Suggestion for firmware?

I’m not that big of a noob, I have general knowledge in most aspects of windows and computers, and have been toying with mpgs, svcds, and burners forever.
With that said, I just got a 411s for christmas and was wondering if I should upgrade the firmware, and if so to what version. I have burned 2 dvds with tmpgenc dvd author and its dvd writer, and copied a dvd with nero 6. So far it has been just as I hoped. I have only used hp dvd+r so far, and they seem to work fine.
My memorex cd-r’s didn’t work though, but i still have my cd-rw installed so not so concerned.
I couldn’t really get from the faq the purpose of upgrading my firmware, and if it was a risk. If I do upgrade, will some media work that at it’s current state doesn’t? Might i run into problems during or after flashing to new firmware?

Thank you in advance.

What are you guys afraid of…beware the noob question!

Anyone think I should go FSOF or FSOG? Or just leave my drive alone till I get a problem?
I hope you guys are the lite-on pros I thought you were.

No. Do not upgrage to fsog. Liteon has removed it from their website. It has bugs that they are fixing. So sit tight and see how your burner works with the current firmware.
Peace

If you plan on buying DVD-R media or backing up any xbox games FS0F helps improve compatibility.

You might want to wait a few weeks for the next update (a fix to FS0G) as the newer firmware will allow you to use the new bit setting tool which greatly improves DVD+R compatibility with set top DVD players (and ps2/xbox I think).

If you are happy with everything the way it’s working now then don’t worry about it.

FS0F is fine, FS0H will be out shortly and also should be fine.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

How soon? I have no way to reinstall the old firmware.

No way to know for sure. Probably within 2-4 weeks.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

Agreed.

BUT you can’t use the bit setting tool with FS0F yet (correct me if I’m wrong).
I’m sure it will work with the FS0H though.