Suggestion: CDF Review of eSATA external enclosure for Optical drives

Many newer motherboards are now featuring an eSATA port. Some PCI add-in cards with SATA controllers are also being produced with one or more eSATA ports. It’s only a matter of time to find them on notebooks as well(if not already produced.)
eSATA signal specifications are “tighter” than normal SATA to allow for longer cable length and the connectors have been redesigned to allow moving the cables outside the case safely and securely.
Most consumer external enclosures to date have been based on USB 2.0, FireWire (a) or FireWire (b) buses for PATA- IDE drives, which necessitate translation of the transmitted data from the ATA protocol to USB or FireWire protocol through use of a “bridge” chipset.
Now with the increasing trend of optical manufacturers moving to produce consumer SATA drives, an eSATA based external enclosure seems optimal for such drives.
I would like to make the following suggestion to CDFreaks Reviewers Staff:
Take the initiative to investigate this new eSATA offering by testing an eSATA external enclosure with a few currently available SATA drives connected to a mainboard-based eSATA port and produce a review of it.
SATA optical drives are now plentiful compared to 2 years ago and reading throughout this forum it seems more and more CDF members are moving their burners “outside”(this is really true for notebook owners) & making them portable-- so I think such a review would be appreciated by many.
BTW, if anyone knows of a site which has already done such a review–please post a link to it. :flower:

It’s a good idea, I could use one myself, with all internal SATA ports already used for something, but where are the 5.25" external eSATA enclosures? I look at newegg.com and every one of 60+ eSATA enclosures is either a 2.5" or a 3.5" meant for a hard drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090092%201054207137&bop=And&DisplayStyle=4

agent009,
Here is a link provided by buggeritt
http://www.usb-ware.com/sata-5-25-enclosure.htm
which gives a view of an eSATA enclosure.
The link was found in the Asus writer sub-forum.

I think, as a general rule, from my experience with placing internal drives into various enclosures, if the transfer rate of the link is sufficient to support a burn speed, quality is identical to that of an internal setup.

When we run into link speed limitations [somewhere around 16x with USB 2.0 and 18x with Firewire 400] the burns take a few extra seconds and contain a few more PIFs, in case of DVDs; you can see an example here: http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/LG-GSA-H22N-Super-Multi-DVD-Burner-Review/Advanced-tests.html [scroll past the sheep test]

A good eSATA enclosure should make an SATA burner perform identically to an internal SATA setup. Besides the data rate of the link and the quality of the power supply in the enclosure, what other variables would you expect to affect reading or writing in an eSATA enclosure?

The main advantage of eSATA, as I recall, is that it is hot swappable. This is an advantage with a hard drive, but for a regular external connection you simply need to power up the device before you turn on the computer. It would be an interesting idea to have either in a 5.25 enclosure, but I also have yet to see one.

I have the enclosure spoken of by uSerKey. It performs excellent. Inside of it is a Pioneer 212D. I am using this because I just got my first notebook and it happens to have an onboard esata port. I also purchased a 2 port raid5 express card that is running a 5 bay port multiplier with 5 500GB Seagates and a single esata 3.5inch external esata enclosure with a 750GB Seagate in it. They all perform phenomonally. I wanted the esata burner since the insternal drives on notebooks are so damned slow. I am very happy I did. The only issue I have with the 5.25 enclosure is size. It is the only single 5.25 esata I have been able to find and they felt it necessary to waste space on it with a fan and about 15 cubic inches of empty space inside. It could be much smaller without all of this. no need for a fan with a burner and also it could be aluminum. I am sure more enclosures will be made for this purpose and hopefully very soon. There is no reason for them to cost so much either. They will come down in price as soon as more companies realize there is a market for them and start to compete. It seems that this is the only one of it’s genre so they feel just fine exploiting any of us that want to get one now

@buggerritt do you have a good scanning drive to post some scans please?

sorry. I only have pioneer burners. 1 is a 112D that i crossflashed to 112L 8.09 and the other is a 212D 1.21 firmware.

buggerritt,
Can you burn a DVD using CD-DVD Speed and post screenshots of the burn and a TRT(include Burst Test) using the drive in the enclosure? :flower: