Suggestions for anything more reliable than TYG02 @ Pioneer 215D

vbimport

For a long time, I was using TYG02 @ 8x @ Pioneer 215D. Could you suggest anything more reliable for long term storage or I should stick with that if I didn’t have any problems? I only care about long term storage. Verbatim Medial and other high-end stuff is out of my range.

TYG02 is one of the better disc models out there: as you can see in my sig, I like TYG02 (TY 8x DVD-R), YUDEN000 T02 (TY 8x DVD+R), and MCC 004 (Verbatim 16x DVD+R). But particularly YUDEN000 T02 because I’m a +R man. That and the fact that my recently acquired stash of FF Printable TY 8x DVD+Rs gives me the best of all worlds, stability, compatibility if needed, cost effectiveness and the ability to print a decent looking design all over the disc face.

One of the experts here, Franksoy I think (no offense intended if I’m wrong) likes to take a snipe at TYG02 now and then for alleged reflectivity and compatibility issues, but as far as I know these don’t affect archival stability.

But I would say that if you’re happy enough with TYG02, then by all means keep on using it.

I :iagree: with what SeanW said - if you’re not willing to spend a lot more for other media it would be best to stay with 8x TY. Some people have complained about the bonding and compatibility problems of 16x TY, although 8x TY have been greatly consistent with almost (save for a tiny few) every forum member that has used it - most even swear by it (and hoard/save/sleep with it :wink: :bigsmile:).

As I do heavy video work I tend to use more DVD-R discs, and have found the compatibility of MCC/MKM media on a myriad of drives and standalones to be adequate (if not perfect) for the demands of my field – BUT, given the chance of getting a HUUUGE lot of TY T02 (DVD+R) I won’t pass it up as I’m finding myself backing up a lot of data now, and the superior longevity and initial (scanning) quality of Taiyo Yuden T02 is unbelievably better than anything of the same price range. However due to an almost non-existent supply of TY (for me, locally), I use MCC004 for data - consistent, easy to acquire, great compatibility. I think personally (and from what I’ve gathered from CDF) that MCC -R is more compatible than TY -R, but TY +R is superior to MCC +R. You won’t go wrong with either anyway. :wink:

I do believe that if you find media that works for you, stick with it. The name Taiyo Yuden only reeks of one thing - quality. Although the same can’t be easily said (and supported) with their 16x media, I’d still say that with TYG02 and a Pioneer x15 writer = great combination.

Keep on burning! :wink:

MCC02RG20 is the Verbatim medical archive stuff but it can be purchased in it’s normal form as Verbatim DVD-R 8x. You may get it cheaper than TYG02. It’s longevity is meant to be very good. But, I’m sure TYG02 is fine. Keep using it if you don’t pay much for it and never have problems. It should last the distance without issues.

Well never change a winning team…
TY DVD+/-R 8x discs are one of the best available (which can not be said of the 16x ones if you ask me…) and the Pioneer 115 series of drives are also very good. So i would say you have got a very good combination. I would say the non-medical MCC/MKM 8x and 16x DVD+/-R is also very high recommended media and is in the same league as the 8x TYs.
In my case i get either TY or MCC/MKM 8x DVD-R (well at the place i live DVD+R is hard to get at decent prices) depending on the price at the store. But as the others already pointed out if you get the TYs at a good price and never had problems stick with them.

This drive absolutely adores Verbatim 16x DVD+R media (MCC004), even more than the DVD-R counterpart (MCC03RG20) from my tests so far. I have tested both made in Taiwan (CMC) and made in India (MBI) MCC004s, and the results are outstanding (check out that thread for more examples).

