Michael

When you go to the support page for the laptop and find the latest BIOS update it states.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-92392-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=2093&product=3652828&sw_lang=

This package contains the WinFlash utility and a system BIOS image for the listed notebook models and operating systems. The WinFlash utility is used to locally flash the system BIOS (ROM) on notebooks operating in a Microsoft Windows environment.
Details and specifications
File name: sp52272.exe [1/1, 4.26M]
System requirements: Operating Systems
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows Vista Business 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Edition

Released: 2011-03-11
Version: F.28
Compatibility: Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)
Fix/Enhancement: - Resolves an intermittent BSOD 0x124 error message when the system shuts down unexpectedly and then restarts.

I did not understand whether it would be okay to flash the BIOS in Windows 7 since only Vista was listed under the compatibility or requirements section.

Yes, flashing the bios will be fine when using windows 7.

Thanks for the feedback.

[QUOTE=jPeeke;2641902]When you go to the support page for the laptop and find the latest BIOS update it states.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-92392-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=2093&product=3652828&sw_lang=

I did not understand whether it would be okay to flash the BIOS in Windows 7 since only Vista was listed under the compatibility or requirements section.[/QUOTE]

HP doesn’t even support Windows 7 for that Laptop, and you are worried about Flashing the BIOS. Personally I don’t update unless I am having problems. I do keep my OS and Security up to date though. :cool:

What I’d recommend doing if you really want to update the bios
AND you have a spare hard drive do a quick and dirty vista install
on that spare drive, update the bios, then format it…

Then swap your Windows7 or Windows8 drive back in…

AD

As far as I can see, the update fixes “just” one bug, so if you don’t eperiense any problems with your current BIOS I recommend that you leave it as it is.

Flashing a BIOS has always some risk and in the worst case the damage is higher than the benefit.

Any chance HP will support this computer for windows 8. Microsoft states that any Vista PC is upgradible to Windows 8?

I don’t think that HP will support Win8 for your Laptop.

I would suggest picking up another hard disk for Windows 8, especially if you intend trying it out prior to its release. The hard disk is also fairly straight forward to change in most laptops.

[ol]
[li]Prior to installing Windows 8, you could run the Vista recovery DVD and this would give you Windows Vista to update the BIOS.[/li][li]You would can switch back to your Windows 7 installation just by changing the HDD back, which could be useful if Windows 8 doesn’t work out and you would like to switch back.[/li][li]Once you finally settle on Windows 8 or go back to Windows 7, you could place the other HDD in a 2.5" enclosure and use it as an external HDD for backups.[/li][/ol]

Whatever windows8 installation you create NOW or with any other pre-release version will have to be wiped and a clean installation done either on release of
the final consumer version or 90days thereafter.

So ANY Windows8 system setup done now should only
be considered “expiremental”