Suggested ads come to Firefox beta

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Suggested ads come to Firefox beta[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/05/firefox-icon-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/suggested-ads-come-to-firefox-beta-76118/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Mozilla has been suffering from mission creep for years now with Firefox gaining bloat at a record pace:

Version 1: 4721KB
Version 2: 5907KB
Version 3: 7328KB
Version 4: 12229KB
Version 10: 15423KB
Version 15: 17374KB
Version 20: 20544KB
Version 25: 22743KB
Version 30: 29138KB
Version 35: 38960KB

So a bloated organization releasing a progressively more bloated piece of software needs an ever increasingly bloated budget and in order to obtain the funds they need to keep their swollen nonprofit institute lumbering around they’re going to cut off their nose by injecting ads no one wants directly into their meal ticket. What could go wrong?

Good thing I used the PC “hosts” file edit that kills any pops and redirects… :smiley: One would be amazed the day/night difference with the edit-you can surf the net without be bombarded with junk and hidden malware sites…make it more enjoyable to use the internet. Even for my family members computes whom I did this for never notices it but find internet more useful.

What is the hosts file edit that you refer to? I ask as I know there are apps that edit your hosts file but what they do is add a whole ream of stuff to it and this actually for me slows down the PC itself.

I’ll let coolcolors go into the “how to” .
He’s the one that got me to use the “hosts” file.

There is a slight slow down for me when web surfing.
That’s the only time I notice it.
The host file is “filtering” & this takes some CPU resources.
The faster your computer the less you will notice this.
AVs also slow the computer when filtering.

I don’t use an app to do the edit.
I just copy the file from the site coolcolors recommended.
I use MS Wordpad to edit the hosts file.
This is when I want to update the hosts file.

I also let Spybot S&D add what it does to the hosts file.
So mine is even larger .
I also have some special edits in it for Skype.

I’ve even had sites ask me to please let them show some adds so I think the hosts file must be working.

I also use adblock .

I only use FF on one OS though . My main browser is Opera Beta.

[QUOTE=Anthony1uk;2754323]What is the hosts file edit that you refer to? I ask as I know there are apps that edit your hosts file but what they do is add a whole ream of stuff to it and this actually for me slows down the PC itself.[/QUOTE]

Well I’ll give you the site and you can read up on it and see what you think…I have Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 just to let you know in-case someone tries it on another that is not Windows 7.

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

It does help with faster computer and more RAM helps as well. I ran the “hosts” edit on AMD 3.0ghz PHII and now a iNtel i5-4960K and haven’t noticed lags. I to notice no ads/popups/redirects and if redirects they come up as blank null white pages.

As Cholla mention its does what it does but there is a slight downside to it but in the end your internet will give you a far better experience using it. I’ll give you some other stuff you might need to edit just in-case it does show signs of slow down but that will be up to you to use it. And no they are malware/virus free I have nothing to gain from giving out free help. Also with this single PC “hosts” edit it works regardless of the PC Browser your using whether it be IE, Chrome, FF it will work on all of them preventing popups/ads/redirect that you can’t close fast enough. Like Cholla says the PC “hosts” is a filtering the internet sites. I just use Notepad to edit the PC “hosts” file itself but to copy the large custom “hosts” file into the PC “hosts” I use Word to copy and then paste it into notepad and then save it and change it to READ-Only. Then copy it to these location where it should go and overwrite the old “hosts” file

For Windows 9x and ME place this file at “C:\Windows\hosts”

For NT, Win2K and XP use “C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts”

or “C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts”

For Windows 7 and Vista use “C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts”

or “%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts”

For Windows 8 use “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts”

You may need to tell Windows Defender to ignore this path

see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2764944

You may have to use Notepad and “Run as Administrator”

For Linux, Unix, or OS X place this file at “/etc/hosts” or on some

systems at “/private/etc/hosts”. You will require root access to do

this. Saving this file to “~/hosts” will allow you to run something

like “sudo cp ~/hosts /etc/hosts”.

Ubuntu users who experience trouble with apt-get should consult

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-613521.html

For OS/2 copy the file to “%ETC%\HOSTS” and in the CONFIG.SYS file,

ensure that the line “SET USE_HOSTS_FIRST=1” is included.

For BeOS place it at “/boot/beos/etc/hosts”

On a Netware system, the location is System\etc\hosts"

For Macintosh (pre OS X) place it in the Mac System Folder or Preferences

folder and reboot. (something like HD:System Folder:Preferences:Hosts)

Alternatively you can save it elsewhere on your machine, then go to the

TCP/IP control panel and click on “Select hosts file” to read it in.

When set to Manual you can see that the above “Service” is [B]not[/B] needed (after a little browsing - when set to Manual) by opening the Services Editor again, scroll down to DNS Client and check the “Status” column. It should be blank, if it was needed it would show “Started” in that column. There are several Utilities that can reset the DNS Client for you … [more info]
[B]Important![/B] If you are using [B]Network Discovery[/B] then the DNS Client service is required and should [B]not[/B] be set to either Manual or Disabled.
[B]Workaround for using the MVPS HOSTS file and leaving the DNS Client service enabled[/B] (set to: Automatic)

[ul]
[li]If you find after a period of time that your browser seems sluggish with the DNS Client service enabled you can manually flush the DNS cache[/li]> [li]Close all browser windows … open a “Command Prompt” from the Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt[/li]> Win8 users - Charms Bar > Search > (type) command prompt > Select: Command Promt (left pane) Ok the UAC prompt
li [B]ipconfig /flushdns[/B] (press Enter) Then close the Command Prompt …[/li]> [/ul]
A better Win8/7/Vista/XP workaround would be to add two Registry entries to control the amount of time the DNS cache is saved. (KB318803)

[ul]
[li]Flush the existing DNS cache (see above)[/li]> [li]Start > Run (type) regedit[/li]> Win8 users - from the Charms Bar, select: Search (type) run and select Run (left pane) and (type) “regedit” (no quotes)
[li]Navigate to the following location:[/li]> [B]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters[/B]
[li]Click Edit > New > DWORD Value (type) [B]MaxCacheTtl[/B][/li]> [li]Click Edit > New > DWORD Value (type) [B]MaxNegativeCacheTtl[/B][/li]> [li]Next right-click on the [B]MaxCacheTtl [/B]entry (right pane) and select: Modify and change the value to [B]1[/B][/li]> [li]The [B]MaxNegativeCacheTtl entry [/B]should already have a value of [B]0[/B] (leave it that way - see screenshot)[/li]> [li]Close Regedit and reboot …[/li]> [li]As usual you should always backup your Registry before editing … see Regedit Help under “Exporting Registry files”[/li]> [/ul]

Here’s my lastest update to the hosts edit file itself…this file I did a slight MOD to it but the rest of it is all the same. Also the “hosts” file I changed to READ-ONLY to further protects it and it has worked fine. Also if you edit make a backup copy of it before doing so to another location for the backup “hosts” file and always save to the hosts file itself never save to hosts.txt that will not work.

As mention here:

This file must be saved as a text file with no extension. (This means

that the file name should be exactly as below, without a “.txt” appended.)

Let me repeat, the file should be named “hosts” NOT “hosts.txt”.

Here’s my change

#<localhost>
#127.0.0.1 localhost
#127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
#255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
#::1 localhost
#127.0.0.1 local
#fe80::1%lo0 localhost
#</localhost>

Note: I added the "#"
The Original

#<localhost>
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
127.0.0.1 local
#fe80::1%lo0 localhost
#</localhost>

This is my contribution if one uses it then that is their choice to do so. It’s alot of work but in the end your computer will be in a far better position when it goes online. I have to admit this is quite a extensive posting that I have created so far about editing the PC “hosts” file compared to previous posting on the same subject.

[QUOTE=cholla;2754324]I’ve even had sites ask me to please let them show some adds so I think the hosts file must be working.[/QUOTE]
I gotten some sites saying that very same thing as well and that is a good sign the PC “hosts” file is doing it’s job too good.

flushDNS.zip (354 Bytes)

@ coolcolors , I just used the registry settings in your post.
I will see how they work for me. I expect they will be what I want.

I keep a administrator level command as a desktop short cut.
Easier for me to use . The registry setting will probably let me use flushdns less.

For your # edit . I leave mine as the original. For the following reason:

Notice that most of the lines in the file begin with a pound sign (#). These are comments and they are ignored by Windows. Blank lines are also ignored. For lines that aren’t ignored, they are formatted simply as the IP address followed by whitespace and the name of the host system (or server) corresponding to that IP address.
If you examine a Hosts file, you may even notice that some lines have a pound sign at a position other than the first character. These are comments, as well, and everything after the pound sign is ignored.