Verbatim 16x DVD+R - relatively cheap, widely available, very reliable, excellently supported by most burner firmwares, very good and consistent burn quality (at least for me)

Pioneer DVR-215 + Verbatim 16x DVD+R = teh win :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=evo69;2134556]I :iagree: with what SeanW said - if you’re not willing to spend a lot more for other media it would be best to stay with 8x TY. Some people have complained about the bonding and compatibility problems of 16x TY, although 8x TY have been greatly consistent with almost (save for a tiny few) every forum member that has used it - most even swear by it (and hoard/save/sleep with it :wink: :bigsmile:).[/QUOTE]

You meant to say compatibility and bonding problems with 8x TY. :cop:

16x TY doesn’t scan as well as 8x TY, but it’s bonding, reflectivity, and overall quality and compatibility is better.

My bad. :wink:

The most stable media in “regular” lines is Verbatim 8X -R media, MCC02 RG20, if one takes into account user experience and accelerated aging tests. TYG02 doesn’t come close in climatic stability. You can disregard these tests if you like, I’m just passing the info.

As usual, I’ll say that I don’t share this board’s consensus about TYG02 which I find overhyped media, hype based on PIE/PIF scans in end-user drives, which are indeed almost always beautiful looking with TYG02. But professional testing doesn’t show anything specially superior with these discs. Our usual media expert Dakhaas also considers them as being overhyped on this board.

Besides, TYG02’s lower reflectivity is not an allegation. It’s a professionally measured parameter, well, a fact. Which is probably what impacts compatibility with players. I don’t do video duplication anymore, but when I did, I had consistently lower standalone compatibility (i.e. more returns) with TYG02 than with MCC02 RG20. The compatibility kings were RITEK G04 and G05 but as everyone here knows, for other reasons these discs cannot be recommended. :stuck_out_tongue:

Whatever. Reflectivity is not your concern (and shouldn’t be, since it doesn’t impact usability in the case of data management purposes in PC drives). Your concern is long-term stability. So I advise either MCC004 (Verbatim-branded) or YUDEN000T02 (8X +R) rather than TYG02. Though you didn’t define “long term”…?

But your best defense against data loss is NOT one disc model, whatever its stability. You best defense is putting clones of the data onto different disc models, at least 2. Never rely on a single disc for really important stuff. :wink:

If you get good (and genuine) Verbatim 16x DVD+R (MCC004), it will work well on all modern DVD burners I can think of.

The problem is that manufacturing quality seems to be slipping on all non-premium DVD media lately, and even Verbatim ship mediocre and sometimes even bad media.

Using two different types of media for important stuff is essential, as pointed out by Francksoy; that could be two different models of DVD media or a DVD and a harddrive or some other combination.

If TYG02 works for you, then there’s little reason to change that, but you should consider backing up important stuff to a second type of media.

[quote=negritude;2134919]16x TY doesn’t scan as well as 8x TY, but it’s bonding, reflectivity, and overall quality and compatibility is better.[/quote] I have found Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T02) to be more widely compatible with DVD burners than anything else I have tried, including the 16x Taiyo Yudens; in my experience the 16x DVD-R (TYG03) is not particularly well supported on some older (16x) burners.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2134991]that could be two different models of DVD media or a DVD and a harddrive or some other combination.[/quote]Entirely agree :), not necessarily multiple discs, can be about any support with fair reliability. The principle is multiple supports with reasonable life expectancy, rather than a single support with supposed superior life expectancy. The ABC of data safety management.

Thank all of you for your replies!

I was thinking that TYG02 was the king of reliability, thanks for showing me that it’s not the case. I don’t care so much about compatibility, TYG02’s compatibility never gave me issues in my Pio/NEC drives. If it plays back in up-to-date computer drivers in the future, then I’m happy.

