Suggestion Wanted on a Panasonic DVD Standalone Recorder

vbimport

Hello all -

Well I have been following the Lite-On Forum for sometime now (I am a more frustrated then proud owner of the notorious LVW-5005) and have been considering purchasing a Panasonic DVD-Recorder, and I am curious for what I want to do which would be the best match.

First off I currently have a LVW-5005 recorder which is made by Lite-On, which is actually a solid little recorder when it’s actually working - but that’s rarely as it has a whole host of bugs and drive problems that have caused me to return it twice now for new drives, and I’m getting tired of it – and I liked a UK review on a Panasonic DMR-ES10 (I live in the US, do they make a model for here too?). Basically here is what I want to do:

I want to dub old VHS tapes (mostly old sports programming and home movies) to DVD-R’s. Maintaining the original picture quality is the most important, and I would primarily be using the 2-Hour speed, although I’m curious to see what kind of quality you get on Panasonic’s 4-Hour mode as opposed to the LVW-5005’s 3-hour mode which I believe uses fewer lines of resolution. I don’t really have a need for DV link, but I’d like to have choices for inputs/outputs, such as the component, composite and s-video connectors. The stereo analogue tuner would be nice (the LVW-5005’s is mono) and a HD is not really necessary, but if I could get a machine that did all of that that I didn’t have to replace every two weeks for around $300 US, then I’d be a happy camper :smiley:

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rob,

Monday, I returned a Liteon LVW-5005 that I had purchased 4 days earlier. I could never get it to finalize a disc when I used the DV input. I was using Taiyo DVD-R. I had read about all the problems with the 5005, but I thought I may get lucky and get a good one. I was wrong. I bought it at Costco which has a very liberal return policy. Thats the only reason I took the chance.

When I took the 5005 back, I got a Panasonic DMR-ES10 for $180. Tonight I copied a tape from my digital camcorder. The ES10 has no DV input, so I used the s-video and composite audio. The tranferred footage turned out clean on the ES10. I played the DVD on my 63’ tv and it looked good.

One thing that bothered about the audio on the burned Liteon DVD’s was that I always had to switch to the analog setting on my home theater system to get sound. With the ES10 I just stick the burned DVD in and it plays perfectly, audio and video. I’ve only had it for 1 day, but I feel much more confident with the ES10. I’m not holding my breathe every time I hit a button.

i have an ES10 and i think the unit is awesome for the price. 2hr and 3hr stuff looks as good as if your were watching it in real time. i give the ES10 a 2 big thumbs up. get one and i believe you will be happy as I am :slight_smile:

Another ES10 here. On a big hi-res screen, you can see the difference between XP, SP and LP, but the differences are not huge. It’s a fine little recorder for the price, and no bugs that I’ve been able to see. Also makes high-quality burns on a wide range of -/+ R high speed media.

I posted some burn tests HERE.

Well I’ll joined the line as another happy ES10 owner. Overall quality has been better than expected. Some of the movies I’ve recorded has produced excellent results. In “Underworld” the darks were dark and not muddy. In “Troy” and “Seabiscuit” colors were crisp with little or no shimmering. In “Seabiscuit” the horse races were clean and non-jagged. I don’t even think of buying a DVD now unless it has a outstanding DD/DTS track.

I’ve got Dish and a VCR connected and with the VCR tapes it’s done a great job as well. I haven’t really tested the video/audio output since I use it for record and my Pioneer 563 for playing which hasn’t had a problem. I do however have to use DVD-R discs since the +R ones don’t play in the Pioneer. The Flex recording mode is nice and with three sets of inputs you can’t go wrong. I’ve been to three other Video forums and this Panasonic continues getting high marks. A great value indeed.

Kenny J

Don’t forget you can lighten or darken the video inputs in the ES10 settings. (composite and SVHS). Outputs too.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I really do appreciate the insight. The Lite On has just been far too flakey, it seems like there is more stability with the Panasonic, as far as a no-frills, DVD recorder.

One other question – how sensitive is the macrovision protection on the Panasonic ES10? Sometimes when you try to dub something using the Lite On LVW-5005 it reports that it’s a copy protected tape, even when it isn’t (on a couple of my home movie tapes for example.) Although I suppose I could just get a Time Base Corrector to solve that if it’s really sensitive, something I should probably get anyways to help with my really old VHS tapes.

Thanks again!

not sure about macrovision but it has played everthing i have put into it. just get one, i assure you won’t regret it. a very nice unit for $$$

Hi Folks

I bought the PANASONIC ES10 on Friday. So far I have been very happy with everything other than it has no coaxial out for surround sound and a few other annoying attributes. Such as, there is no flexibility with the time counter from the status menu; my old Toshiba video allowed you to see how far into a DVD you were and how much was remaining. Am I right that with this you only see the time counted down ie 1:20 but no time remaining? I found this feature very useful when wanting to know how much of a film was left. Am I doing something wrong or is this feature lacking on the Pan? I have also found that when recording a 4:3 ratio film or show or playing back burns of a 4:3 ratio that the DVD just stretches the image to fit my TV. Is there any way I can select an auto ratio select for this? Again, with the Toshiba DVD it always recognised the ratio. However, the ES10 seems to be fine with pre-recorded DVDs… it’s just that the Tosh did it with everything. Other than these slightly annoying points the PAN seems bloody brill!!! Any help to overcome these issues would be appreciate.
Thanks
Jon