I could be wrong about this but is there a reason you want Windows to ignore the following :

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
127.0.0.1 local

@cholla not really but I read my Windows 7 hosts file itself doesn’t use 127.0.0.1 so I tried it with the “#” infront of the 127 and so far it has worked without any problems. This is what it says on my Windows 7 Original hosts itself.

Below is the Original hosts and what it says for my Windows hosts file.

Copyright © 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.

This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

space.

Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

lines or following the machine name denoted by a ‘#’ symbol.

For example:

102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.

127.0.0.1 localhost

So I just followed the same with the edit hosts file itself as well. It does mentioned the localhosts name is handled in the DNS so that is why I did the same with the others.

@ coolcolors , Thanks ,
I will look into whether Windows 7 needs the 127.0.0.1 or the 0.0.0.0

The hosts file I’m using with Windows 7 uses 127.0.0.1 on all the filtered sites.
I’m using IPv4 & have IPv6 disabled.

I no longer have the original hosts file.
I didn’t plan to use it again so I didn’t keep it.
I guess I should have for reference anyway.

[QUOTE=cholla;2754395]@ coolcolors , Thanks ,
I will look into whether Windows 7 needs the 127.0.0.1 or the 0.0.0.0

The hosts file I’m using with Windows 7 uses 127.0.0.1 on all the filtered sites.
I’m using IPv4 & have IPv6 disabled.

I no longer have the original hosts file.
I didn’t plan to use it again so I didn’t keep it.
I guess I should have for reference anyway.[/QUOTE]

This is why I kept my original hosts file at the top of the edited hosts file. I added it to it rather then delete the original hosts file. I do know my router and ISP uses IPv4 & IPv6 as my router shows me the IPv6 connection.

Here’s what the site said about the 0’s

There is a version of this file that uses 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1

available at http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/zero/.

On some machines this may run minutely faster, however the zero version

[SIZE=2][B]may not be compatible with all systems[/B]. [/SIZE]

another site says this.

When a service is listening on 0.0.0.0 this means the service is listening on all the configured network interfaces, when listening on 127.0.0.1 the service is only bound to the loopback interface (only available on the local machine)

So far haven’t noticed any extra ads but I have all the adblockers and script stuff installed like I think most users would and I use the Nightlies that update about daily.

@ coolcolors ,
I found some information that the 0.0.0.0 might be faster but I think I will stick with the 127.0.0.1 for now anyway.

The wiki article had this as a suggestion (No instructions):
I don’t know how to do it . Do you ?

[3] Put your DNS servers in the hosts file. This can include other DNS servers other than your Primary and Secondary DNS servers in case your main DNS servers either conk out or suffer from DNS cache server poisoning. Why? Here we come to a chicken versus egg problem. You are trying to access the DNS server which you know by name, but you but can’t get the correct IP address any more because you either can’t get to the Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary DNS servers or you don’t trust them any more because you suspect they have DNS cache server poisoning. The cache server poisoning doesn’t happen all that often, but smaller DNS servers can and do die occasionally. Looking up a temporary replacement in the hosts file is a fast and efficient way to get you going again.

If you specify 127.0.0.1 as the IP address, the browser (or whatever) will try to connect to the local machine through the “loopback” interface and see if it can get something from a server process listening to the relevant port, e.g. a web server running on port 80.

If you specify 0.0.0.0 as the IP address, it is a “blackhole” address that cannot be reached and no attempt will be made to connect to it.
This is the faster option.

[QUOTE=cholla;2754405]@ coolcolors ,
I found some information that the 0.0.0.0 might be faster but I think I will stick with the 127.0.0.1 for now anyway.

The wiki article had this as a suggestion (No instructions):
I don’t know how to do it . Do you ?[/QUOTE]

I don’t have that set on my hosts file.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2754406]If you specify 127.0.0.1 as the IP address, the browser (or whatever) will try to connect to the local machine through the “loopback” interface and see if it can get something from a server process listening to the relevant port, e.g. a web server running on port 80.