So as I understand, generally I have 3 choice:
TOP 1. MCC02 RG20 - DVD-R 8x - if I read correctly, this is the same media as in Verbatim Medi Disc and Archival Grade discs, and if I could get it in bulk packs that’s the absolute winner.
TOP 2. MMC004 - DVD+R 16x - My problem is that I can only buy general Verbatim DVD+R 16x, which doesn’t always mean MMC004, and even if it is, there is a big difference in quality between different packs - maybe not true I just read it somewhere. I think it’s easy to differentiate Taiyo Verbatims from non-Taiyo, because of the Made in Japan label. Is there any way to know if it’s a MMC004?
TOP 3. YUDEN000 T02 - DVD+R 8x - It is unavailable for me, but it could be a good choice. Francksoy, what do you think about that disc?

So, if MCC02 RG20 is the winner, where could I get it in bulk packs in Europe? And is it really the same disc as Verbatim’s Archival Grade and Medi Disc, including features like UltraLife, HardCoat ScratchGuard and Advanced AZO, or there is really something what you pay for in those high-end discs?

Thanks for the backup ideas, I do write to different mediums but it’s always better if I know which is the best optical media to write to.

MCC02RG20 = Verbatim 8x DVD-R
MCC004 = Verbatim 16x DVD+R

If you need MCC media you can’t go wrong with Verbatim, every time. Mitsubishi-branded media that’s found in Asia is also MCC, and pretty much the same as Verbatim-branded discs except for the labeling. Made in Taiwan discs (CMC Magnetics or Prodisc) are generally of a consistent quality - although users are reporting quality drops (in almost every type of optical media anyway) so testing will be handy here. Made in India discs are (from what I’ve read) easier to get in Europe - but be cautious as some have ranted about how inconsistent these are, and how things have turned for the better for their most recently-manufactured media. Made in Japan Verbatim are obvious at a glance due to the different spindle used - you’ll see pics of Taiyo Yuden cakes around the forum - and are TY-made, albeit being a little lower quality type of TY media as some might attest to (they’re still pretty good discs though).

Verbatim 8x DVD-R (MCC02RG20) is not exactly the same per se to Archival Grade and MediDisc media, or such as those that have Ultralife and Scratchguard on the packaging. The latter are specifically “tougher” physically than the basic Verbatim fare, and are priced accordingly - in other words, be prepared to shell out more money. AZO/Adv.AZO/Super AZO are marketing monikers as MCC always use Mitsubishi’s own metal-based dye which is the same in all the same-speed DVD series - the only real difference is in the quality of production and the “treatments” used to differentiate whether it’s a MediDisc or Archival or Hardcoat/Scratchguard media.

If you have the money I’d say yes - those “special” discs are a notch higher in quality and toughness. But since I store discs properly and never use my backups (I always have a “work” disc on cheaper media) using the “base” Verbatim discs works well for me.

For really important backups I do a three-way redundancy “program” - burns on multiple and different media (~2), with ECC redundancy (DVDisaster), and a compressed copy (RAR with recovery) on an external drive. But usually multiple media and ECC redundancy covers most of the bases. :wink:

The “best” media is purely debatable. Be careful of bringing it up. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=zsero;2135800]MCC02 RG20 - DVD-R 8x - if I read correctly, this is the same media as in Verbatim Medi Disc and Archival Grade discs[/quote]Not really. The three models share some of the technology but not all of it! :disagree:

and if I could get it in bulk packs that’s the absolute winner
In “regular” lines it’s the winner for longevity, yes. but you’ll have hard time to find these discs. That’s why I generally don’t recommend them anymore, and recommend MCC004 instead. From my cross-checks, it looks like in real-world MCC004 is just as reliable as MCC02 RG20. And more compatible with burners, which is interesting as well.
TOP 3. YUDEN000 T02 - DVD+R 8x - It is unavailable for me, but it could be a good choice. Francksoy, what do you think about that disc?
I love YUDEN000T02. :cool: (and I’m not a TY fan in the least, believe me) - as I just input in another thread, only reason why I choosed to use mainly Verbatim MCC004 instead of T02 is availability and price in Europe. T02 is actually more consistent from batch to batch. But MUCH more expensive in Europe. In the US it’s a more interesting choice.