Suggestion to replace my DW1620

It’s been a fun a long fun journey…after thousands of burns, my BenQ DW1620 finally died. And it didn’t even die a natural death. One of my kids opened the drawer and snapped it. :sad:

Any recommendations for a replacement? I don’t think any of the trusty DW1620, DW1640, DW1655 drives are available anymore. I’m a snob, too…I’ll admit it. I only burn with YUDEN000 T02 media from Rima, so any recommendations for an internal drive that might make me as happy as I was with my DW1620?

Thanks!

You might try eBay where some Benqs appear at times, and a LiteOn is probably your best option in new drives if scanning is important. Personally I prefer Pioneer which has best DVD burn quality IMO, and scanning is unimportant to me.

There are some people in this forum with -a lot- more than one Nexperia based BenQ dvd recorders kept as spare drives.
If you beg enough and pay what they ask, they might sell you one.

[QUOTE=spooks;2207225]It’s been a fun a long fun journey…after thousands of burns, my BenQ DW1620 finally died. And it didn’t even die a natural death. One of my kids opened the drawer and snapped it. :sad:[/quote]You have my sympathy :sad: :flower:

Any recommendations for a replacement? I don’t think any of the trusty DW1620, DW1640, DW1655 drives are available anymore. I’m a snob, too…I’ll admit it. I only burn with YUDEN000 T02 media from Rima, so any recommendations for an internal drive that might make me as happy as I was with my DW1620?
I have occasionally read of the Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+Rs that they are “Drive Whores” i.e. they’ll take on any drive, any time. I only ever use mine on my crossflashed BenQ DW1640 with WOPC off, for the most part, but really YUDEN000 T02s should do nicely no matter which drive you choose.

Nexperia BenQs can be found on eBay from time to time, both sold as BenQ and as rebadged drives sold under an OEM like Sony, Plextor, Philips etc that can be crossflashed back. Notable examples are the Sony DRU-810 range and the Plextor PX-740A, which is a DW1640, and the Philips DVD8601 - DVD8801
At the present time, there is one Nexperia BenQ drive up for grabs on eBay, an EW1621 (DW1620 in external housing) here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BenQ-EW1621-16X-DVD-Double-Layer-Rewriter_W0QQitemZ120368577618QQihZ002QQcategoryZ96914QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If this is not an option, and general burning is all you want, the (NEC) Optiarc 7200/7201/7203 range are good all rounders but you don’t get the detailed scanning results, with Jitter and PO reporting. Of course, PO reporting isn’t really needed when you’re using YUDEN000 T02 :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Some people here have got good scanning details with Liteon drives but they’re crappy CD burners and modern ones don’t read CDs with back or dark substrates.

In summary, my advice is this: Look around for another Nexperia BenQ most likely on the 2nd hand market, if that is not an option, consider a replacement DVDRW drive from the Optiarc 7200 range.

I have a list of Nexperia BenQ crossflashes somewhere, I’ll dig it up tomorrow and post it to help you if you want to try that.

I’m partial to Pioneer drives for best DVD burn quality with the media I use, and they burn YUDEN000 T02 as good as any drive. If you can get a Pioneer DVR-115/215(D) that would be an excellent choice.

I’m not thrilled by the burn quality of my Pioneer DVR-116 in general, but that’s mostly a problem with some DVD-R media (not DVD+R).

The Optiarc AD-5200/7200/7201/7203A/S are also very good and can perform Disc Quality Scans (unlike the Pioneers) but a LiteOn is better for DVD scanning.

:iagree:
Now that NXP (Philips Nexperia) is out of business you better get a NEC chipset drive. Pioneer is the best replacement IMO. :flower:

Further info: one of the more common rebadges, the Plextor PX-740A, which is a BenQ DW1640 “under the hood” is still widely available on ebay - including a bunch of used ones for $34.99, or best offer here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Plextor-PX-740A-Internal-Drive-16X-DVD-RW-DL-Burner-BLK_W0QQitemZ350154042570QQihZ022QQcategoryZ51065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you’re willing to void any guarantee and do a little hacking, i.e. following some simple crossflashing instructions, you can get a Nexperia BenQ DW1640 (or EW1641) by the back door.

between my BenQ 1640, Pioneer 115D and Optiarc 7201A. the optiarc burns Yuden T02 the best of my drives. i can even burn them at 16x with excellent results.

edit// the link seanw posted is the same seller i bought my benq 1640 from. yes i bought a plextor 740A and crossflashed to BenQ 1640 external firmware BEFB 164B :slight_smile: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/benq-dvd-writer-vanishing-192997/index114.html#post2149174

+1 to the above - the (NEC) Optiarc 7200s are probably among the best all-rounders.

BTW how did you get your BenQ to show both recording drive info and (what is presumably) writing speed on DVD+R scans? Is that some kind of bonus you got for using BEFB firmware?

BTW how did you get your BenQ to show both recording drive info and (what is presumably) writing speed on DVD+R scans? Is that some kind of bonus you got for using BEFB firmware?

ner0 cd-dvd speed create disc. :slight_smile: