Suggestions for a DW1655 replacement

vbimport

I started digging through the forums, then thought maybe I’d call in a favor from some old friends. I’ve been out of the DVD scene for a long time now so I’m hoping to get a recommendation or two. After a couple of years of trusty burning and light-scribing, alas my poor BenQ 1655 seems to be on it’s last legs. Starting to get verification errors on multiple iso’s including ones I know are fine. Only using high quality verbs and have tried more than one spindle to be sure. So far the issue is only happening on single layer burns, the dual layer ones have been working fine.

Anyway, I’m going to go pick up a new drive soon. It was probably about time anyway. The local computer shop only carries these Samsung and LG models. I’m thinking I might as well go with a SATA, and I need Lightscribe. I still run a quality scan with Nero CD-DVD speed a few discs per spindle so I’d like to make sure I can continue to do that. I do a lot of dual layer burning so quality dual layer burns are a must. Finally, I also need a drive that can bit set DVD+R and DVD+R DL. If I have to get a different brand I could order from NCIX.com but I’d rather not pay almost $10 shipping on a $30 drive.

So what say you grand CD-freakians®?!?

Oh, and hi by the way! :bigsmile:

Aww … gee … it’s been about 2 years since I needed to buy a DVDwriter … I still have 6 working DVDRW’s …
Sorry, can’t help you old man :wink:

Cool T-Shirt BTW :wink:

Help for Ssseth is on the way :iagree:

[QUOTE=deanimator;2472782]Help for Ssseth is on the way :iagree:[/QUOTE]
Thanks but useless flying kitty is useless to me.

[QUOTE=debro;2472757]Aww … gee … it’s been about 2 years since I needed to buy a DVDwriter … I still have 6 working DVDRW’s …
Sorry, can’t help you old man :wink:

Cool T-Shirt BTW ;)[/QUOTE]
Ya mine was bought a little over 2 years ago as well. Guess I’ve put it through a ton of burning since. I think it’s all that lighscribing that’s done me in. I plan on keeping the 1655 for lightscribe only work once I get a new drive. Although I’d still like the new one to be able to do it incase the 1655 dies all together.

I am getting old aren’t I. I can’t believe it was almost 7 years ago when I first joined here. Yikes, time sure flies. Turned the big 30 earlier this year.

hint hint :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2472878]hint hint :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
My local supplier only has LG and Samsung drives. Even the online one I mentioned (NCIX.com) doesn’t carry Optiarc so doesn’t look like that is going to be an option for me. Thanks for the hint though. Any suggestions other than that?

Newegg Canada… http://www.newegg.ca/

I believe this Lite-on uses the same NEC chipset as that Optiarc geno mentioned: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106335

I don’t believe we’ve met, hi :slight_smile:

Thanks but that would be over $50 with shipping. I’d rather just head down to the local store and pick one up for $30. So do either of the Samsung SH-S223L or LG GH22LP20 do error checking, bitsetting and decent DVD+R DL burning? Or are they crap?

I found another local retailer that has some LiteOn drives. Do either of these ones have this coveted NEC chipset you speak of?

IHAP422-98 LightScribe
IHAS422-08 LightScribe

I don’t trust really on LG drives :frowning:

Maybe you can find something on ebay?

I don’t want to order online. I want to go pick up one after work today or tomorrow. What about those two LiteOn’s or the Samsung, I’m sure one of them would do the trick?

According to this post the 08 drive should be better if you want to do scans :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2472963]According to this post the 08 drive should be better if you want to do scans :)[/QUOTE]
Ya was just doing some digging myself and figured out:

IHAP422-98 LightScribe - Rebaged Optiarc, NEC chipset
IHAS422-08 LightScribe - Genuine LiteOn, MediaTek chipset

Not sure what the difference between the HAP and HAS is though… anyway, so you were saying the NEC chipset is actually a good thing though right? I want to do regular PIE/PIF scanning from time to time, not overly concerned with jitter though. I’d rather have quality burning over jitter scanning.

So is the IHAP422-98 my winner, winner chicken dinner then? It can bitset and is a decent DL burner I take it? I only feed my drives quality media as well.

Hi Ssseth…I remember you from long time back, though I was not all that active in the forums then.