If you specify 0.0.0.0 as the IP address, it is a “blackhole” address that cannot be reached and no attempt will be made to connect to it.
This is the faster option.[/QUOTE]

Here’s what another hosts editor site says:

[B]Important Note[/B]: The HOSTS file now contains a change in the prefix in the HOSTS entries to “0.0.0.0” instead of the usual “127.0.0.1”.
This was done to resolve a slowdown issue that occurs with the change Microsoft made in the “TCP loopback interface” in Win8.1.
So I guess this change for 127 is only for older O/S and 0’s are for Win8.xx

My updated hosts file as of 5-25-15 for the site update hosts file of 5-23-15 release.

@ coolcolors , My hosts file is about twice the size of yours uncompressed.
I know this is because I leave what Spybot S&D puts in it as well as the blocked sites from http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ where we get the updated hosts file .

I’ve also added this in the last couple of days :

#<prefered-sites>
212.83.220.196 www.club.myce.com
212.83.220.196 club.myce.com
#</prefered-sites>

This should work as long as the site doesn’t change the address.

From doing some reading on the hosts file .Since some web sites don’t like Ad Block Plus & some don’t work at all with it enabled.
I uninstalled Ad Block Plus & installed Ad Muncher free instead.
I will have to see how this works but so far so good.

@Cholla, I know what your talking about but I had like two different hosts file edits plus spybot and that was like huge. And I did a simple search to see who the blocks were common in each and found some and though oh well I take a bet with the current hosts file edit and go with that one. And that made it alot smaller to use.

I also found that spybot did block some legit sites and caused my broswer to have some issues with spybot so I decide against using spybot for blocks. That is what I decided on and so far it hasn’t caused me much problem going with one hosts blocker.

You might want to try just one hosts edit and not use spybot. I know it should work but for my needs using spybot I think hampers the system more then it helps especially if it is running and your system is running at the same time there is going to be conflict as a result of using to many different hosts file. It does sound scary to not use spybot edits but I found the current hosts I used seems to have held out on its own and is working good so far. Just like your adblock I also in the past had issues using it and it blocked legit sites as well and that didn’t help to use the internet. So I have done like you did but in the past and stuck to one PC hosts file because it was easier to edit and keep it on track. If you don’t keep the PC hosts up to date as long as you still have the latest update it will still work and do it’s job.

I know how frustrating those sites can be I was on the internet before the internet really got going and those ads where coming fast and furious and I was like “Just die” you ads/popups. I was so frustrated I tried what you did and by chance I found this PC hosts site and tried the different files and it was like “night/day” difference using the internet. And that is when I started to really learning more about those two sites and finally narrowed done to the site I listed to use that PC hosts edit file and I’ve been happy since that time and even if those sites attempt to open a new page it is null white page saying can’t reach or open the site. I was yeah, eat that you adsware/popups… lol…

So I am try to pass this knowledge onto others and if they choose to use it then they do and if not then it’s their choice.
I know by setting the IP to use is good but I thought I can live without having to do that. And so far I been ok not doing the settings your doing.

@ coolcolors , I plan to uninstall Spybot S&D . Then see how it works.
I can always install it again .

I have some additional information . I might have PMed to coolcolors or at least part of it .I found out he doesn’t accept PMs.
I found this at Wikipedia on the hosts file but didn’t know how to do it:

Put your DNS servers in the hosts file. This can include other DNS servers other than your Primary and Secondary DNS servers in case your main DNS servers either conk out or suffer from DNS cache server poisoning. Why? Here we come to a chicken versus egg problem. You are trying to access the DNS server which you know by name, but you but can’t get the correct IP address any more because you either can’t get to the Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary DNS servers or you don’t trust them any more because you suspect they have DNS cache server poisoning. The cache server poisoning doesn’t happen all that often, but smaller DNS servers can and do die occasionally. Looking up a temporary replacement in the hosts file is a fast and efficient way to get you going again.

So I emailed the person that wrote it.
He has a few names .
David Alexander Harvey (hereafter referred to as Henry Hertz Hobbit) hhhobbit .
He’s associated with these sites:
http://www.hostsfile.org
SecureMecca.com
https://www.phishtank.com

He answered back with a lot of information. A good bit of it “over my head”. He did answer the how to. I’m going to post all of it in case it might help someone or someone might explain the more complex parts to me.

Actually, for DNS servers you usually are not looking for the
A records but the PTR records since you have the IPv4 addresses
but not the names:

$ nslookup
> set querytype=PTR

> 8.8.8.8
Non-authoritative answer:
8.8.8.8.in-addr.arpa    name = google-public-dns-a.google.com.

