Suggestions for a new PC

vbimport

Hi everybody :bigsmile:

I’m planning to build a new PC. The main purpose for this machine will be video editing, mostly for blu-ray compressions and mpeg encoding.

Any suggestions? Is it more preforming an Intel quadcore CPU or an AMD x6 processor? An Intel x6 CPU is definitely out of my range… too costly :doh:

What about the socket? For Intel boards is better to get a 1366 or a 1156 CPU? There will be a real advantage to have a triple channel RAM for video encoding? 1156 socket is definitely more affordable, so if performance difference is not real (i.e. only few points in benchmarks) is a nonsense to spend much more money :bigsmile: But if encoding time difference is important (i.e. half hour or more) I can seriously consider socket 1366.

What about AMD mainboards? There are many different chipsets and I have no idea which one is better.

Another feature I need is connectivity. So I need eSATA ports and possibly also USB3. Is it better to get a mainboard with these ports already onboard or a PCIe controller is the same thing (or better)? What controller? Any suggestions?

What about graphic cards? Is it worth to get a nvidia Quadro card for mpeg encoding? I’m not sure that currently available mpeg encoders are able to use both the GPU and CPU to improve encoding speed :frowning:

Just for curiosity: is a mini-ITX board with atom CPU good enough to build a NAS or a more powerful CPU is needed?

Thanks for any feedback :slight_smile:

Hi,[QUOTE=geno888;2554085]
I’m planning to build a new PC. [/quote]:eek: What about your wallet? :confused: :bigsmile:

What about AMD mainboards? There are many different chipsets and I have no idea which one is better.
They are all similar - with the same southbridge, the main difference is the IGP (or its absence). Unlike Intel, AMD chipsets are not equipped with PCIe bottlenecks.

Another feature I need is connectivity. So I need eSATA ports and possibly also USB3. Is it better to get a mainboard with these ports already onboard or a PCIe controller is the same thing (or better)? What controller?
If I remember correctly, then there is no chipset with integrated USB3.0 on the market. All motherboard manufacturers solder NEC controller chips on their PCB. So it’s simply a matter of taste and wallet, if you want to have the USB3 controller chip soldered on the motherboard or soldered onto the PCB of an add-on PCIe card.

What about graphic cards? Is it worth to get a nvidia Quadro card for mpeg encoding?
The advantage of Quadro cards is the certified drivers for business grade CAD application.
For your purpose, you can stick with the cheaper consumer cards.

Just for curiosity: is a mini-ITX board with atom CPU good enough to build a NAS or a more powerful CPU is needed?
Most commercially available NAS are based on Atom or even ARM systems. If you think this might not be good enough for your purpose, you can also build your NAS with some massively overclocked i7 990 Black Extreme Edition :bigsmile:

Michael

If you are planning on going the AMD route then this is the mobo I use it has everything
you mentioned 2 eSATA, 2 USB 3.0, Fire-wire, 6 SATA 6 Gb/s and 2 SATA 3Gb/s plugs and
I just love it. :iagree:

GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

The price is right on it now @ $93.99 or $83.99 with free shipping with promo code EMCZYNW64
until 11/03/2010 I paid $108.99 for it when I bought mine I might just go ahead and pick another
one up at that price. :bigsmile:

This would make you a decent setup for video editing

GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard $83.99

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core $209.99

Or maybe a Quad core for a little less money and almost the same performance
AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core $129.99

GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $199.99 or $189.99 after MIR

If you are not a big time gamer playing heavy duty games then this video card might work for you
GIGABYTE GV-N450OC-1GI GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready $139.99 or $129.99 after MIR

Total [B]$483.97 [/B]after MIR and promo code with 6 core

Total [B]$423.97 [/B]after MIR and promo code with 6 core and GTS450 video card

Total [B]$403.97 [/B]after MIR and promo code with quad core

Total [B]$343.97 [/B]after MIR and promo code with quad core and GTS450 video card

If you go Intel I’d recommend you to have a look at i5 760 which gives you a pretty good price / performance ratio without having the feature also working as a radiator.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/phenom-ii-x6-1075t-x4-970-x2-560_7.html#sect0

If you want AMD, go for a 880G based motherboard (with the SB850 southbridge) they’re giving you most bang for the buck even if you decide not to use the builtin graphics but have in mind that the CPUs are dispatching more heat than Intels couterparts in general although you get 6Gbit/s SATA “for free”. At the moment you wont get any better performance with 6Gbit/s but it might give you a bit more boost in the future. As for overall controller performance the builtin ones on both Intel and AMD chipsets performs just as good as hi-end if you don’t use RAID etc.