I don’t really trust my Optiarc 7240s (NEC chipset)for scans. This Lite-on might be better, but you should really ask the folks in the Lite-on forum about scanning with it. Scans with NEC chipset should be done at 5x in Nero CD/DVD Speed.

Should be very good for DL burns.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2472990]Hi Ssseth…I remember you from long time back, though I was not all that active in the forums then.

I don’t really trust my Optiarc 7240s (NEC chipset)for scans. This Lite-on might be better, but you should really ask the folks in the Lite-on forum about scanning with it. Scans with NEC chipset should be done at 5x in Nero CD/DVD Speed.

Should be very good for DL burns.[/QUOTE]
Yes it was quite a few years back. :slight_smile:

I could just keep my BenQ 1655 for scanning, it’s still capable of that. I’m more concerned with burning quality than scanning. I’ll continue to poke around, although I have a feeling I’ll just end up going with the LiteOn. I always was a little bit of a LiteOn fanboy. The BenQ is the first non LiteOn drive I ever used as my primary burner.

Thanks for your help guys.

I’m not fully sure, but P should stand for IDE and S for SATA.

[QUOTE=Ssseth;2472971]anyway, so you were saying the NEC chipset is actually a good thing though right? I want to do regular PIE/PIF scanning from time to time, not overly concerned with jitter though. I’d rather have quality burning over jitter scanning.

So is the IHAP422-98 my winner, winner chicken dinner then? It can bitset and is a decent DL burner I take it? I only feed my drives quality media as well.[/QUOTE]

No, NEC drives, as already said Kerry, are not reliable for scans, but are excellent writers. I would get the Mediatek drive for scans and the NEC drive for burns :bigsmile:

Liteon drives were never as good as Pioneer for example in writing quality in my personal experience. I for the most use liteon drives for scans only :doh:

@Ssseth

If it’s not too late, I would go for the Samsung SH-S202J (even though it’s PATA and no Lightscribe), or search out a SATA version with Lightscribe (SH-S203N/P). Got 2 20x Samsungs myself and they are great all rounders - excellent DVD & CD writers (better jitter than my new Plextor Premium-U), excellent readers of damaged CDs & decent DVD scanners. But don’t get a 22x or 24x Samsung (unless you only want to use it for reading).

The perfect companion for a Benq (can only fit 2 drives in my case), been using that combination for over 2 years.

If the option still exists, maybe a mod could split these technical questions off into the CD and DVD Writers forum? Sorry, I probably should have just posted there in the first place. Thread title: “Suggestions for a DW1655 replacement?”

[QUOTE=Ibex;2473275]@Ssseth

If it’s not too late, I would go for the Samsung SH-S202J (even though it’s PATA and no Lightscribe), or search out a SATA version with Lightscribe (SH-S203N/P). Got 2 20x Samsungs myself and they are great all rounders - excellent DVD & CD writers (better jitter than my new Plextor Premium-U), excellent readers of damaged CDs & decent DVD scanners. But don’t get a 22x or 24x Samsung (unless you only want to use it for reading).

The perfect companion for a Benq (can only fit 2 drives in my case), been using that combination for over 2 years.[/QUOTE]
I haven’t ordered quite yet. I have been digging though threads and scan results for the last couple of days now. Thanks for the suggestion, but if I’m going to order online I think I may just end up going with the Optiarc AD-7241S since it gets such high praise around here. I do a fair amount of DL burning so that is important to me and apparently that drive is the king of DL burns. I’ll just keep my 1655 in my computer for scanning.

Although, I just spent the last while looking at scans of DL media from the Optiarc AD-7240S/7241S/7243S Results & Discussion thread and besides the one (almost abnormally perfect) burn on MKM003’s by vroom, the drive didn’t seem that special at DL compared to some of the other recommended drives kicking around. I only will feed my burner MKM001/03 DL media by the way.

Anyway I hope to come to a final decision in the next day or so. I’ll probably dig around a bit more tomorrow at work.

Thanks for splitting the topic off for me geno!

Anyone else who wants to chime in, by all means I’m all ears. :slight_smile:

So I ended up ordering a Optiarc 7241S from NCIX.com (in Canada). I had to do a phone in order for some reason since it wouldn’t let me add to cart online. Anyway, it should be here in a week or so. I’ll try and remember to post some quality scans when it shows up. Thanks for your help everyone.