> 8.8.4.4
4.4.8.8.in-addr.arpa    name = google-public-dns-b.google.com.

So this is what you put in the hosts file:

# Google DNS
8.8.8.8 google-public-dns-a.google.com
8.8.4.4 google-public-dns-b.google.com

STOP HERE IF THIS IS ALL YOU WANT!

Since they don't wander like for example my web-site's IPv4
address (which doesn't provide support for IPv6 or even
https) you can be pretty sure they are okay and such
public DNS web-services hold still for long times.  OpenDNS
web servers are the same:

> 208.67.222.222
222.222.67.208.in-addr.arpa     name = resolver1.opendns.com.

> 208.67.220.220
220.220.67.208.in-addr.arpa     name = resolver2.opendns.com.

So this is what you put in the hosts file for OpenDNS:

# OpenDNS DNS
208.67.222.222 resolver1.opendns.com
208.67.220.220 resolver2.opendns.com

I KNOW what these are as well.  Actually it is more of an issue
of their names showing up in certain places (but DNS queries
show up in blue in WireShark and they still only use the IP
addresses).  There is a MAJOR difference between these two sets
of DNS servers.  Google's provide only IPv4.  You can force the
OpenDNS servers to give you only IPv4 with something like this
in a shell script using the host command (there is also dig):

#!/bin/sh
if test "$#" -eq 0
then
# a suitable error message
else
host -4 -t a ${ARG}
fi

Usually I make a temporary ouput file
OUTFILE=/tmp/OpenDNS.$$

That "-4" forces host to instruct the DNS server to NOT
muck around with IPv6.

The whole thing is attached.  Just prune off the top stuff.
That is all fine and well for one of my two xterms in each of
four virtual workspaces.  Even if OpenDNS gives you one of the
protection IPv4 addresses (THEY CHANGE LIKE CRAZY AND THESE
TWO ARE AT LEAST TWELVE MONTHS OLD) you can be warned in
advance.  But I shifted from my two hardware firewalls  with
only one capable of passing IPv6 to now have BOTH of them
passing IPv6.  At OpenDNS I of course use the free rules
modifications to tell it to just leave me alone.  But that
is only for IPv4, not IPv6 which I would have to pay money
for.  Why OpenDNS?  They are very reliable and efficient
DNS servers.  But the  browser doesn't know anything about
all of this.  Well it does in Firefox if you change this in
about:config:

network.dns.disableIPv6

from false to true.  But therein lies the rub.  If I do that
for all the time that protects me from OpenDNS servers warning
me about those pesky phish.  But I am one of the volunteers at
PhishTank!  It is very disconcerting to test a phish only to
have OpenDNS telling me it is a phish.  That is precisely what
we are trying to determine!  Phish go active, stay active for
a while, and then disappear through one of the following
(there are others):

- the website owner or the IWSP fixes the problem
- the host was inserted via DNS Cache server poisoning and
  when we reach the refresh limit there is nothing to refresh
  and it drops out of DNS.  Surprise, surprise.  This affects
  both OpenDNS and Google's DNS servers.
- The phish poison on the web server just sort of melts.  You
  know know this is what happened when you see a long litany of
  script errors in the browser.
- the web server and you can neither HTTP ping or ICMP ping
  it.  Usually that means the damage was done not in the web
  pages but to the web server software itself.

SO, I DROPPED USING OPENDNS AND NOW USE GOOGLE'S PUBLC DNS
SERVERS!  I can switch back to using OpenDNS at any time:

# cp /etc/resolv.conf.OpenDNS /etc/resolv.conf

This way for the rare occasions that is all I need to do to
get something where they REALLY want to use IPv6 instead of
IPv4 I can do it.  The rest of the time I just use the IPv4

What prompted my statement that you read? COMCAST and it is NOT
COMCASTIC!  See the attached DNS-Servers.txt file which has ALL
of these DNS servers mapped out by name.  When I get into red
error problems in WireShark the blue for DNS doesn't show up.
So, I have the entries in the hosts file to see for instance
that those packets to and from 76.96.107.216 are for Comcast's
sick denv-dnssec04.cmc.co.denver.comcast.net web server.
Comcast didn't learn how to put up just two IPv4 addresses
for the DNS servers which are just a gateway to the distributed
DNS servers behind it.  Haver they learned how to do it
correctly?  I don't know.

SUMMING UP:
===========
So now you have the full scoop.  I have been waiting all day
for PerniciousMalware (my name for an organization using bots
to disseminate both spam and malware) to give me their almost
daily malware.  I triage them, provide comments at VirusTotal,
and then rush them up safely zipped in 7-Zip folders with
passwords.  The AV companies have been provided with scripts
to automate the downloads of the new samples.  I use a file
named shortlist.txt which the scripts use to inform them when
the old samples are removed after about a month but which also
automatically pulls down the new samples.  When testing the
phish do the following to a slightly modified dbgproxy_fr
PAC filter file:

# grep -v Phish /etc/dbgproxy_fr > /etc/phishtankproxy_fr

Then I add some more rules.  The rules in the PAC filter STILL
block out a lot of phish but I don't want to go without some
protection even on Linux when testing phish.  I don't use
NoScript or similar since I have to give them enough room to
hang themselves.  But I do want to block downloads of Ransom
Ware in the browser and handle it with wget instead so I block
downloads of outright EXE, SCR, and even ZIP files (yes, I know,
many people ZIP their JavaScript).  But as an example here are
one of the modifications I need to make to phishtankproxy_fr:

// BadDomains[i++] = ".moc.skcubknil";
(given backwards for safety)

Normally it is active. ABP (AdBlockPlus) two main rule-sets
have strange rules for this domain.  They used to have none
and slowly and gradually they have added limited rules against
the domain.  But they only block ads and trackers.  I also
block phish and malware.  I have too many redirects to
malware off this DNSWCD (DNS WildCard Domain).  The killer was
when a phisher used them to track (which they do provide)!
BY DNSWCD I mean you can put any valid sequence of alphanumeric
characters and DNS returns an IP address.  This is the rest of
the host name for the phisher:  "31adc91c".  E.g. it was
moc.skcubknil.c19cda13
(just read it backwards)

You see all KINDS of strange things done the longer you do this.
Alex Kowalsky provides the program that allows you to shoehorn
a hosts file easily onto Windows 7.  He is one of those Windows
admins that can stuff a Windows 7 GUI on top of Windows 8.  But
he sent me his program as an EXE file!  Duh, that was a hard
sell!  Hackers are always trying strange things via email.

Well, no malware today from PerniciousMalware.  Maybe Americans
own it now and celebrate Memorial Day.  That botnet has passed
through at least four sets of owners / botmasters.  You can
literally feel when it happens.  The last one I got was supposedly
for a company in Thailand, faked the email from address for being
GMail, but the message really came from a Windows machine in
China.  But this message didn't have the SCR file zipped!  Up
until now they have always zipped either an EXE or SCR file.
Owner change?  Maybe.

;

@Cholla

I didn’t get any PM and and no blocks on you. So I am not sure why I didn’t get the PM. You might want to post it as a attachment txt file that way it not so big to read? That way I can download and read over the reply you got.

@ coolcolors , I don’t know what was edited from your post #17 but if you think I need it you can PM it to me.

Last edited by Albert; 11 Hours Ago at 22:16. Reason: wall of text!

I posted the entire email from hhhobbit in the code tags in post #18 .
If that is difficult to read you could copy & paste it to your “Notepad”.
or I can post it as an attachment .txt if I need to.

I understood how to add the Google Public DNS to the hosts file from the email .
It was information like this that is above my understanding:

#!/bin/sh
if test “$#” -eq 0
then

a suitable error message

else
host -4 -t a ${ARG}
fi

Before investigating this I hadn’t heard of PAC filter files .
So that’s new to me.

Now for this :

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2754447]@Cholla
I didn’t get any PM and and no blocks on you. So I am not sure why I didn’t get the PM. [/QUOTE]

This is the message I get when I try to PM you (so far I haven’t got this message when PMing anyone else).

This is what your “Public Profile” page looks like to me:

This is what other members page looks like:

The usual one has a “Contact” tab which is another route to PM a member.
For some reason your “Public Profile” is mostly blocked (to me anyway).
I have no idea why . If you can view it & other members can then the problem would be from my account . If that is the case I will contact the administrator & get it fixed.
If the problem is with your account you will need to do the same.