As for video cards there are a few applications that uses video card acceleration for encoding but they are so far they’re inferior to the “real” applications (x264, HC-Enc etc) but they’re faster at the expense of quality. Both ATi and nVidia have products that uses acceleration by the way. If you’re going for Adobe’s applications nVidia will give you a bit better playback as long as you have 768Mb of memory on your card or more as far as I can tell by reading a few forum posts.
http://blog.krama.tv/hacking-adobe-premiere-cs5-to-enable-more-nvidia-cuda-cards/
Other than that you might just as well go for integrated since it wont matter…

An Atom CPU may be suitable if you want to run something simple and/or don’t demand more than perhaps 20-30mbyte/s tops running RAID-5 or similar. I wouldn’t personally go below a dual core desktop CPU (like an E6500 or something similar) since NAS units usually does more than just being a NAS nowdays. FWIW, a friend of mine gets about 50 mbyte/s writing performance using Samba on a Celeron 430 CPU (pretty much equal to an Atom 330) with a RAID-Z array (ICH7 in AHCI mode) and that pretty much utilizes all CPU power available.

As for those who doesn’t read, Geno is in Italy and Newegg (or any other US store for that matter) isn’t suitable.

//Danne

My wallet indeed is worried :eek:

Thanks for suggestions :slight_smile:

I’ll have a look for prices :sad:

The more cores the better. Also a lot of encoders are using graphic card cores to offload some of the work so I suggest nVidia graphics with lots of Cuda cores.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2554155]The more cores the better. Also a lot of encoders are using graphic card cores to offload some of the work so I suggest nVidia graphics with lots of Cuda cores.[/QUOTE]

Yep couldn’t agree with you more :iagree: the GTX460 has 336 Cuda cores and 256 bit
memory and the GTS only has 192 Cuda cores and 128 bit memory :frowning: but as you
said the more cores the better. :iagree:

GTX460 = 336 Cuda cores
GTX465 = 352 Cuda cores
GTX470 = 448 Cuda cores
GTX480 = 480 Cuda cores

It doesn’t work that way all the time…
//Danne

If I were you, i’d first look at the software package/packages you wish to use for editing/encoding the video, and then build the system around those packages.
I think you will find that most of them are optimised for the Intel platform.
An i7 will give you a boost for encoding with its HT technology, but this is not huge compared to an i5 750/760, and an i5 runs a lot cooler than an i7.

Saying you go socket 1156 then I can recommend the GigaByte GA-P55A-UD4, it’s fast and rock solid, and a modest overclock can be had even by a complete novice, safely. With a modest overclock it will out-pace much more expensive CPUs which are not overclocked.

For a graphics card, if you are not a gamer, then don’t go for a high end nVidia, as already pointed out CUDA doesn’t make a great deal of difference at the moment, as very few software packages can make full use of CUDA.

Also keep in mind. High end CPUs and graphics cards have larger power requirements, and produce more heat, so don’t forget to budget for a good quality PSU, and a case with very good cooling. My personal favourite for a case is the Antec 900/1200 series, where ventilation is excellent, and they also run quiet.

I have just (last night before beers) ordered this Dell. I think the package should be fairly well optimised for what you are doing too…at least compare what you can get this way with what you want to build, and the price…

It´s a [B]Dell Vostro 430 i7[/B], and I paid €899

Intel Core i7-860 Prozessor (up to 3,46 GHz, 8 MB Cache), Quad-Core
6 GB DDR3-1333 RAM (up to 16 GB) 4 DIMM-Slots, with 3x 2 GB
Intel P57 Express Chipsatz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 1GB
NVIDIA® PureVideo® Technologie
NVIDIA-CUDAâ„¢-Technologie; NVIDIA-PhysXâ„¢-Technologie
2x 500 GB SATA 7200 U/min RAID1
10x USB 2.0 etc
5.1 Kanal HD Audio onboard
Windows 7 Professional 64

Thanks everybody for your suggestions :slight_smile:

I’m currently negotiating with the wallet trying to build a list of components :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2554088]Most commercially available NAS are based on Atom or even ARM systems. If you think this might not be good enough for your purpose, you can also build your NAS with some massively overclocked i7 990 Black Extreme Edition :bigsmile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

Actually there is a good reason why I asked this. My concern was not to the CPU power, but the durability in time of these components. I currently have this mini-ITX board and one of the two onboard SATA controllers failed after few months.

If a NAS is supposed to run 24/7, how can I trust in a board failing after few months? This is why I asked about Atom boards to be used as NAS :slight_smile:

If you’re going to be using the X264 encoder (found in most free encoding programs that work with Blu ray), then you’ll find there is no bias towards Intel. Number of cores counts for a lot with this encoder, though the Intel i7 quad core cpu’s are neck and neck with the AMD 6 core cpu’s. The AMD 6 core cpus’s are just less expensive for the performance they provide with this particular task, with this specific encoder.

On virtually everything else, the Intel processors (at similar price ranges) will win the benchmarks. Whether you notice this or not in real life use is debatable.

By the way, Intel’s Sandy Bridge processors are expected in the spring. Oooooh…new and shiny! :bigsmile:

Well Intel is going to abandon the 1156 and 1366 sockets. AMD will still use the AM3 socket with their next architecture. So you can factor that in if you like. Also instead of a dedicated graphics card it would be better to go for 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB (if you budget allows).

I’m still contemplating my next build. There are great combo deals for AMD boards in the US at the Microcenter store. What’s preventing me from grabbing a 1055T 6-core combo is the fact that the 1065T is coming out shortly and its TDP will be 95W instead of 125W. I like the AMD value but when it comes to gaming Intel still leads, so I’m a little torn when it comes to that.

