Suggestions for ASUS motherboard @ $300

vbimport

building my first system: started with Intel i7-950-3.06 1366 130W and like the ASUS Ram 111 Formula for a mobo; BUT…I only game once or twice a month; more into music,burning compilation dvd’s/cd’s, streaming, movies,(trying to learn “Audacity”), but mostly listening to my headphones through my headphone amp and trying to find good stations on the web, etc. Want to stay ASUS. (power & soundcard next problem).
Any and all help or suggestions for this new system will be helpful and thanks for reading…

I really like the Rampage boards; running the Rampage III Extreme with the 980X and have the Rampage II Extreme with an i7 950 setup for the wife.

For about 100 bucks less you would be well served with the P6X58D or the Sabertooth board.

For the power supply go with the Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W Thats more than enough power for a high power CPU and one high power GPU.

For the MB the Asus Formula is a little overkill for what you want to do with your PC, you would be better off putting the saved money towards a top end sound card. I would recommend the ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Kipper; thanks and yes the Rampage did beat at 86 percent (of 5 & 4 Eggs), the other two fine selections, (both the 58D and 58D-E), and since both of these replies show consistancy, I think your agreement confirms my idea, so many thanks.
… eric93se; I appreciate that Antec choice, when I’m finished adding other parts I"ll need 650W. What soundcard would you select to combine with the i7 & RampageIII for about $200-250? Is Creative reliable or others better for MY uses. Thanks for the choice.

There are a lot of sound cards out there, some are expensive mainstream cards and then there are harder to find audiophile cards. Here are some that are at Newegg

I think I’m going with this: ASUS Xonar Essence ST 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Audio Card. It should be a good match for the ASUS Rampage III mobo, and their should be no problems setting it up. I think the power supply of 650 will be just right. Not sure about how much memory. Also got a dvd from ASUS the DRW-24B1ST so I’m hopefull that everything will fit together with no problems…

or have I made a mistake and should go with this:
HT | OMEGA Claro Halo 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card w/ a built-in HI-FI Headphone Amplifier. Man, there is so much to read and naturally there in no place to go to hook this up…
If anyone has any opinion about which of the two cards would fit best for headphone listening, please add your opinion…thanks again for all help.