Suggestions for DDR2 RAM

Hi all :slight_smile:

There are many posts discussing about RAM, but being a total ignorant in this field :o I’d like to ask for a suggestion by experts :slight_smile:

I am searching for the RAM to be used with the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6 (rev. 1.0). Because of I must buy other items from this site, to save shipping costs I decided to buy the RAM too.

Some details are needed I think.

First of all, I’m not planning to overclock the system (actually I have no idea how to do this :o).

Moreover, I’d like to install 4 GB so I selected (see the list at the bottom of this post) some 2x2GB kits.

I don’t know if it is important, but I’m planning to use this CPU in the mainboard.

Bear in mind that my wallet is very often growling, so also the price is important for me :flower:

These are the options I found. Which one do you suggest?

CORSAIR DDR2 DIMM “Xms2 DHX” 4GB KIT (2GBx2) PC2-6400 800Mhz CL5 / DHX (TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX)
CORSAIR DDR2 DIMM “Xms2” 4GB KIT (2GBx2) PC2-6400 800Mhz CL4 / DHX (TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX)
CORSAIR DDR2 DIMM “Xms2” 4GB KIT (2GBx2) PC2-6400 800Mhz CL5 (TWIN2X4096-6400C5)
OCZ DDR2 DIMM “Reaper HPC” 4GB KIT (2GBx2) PC2-6400 800Mhz CL4 Dual Channel (OCZ2RPR800C44GK)
OCZ DDR2 DIMM “Reaper HPC” 4GB KIT (2GBx2) PC2-6400 800Mhz CL5 Dual Channel EPP (OCZ2RPR8004GK)
OCZ DDR2 DIMM “SLI-Ready Ed.” 4GB KIT (2GBx2) PC2-6400 800Mhz CL5 Dual Channel EPP XTC (OCZ2N800SR4GK)
OCZ DDR2 DIMM “Special Ops Edition” 4GB KIT (2GBx2) PC2-6400EL 800Mhz CL5 Dual Channel XTC (OCZ2SOE8004GK)
OCZ DDR2 DIMM “Titanium Ed.” 4GB KIT (2GBx2) PC2-6400 800Mhz CL4 Dual Channel EPP XTC (OCZ2T800C44GK)
OCZ DDR2 DIMM “Vista Performance” 4GB KIT (2GBx2) PC2-6400 800Mhz CL5 Dual Channel / Platinum XTC (OCZ2P8004GK)
OCZ DDR2 DIMM “Vista Performance” 4GB KIT (2GBx2) PC2-6400 800Mhz CL5 Dual Channel Gold XTC (OCZ2G8004GK)

Thanks for suggestions :flower:

heyyo my Italian friend. What Operating System are you going to use?

Does price factor into the purchase as well? I used new egg to find out what kinda memory my mother board need and bought it and it works well. I am at 2.5G for XP pro sp3. I would before buying the motherboard or if you have it now would look at the manual if you did that already and see what the specs says for the memory chips. That’s how I did it for my motherboard - Abit KR-7A133R board. For me price does factor into the purchase as well as the name but that can be different as well… But the bad part for me is I am from the US so I won’t know much about the items sold in your region. If someone from there has experience with buying there. But I would in your case download the pdf manual and read through it on the memory specs as they usually tell you more what you need in way of memory and cpu and anything else important to what your looking for. I am myself a newbie when I purchase a motherboard because there alot things to take into account even though I used the computer since the 80’s. I by no means a expert just learn from reading and experience and also trial and errors… :doh: hopefully my explaination didn’t confused the subject more…

I’m planning to install multiple operative systems on that computer, surely Windows XP, but later I’ll try also Vista 64-bit and Linux 64-bit.

What really confuses me in the choice of memories is the Case Latency. It’s a bit too complicated for me. There is really a so big difference in performance among all the RAM in the above list?

If performance is practically the same (remember that I’m not planning an overclock), I can buy the cheaper ones.

Browsing NewEgg is not easy for me… when I see prices so much lower than here I become sick :sad:

There is a really good ram speed comparison which was just done at tomshardware.com If you go read that, you will see that there is very little (noticable) difference in ram speeds (without running tests and reviewing the milliseconds of difference). If you are like most people, you won’t notice milliseconds of difference. I do digital video and extensive photo editing on mine, using inexpensive ddr2 800mhz memory. It is more than fast enough for me. Most important thing is to get the correct memory voltage for your mother board, along with the supported mhz…

I got two sticks A-Data DDR last month (because the price was right) - standard voltage, no overclock, works perfectly.

With Corsair and OCZ you’ll pay for the name (and unless you know exactly which chips are used - very difficult these days with the heat spreaders - and/or have some test results proving they’re indeed better, I don’t think it’s worth it). I believe our pro’s here on the board prefer Crucial and Mushkin. Good luck with the new build, Geno!

Thanks for answers :slight_smile:

I’ll have a talk with the wallet soon :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2061983]Thanks for answers :slight_smile:

I’ll have a talk with the wallet soon :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]:bigsmile: wallet worse than a wife? :doh:

My wallet is green, huge and loudly growling… do you remember the Hulk? :eek:

[QUOTE=geno888;2062001]My wallet is green, huge and loudly growling… do you remember the Hulk? :eek:[/QUOTE]lol yes i remember geno :doh::bigsmile: moths fly out of mine when i open it up

Just watch sites like slickdeals or fatwallet deals on memory. My Corsair ddr2 800mhz memory was only $29.00 for 2 x 1gb.

http://www.compuline.it/schedaprodotto.asp?prodotto_cod=16182
I’d go for those mainly because they use stock voltage (1.8V) which increases compatibility rate by a lot. Keep in mind that only ~3.3Gb will be available with a 32-bit OS.
Also check Gigabyte’s site for a memory compatibility list or use Corsairs to verify that the DHX-series works with your motherboard.
//Danne

How about these generic ones Danne?
http://www.compuline.it/schedaprodotto.asp?prodotto_cod=18467

Thanks everybody for suggestions :bow:

EDIT: Just checked the memory list at Gigabyte site… that’s weird :eek:

The only 2 GB modules supported are NANYA NT2GT64U8HB0JY-3C :doh:

[QUOTE=geno888;2062474]Thanks everybody for suggestions :bow:

EDIT: Just checked the memory list at Gigabyte site… that’s weird :eek:

The only 2 GB modules supported are NANYA NT2GT64U8HB0JY-3C :doh:[/QUOTE]

Just make sure you have the latest bios for the MB installed. Personally I find those manufacturer lists to be a joke, basically its a way for them to support their brother/sister companies.

Agree… My dell is very picky, and I’m running 1.9v in a 1.8v only setup. Good memory will have a little flex room.

@ geno888
Spend the extra 15 Euro on the Corsair memory, at least I would do that.
You can also use Corsair’s site to verify compatibility.
//Danne

Thanks DiiZzY :slight_smile:

I just checked at Corsair website, and I found some confusing results. In their forum, some users were able to use these RAM, and other got problems.

In the memory configurator I found that [B]TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX[/B] RAM are supported, whereas the [B]TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX[/B] are not in the list.

If I understood correctly, the only difference among these models is the CAS latency (CL4 for the first one and CL5 for the one suggested by you).

Do you think that I can buy safely the CL5 ones even if they are not listed in the “officially supported” memories?

EDIT… I just checked: the price difference is not huge :doh:

[U]TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX[/U] € 103.80
[U]TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX[/U] € 90.40

hows it going everyone.
kinda got a general response here. ive been doing a new build from the ground up. i have some pretty good parts not top of the line but good stuff.

i have the gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R mobo.
and Crucial ballistix DDR2 1066 mem.
ive been haven problems with BSOD, reboots, ect…
ive RMA the mobo twice now thinking it was its fault. but after talking with crucial tech. ive found that the DDR2 1066 mem(2 x 1gb kit) isnt compatible 100% with the P35 chipset boards. they are sending me out some DDR2 800 sticks now. even with these you want the 16chip sticks double sided mem not the 8 chip single sided.

so if you have a P35 board you might want to think twice on getting crucial mem right now. the crucial tech did say it was having issues with the ASUS,Gigabyte,DFI. mobo in genereal but they are working on the mem to get them more compatible…

@ geno888
If Corsair say they’ll work they should do work fine, although I’m personally not very amused with non standard voltages since it may introduce compatibility issues. If unsure send a mail to their support and ask or use the forums, they also have great “after purchase” support.
//Danne