Aren’t you in Italy? Are there any online stores that you use?

[QUOTE=eric93se;2554332]Well Intel is going to abandon the 1156 and 1366 sockets. AMD will still use the AM3 socket with their next architecture. So you can factor that in if you like. Also instead of a dedicated graphics card it would be better to go for 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB (if you budget allows).

I’m still contemplating my next build. There are great combo deals for AMD boards in the US at the Microcenter store. What’s preventing me from grabbing a 1055T 6-core combo is the fact that the 1065T is coming out shortly and its TDP will be 95W instead of 125W. I like the AMD value but when it comes to gaming Intel still leads, so I’m a little torn when it comes to that.

Aren’t you in Italy? Are there any online stores that you use?[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

:eek: I had no idea that 1156 and 1366 were already at end of life :doh:

Indeed I’ll use the free software available around the net, so a multicore CPU is a must :slight_smile:

What’s so good in Sandy Bridge processors exactly?

If is worth to wait some time my wallet surely agree :bigsmile:

Usually stores where I buy are

store 1
store 2
store 3

but these are not a must. I can buy wherever I can find good prices and quality service :slight_smile:

Well just with the first store a couple choices.
1:GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 (AM3) AMD870 6xSATA3 2xSATA2 Raid FW au8CH 2xPCI-E with AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (AM3) Six Core 2,8Ghz 265€
With that you get a lot of sata 6 connections. Future CPU upgradable. Latest audio chipset.

2: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 (S1156) iP55 DDR3 8xSATA2 Raid au8CH 2xPCI-E with INTEL Core i5-760 (S1156) 2.8Ghz Quad Core 282€
With that system you only get 2 sata 6 connections. Not future CPU upgradable. Previous audio chipset.

If you have an older video card that should work fine. There are some good deals on older cards on ebay for example, as long as it has DVI ouput and its not too old. An 8600GS would do fine.

[QUOTE=geno888;2554382]:eek: I had no idea that 1156 and 1366 were already at end of life :doh:

Indeed I’ll use the free software available around the net, so a multicore CPU is a must :slight_smile:

What’s so good in Sandy Bridge processors exactly?

If is worth to wait some time my wallet surely agree :bigsmile:
[/QUOTE]

and when sandybridge will be on the shops, then you will get the next question from your wallet,
How expensive is this sandybridge?
Also as far as i remember intel+budget dont get together very well, the amd option looks very good :cool:

btw, even now the i5 is a very powerful CPU mine is only running at 3.2Ghz and it takes about 40 minutes to convert a blu ray to a 720p mkv file (using ripbot264).

@ eric93se
Why claim that it’s a next gen/latest audio chipset when there’s no documentation available whether its better or worse?
If you’re going to claim that AMD will be future proof have a look at how they did in the past… AM2, AM2+, AM3… I’m quite sure it’ll repeat itself next gen which will render it uselss in the end.

In general…

Having another serious discussion is if you [B]really[/B] need more than 6 SATA connections. The answer to that question is probably no…

As for the choices above I wouldn’t personally go for either motherboard but CPU-wise the Intel since its superior in pretty much everything and Intel chipsets are faster than AMD. Having price in mind it really doesn’t differ much if any at all. Looking at motherboards I’d have a look at Q57 chipset based one (these are business orientated meaning good stuff) or MSIs GD65-series. For AMD I’d have a look at a Gigabyte’s 880G-based solutions.

Waiting for something better is pointless, in that case you can wait 5 years from now since you’ll get something better than what next gen is offering.

//Danne

I’m pretty sure the latest Realtek chip supports the latest loss-less audio, I’m not saying it leaps and bounds ahead, but it is the latest.

The AM3 socket is going to be succeeded by the AM3+ AFAIK, but is supposed to be compatible with the AM3 socket.

And I do agree that one does not need multiple SATA3 ports, because only SSD drives can take advantage of that speed.

I guess I’m just a little biased becuase in the US we can get a MB basically for free (or upgraded for 10-30$) at Microcenter, basically saving $100. But I do like the next gen chips working with the AM3 socket. And I do like the native SATA6 on the board.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2554390]Well just with the first store a couple choices.
1:GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 (AM3) AMD870 6xSATA3 2xSATA2 Raid FW au8CH 2xPCI-E with AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (AM3) Six Core 2,8Ghz 265€
With that you get a lot of sata 6 connections. Future CPU upgradable. Latest audio chipset.[/QUOTE]

That is the motherboard I’m using and as I said in my other post I absolutely love it :clap: :clap:

@DiiZzY this is by far the best sounding on-board sound that I have ever owned everything
else pails in comparison to it except for a high dollar dedicated sound card. Do you own this
particular on-board sound card on your mobo if not then before you go saying things like this
[B]Please don’t take this as me being sarcastic or anything that is not my intention[/B]
(“Why claim that it’s a next gen/latest audio chipset when there’s no documentation available
whether its better or worse?”)

[B]take it from someone that does own it yes it is better.[/B]

And as for needing more than 6 SATA connections I have 8 but need at least 11