Suggestions for buying an external blu-ray burner

So it has to be ripped first, can you play the original disc through the external closure drive?

Yes, a long a you can read the 4K UHD movie, you can play that too using DVDFab player. This player having decryption on the fly. If you want to play with VLC, you must have keep open AnyDVD or DVDFab Passkey on the background to decrypt on the fly while playing with VLC player.

https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhd-creator.htm
states that consumers can create UHD Blu-Ray discs at home with this software. not sure if it is foolproof. just an info.

can you suggest which blank BD-R 25GB is better to buy for successful burns? and also LTH or HTL is good? thanks in advance.

Thanks for the link. Despite their claim about compatibility with standalone UHD disc players, there are going to be limitations beyond their control. You are limited to 50GB maximum size because the firmware on most standalone players will categorically reject “high capacity Blu-Ray” recordable discs. Within that limit, though, perhaps they have worked out the compatability issues.

Before investing in this software it might be helpful to look at user feedback on forums that specialize in PC video applications. Probably the best is videohelp.com

Addendum: just for fun I hooked up an LG BP60 to see if ChipGenius could sniff out any SATA-to-USB bridge chipset. It could not. The drive was detected as a composite mass storage device, which supports your statement. Thanks!

thanks all for your valuable inputs. but it is quite unfortunate for me that even though there are thanksgiving / blackfriday / cyber monday discounts in online stores (amazon, walmart, bestbuy, newegg, etc.)for most other stuff including laptops, there are no proper discounts for BD writers (i dont know why). the minimum is a pioneer at $95, that too without UHD capabilities at pioneer’s official website.(i have settled down to non-UHD ones, but still they are not affordable for me). i guess i would have to wait 6-12 months for the prices of BD burners to drop. :frowning: it is a pity that the prices are high despite the passage of many years since the introduction of BD. sorry if i sound upset.

Can you paste the detailed information you get in ChipGenius?

I just checked what gets reported when I hookup a SATA drive to my Unitek Y-1035 USB3.0 bridge and apart from fake vendor, name, serial number I don’t see anything worrying :wink:

Description: [G:]USB Mass Storage Device(PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16ABS)
Device Type:        Mass Storage Device

Protocal Version: USB 3.00
Current Speed: Super Speed

USB Device ID: VID = 174C PID = 55AA
Serial Number: 0123456789ABCDEF013B

Device Vendor: 01234567890123456789012345678901234567890123
Device Name: 012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567
Device Revision: 0100

Manufacturer: PLDS
Product Model: DVD+-RW DH-16ABS
Product Revision: PD11

Controller Part-Number: Unknown

When testing Samsung SE-506BB drive it shows similar result:

Description: [I:]USB Mass Storage Device(TSSTcorp BDDVDW SE-506BB)

Protocal Version: USB 2.00
Current Speed: High Speed
Max Current: 500mA

USB Device ID: VID = 0E8D PID = 1956
Serial Number: _________

Device Vendor: MediaTek Inc
Device Name: MT1956
Device Revision: 0000

Manufacturer: TSSTcorp
Product Model: BDDVDW SE-506BB
Product Revision: TS00

And as last ATA(IDE) to USB adapter connected drive:

Description: [J:]USB Mass Storage Device(BENQ DVD DD DW1650)

Max Current: 2mA

USB Device ID: VID = 152D PID = 2338
Serial Number: 2222D6D2DD2D

Device Vendor: JMicron
Device Name: USB to ATA/ATAPI bridge

Manufacturer: BENQ
Product Model: DVD DD DW1650
Product Revision: BCIC

Controller Vendor: JMicron
Controller Part-Number: JM20337

@zenosz:

Description: USB Mass Storage Device(HL-DT-ST BD-RE BP60NB10)
Device Type: Mass Storage Device

Max Current: 30mA

USB Device ID: VID = 152E PID = 2571
Serial Number: BH52000000001054

Device Vendor: HLDS Inc
Device Name: Slim Ext Blu-ray

Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product Model: BD-RE BP60NB10
Product Revision: 1.00

Controller Part-Number: Unknown

Attempts to run the advanced scan causes ChipGenius to lock up solid.

Doesn’t seem to be that different compared to my drive via SATA -> USB bridge. But until someone tries to play back UHD disc using one the mystery remains :slight_smile: (I won’t be having PC hardware capable to do that in coming years).

First off, welcome aboard Anniyan. Please keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times, and please remain seated until the ride has come to a complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the ride!

Putting an internal drive into an external enclosure requires NO special skills. Schuster has given you really sound info. A plain external case that will hold a full size drive is quite inexpensive. Full size drives are far better, faster, less expensive, more common with FAR more choices than the “thin” “Laptop” type drives.

If you can get a key into a lock and get it to turn, AND you know how to plug usb cables into your computer, you can put a drive into one of these external cases. It’s very straight forward.

Changing the drive for a newer one later (if you want to) is just as simple. Unsnap and remove the top - unclip the drive (or remove the screws), unplug it and set it aside. Reverse the order to put the new drive top back on.

Woah . . . . hold the phone . . . I can’t find a decent source for reasonably priced 5.25" USB enclosures ANYWHERE. Can anyone else?

The only ones that seem to be in current production are from Vantec, Bytecc, and OWC. They all have list prices in the region of US$60 - $80 and may sell for 20% or so less at discount.

Crazy. These used to be sub $30, and as little as $18-$20 if you really hunted a decent deal. Maybe VinPower Digital would like to consider offering their own product. They still are the only source for the Sony/Optiarc drives, as well as (at least in my opinion) the best duplicators money could (and still can) buy.

VinPower Digital is the only reason those Sony drives are still being manufactured. Sony/Optiarc had shut down their entire optical drive division, but VinPower convince them to continue limited runs of the AD-7240S, with the agreement that VinPower would handle the entire distribution and service end with no support from Sony Corp., so they’d probably be the best bet to approach about offering a solid external case at a FAR more reasonable price-point. It’s just a regular USB to SATA II bridge and tiny power supply in a plastic box for heaven’s sake.

thanks. :slight_smile: yeah, i agree with you that internal drives are far more powerful in specifications. but even if i manage to put an internal drive into an enclosure, there is a hurdle that the (internal drive + enclosure) >> external drive, in terms of price. meanwhile it is difficult for me to afford to buy even an external drive. i was banking on the thanksgiving / black friday / cyber monday discounts but there was none for BD burners. i have decided to wait for an year till the prices drop like they did for DVD burners. but anyways thanks for the inputs. in case you come across a $50-70 solution, please let me know.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1B1-002E-00003?Description=vinpower&cm_re=vinpower--9SIAA7W8JE7447--Product

is $173.39

In another thread somewhere here, I had proposed a DIY full-size external case constructed from a shoebox-sized photo storage box and a $9 USB3-to-SATA bridge cable available from a gazillion vendors on eBay, Aliexpress, and Amazon. I actually bought the materials to start the project but never got to it :frowning:

Yeah, it wasn’t until I started looking for product links to show you how easy it is to slap a $25-$30 drive into (what used to be) a $20 enclosure that I was stunned to find the prices on enclosures wildly accelerated.

E-Bay for a used enclosure would be a good bet, but there were certain USB->SATA bridge chip sets that were to be avoided. If I see something that I KNOW will work in my travels around the Big Wide Web, I will definitely let you know. Perhaps a few other members may chime in to help you find something suitable. (IE: An enclosure with an appropriate chipset, and a reasonable price point)

I would be happy to help, if only to offer “moral support” in your endeavor to put together a simple walk-through, or if it’d be helpful, to also help source products that are already “in the stream” that would provide an easy way to mount, case and finish your project for other freaks. I know for myself, I am always far more inspire to finish projects like this when A.) I know other people have an interest, and B.) I have someone to bounce ideas off of and sort of “push one another” to develop the simplest, easiest and most cost-effective solutions.

Because USB can be daisy-chained, it’s even well within the realm of possibility to build a larger external enclosure that can house more than 1 optical drive, and even have the ability to mount OR dock an external hard disk (or disks). The questions are A.) Can you write to multiple CD/DVD/BD targets successfully via a single USB connection with USB 2.0? 3.0? You CAN write multiple targets with, as one example, Nero Burning Rom 6.xx, if the drives are the same successfully. I have even writing multiple copies simultaneously using different drives, although if the write strategies are markedly different, it will cause failures because they can not use the same data stream. (The data becomes asynchronous between the drives)

I am also aware that, at least where printers are concerned, connecting more than two printers to a single (USB 2.0) hub causes weirdness when printing multiple jobs to multiple printers simultaneously - where the print jobs sometimes just “lock up,” and there’s no real rhyme or reason to when this will happen. I mention this because I’m not sure you’d run into the same problem with optical drives daisy-chained.

Hmmmm . . . I’m afraid I (sorta) went slightly off topic here. Sorry Anniyan.

We will now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic, already in progress :slight_smile:

thanks a lot for the kind words and help. :slight_smile: ok i will follow this thread regularly for your suggestions :slight_smile:

i am looking for a 50-70 USD solution overall. anyways thank you very much for the link. :slight_smile: