Suggest me an external USB BD drive

vbimport

I’m totally out of the loop regarding optical drives.
I currently have an old LG internal BD burner, but its on its last legs.

I don’t want to fit another internal drive, as I want the SATA connector for another SSD. :slight_smile:

I don’t use optical media often, but I still want to able to burn the odd BD, DVD, and CD.

I’ve decided on an external USB drive.

Suggest one for me. :slight_smile:

The LG BE14NU40 is the one I’ve been recommending for the past few years. Expensive however.

Would you prefer a slim drive?

I would prefer a slimline drive that could be powered from USB3.
I would consider a full size drive if it didn’t have BD riplock.

[B]Dee[/B], take your look at Pioneer slim USB3.0 drives, like BDR-XD05 or BDR-XS05, if you prefer slot-loading drives. Pioneer slim drives burning quality is outstanding for all types of media - you know it :iagree:

@Kerry
The LG BE14NU40 looks great and within my budget, and may be worth sacrificing the need for a slimline drive. Best price i’ve found for a new one is £88.

@blackeded
Those Pioneer drives are crazy expensive here. £129 to £169 :eek:

So far I’m leaning towards the LG drive that Kerry mentions, but I’m keeping an open mind, and could be persuaded to buy something else.

Very interesting thread :iagree: Just like Dee, I am out of the loop by far and so I choose to participate by sliding in on a banana shell from far left or right, whatever :flower:
What are my external options if I want to avoid BD riplock as well? And can it be used for scanning?
(It should be emphasized that I ask rather than check out the alternatives allready mentioned).

Looking through a few threads here, I’m afraid the LG does have riplock. So that might be strike against it.

Odd how prices are flipped here in the US. The LG is $145 at Newegg and the slim Pioneer BD burner is $90.

The only scanning drives I know of are the Samsung models, like the SE-506CB, but they apparently have some burning issues. Albert knows the subject much better than I do.

You don’t really HAVE external options if you want to avoid BD riplock. You barely have internal options to avoid BD riplock. For that, I’d have to search. (But LG models were generally faster than Pioneer models, which sounds about right given Pioneer’s history of quality over speed.)

The only drives available (besides the special WH16NS…40?48?DUP, an internal drive) for scanning are the external Samsung BDRE drives. SE-506BB or CB. This excludes old stock of LiteOn iHBS112 family rebadged, which can be had as external drives (primarily by Plextor, Memorex, or HP, though eHBUx12-brandes drives also existed).

As Kerry mentioned re: the Samsung SE-506CB, there’s a glitch where 2x burns on select BD media will result in a burn using a flawed 4x strategy, effectively nuking a large chunk of the disc between two recalibration points. Consistently. Burning at 4x, or burning using other media, works fine, so the drive is still worthwhile.

So…

If you don’t care about scanning, and want a half height drive, the LG BE14 is the most widely available external option in the west. Buffalo and Pioneer offer external HH models, but I cannot vouch for their availability outside of Asia.

Oh, wait, ASUS still rebadges LG drives for their external models, so they’re an option.

For the sake of completeness: Samsung doesn’t do half height Blu-ray drives. Matshita is Matshita, so I don’t think their HH drives have been updated in quite some years to be performant. As hinted, LiteOn doesn’t do any BD hardware that we are aware of since iHBSx12 production ended, and many of their brand partners never switched to LG or Pioneer (outside of ASUS and TEAC, most every other brand was officially handed over to LiteOn for exclusive use in one way or another).

In reference to slim external drives, in addition to the Pioneer and Samsung drives, LG and ASUS offer slim external drives. I don’t know the OEM for ASUS’s slim external drives. & of course you can get a Matshita to slap into a slim enclosure, with the knowledge that you’ll probably never get any kind of major firmware update. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, if you REALLY want to be adventurous, if you get the BE14, you can crossflash to an internal firmware. Including the firmware from the special WH16 that DOES support scanning on BD and DVD media. Unless LG started using 2nd generation WH16 hardware in its external models already (which can be determined by dumping the firmware), there would be absolutely no issue in crossflashing (beyond voiding the warranty, probably). This extends to the ASUS or Buffalo HH external drives that happen to be LG models; they’re probably still first gen models, too.

So, if riplock is ON in all external drives, there isn’t a huge advantage of getting a desktop drive, and I might as well go for a slimline drive.

The drive will spend most of its time reading rather than writing.

I found this drive, which I guess has an OEM Pioneer slimline drive mechanism, according to the Amazon reviews.

The price is quite nice. :slight_smile:

Your thoughts.

PS: I don’t need a scanning drive.

Thank you very much Albert :flower:
50 threads worth of information in one go? :iagree:

I guess I’m still old-school in preferring to buy an external enclosure and putting a drive in there. With that said, I’m using a Vantec NST-530S3 enclosure with a Pioneer BDR-S06 in there. The cost for both when new would be ~$140 USD.

[QUOTE=Dee;2772539]So, if riplock is ON in all external drives, there isn’t a huge advantage of getting a desktop drive, and I might as well go for a slimline drive.

The drive will spend most of its time reading rather than writing.

I found this drive, which I guess has an OEM Pioneer slimline drive mechanism, according to the Amazon reviews.

The price is quite nice. :slight_smile:

Your thoughts.

PS: I don’t need a scanning drive.[/QUOTE]
Most of the cheap drives here in the UK contain Matsushita drives. If that one contains a Pioneer then great!

I have a TDK 870PE slim external, which is a Pioneer BDR-TD03. The Pioneer is very well made for a slim drive and has superb writing quality on all disc types. It was replaced by the TDK 880PE, which I was going to suggest, but it seems like that is discontinued. :frowning:

After considering the pros and cons of a slimline drive over a desktop drive. I decided to go with the LG BE14NU40 desktop.

I have it ordered and should arrive on Wed. I’ll let you all know how I get on with the drive.

[B]Thanks everyone[/B] for your excellent suggestions. :flower:

My LG BE14NU40 arrived today, and it’s really a nice piece of kit.

It looks great and runs more or less silently.
RIPLOCK is indeed active on this drive, taking around 20 minutes to rip a 43GB BD movie.

I can live with that.
I haven’t burned anything with the drive yet, but I’ll try that soon. :wink:

The old SATA LG BD drive is now removed from the system, and a nice 500GB SSD has taken its place using the free SATA port. :slight_smile:

Great! Even with the riplock that’s probably quicker than any slim drive could manage.

Since you’ve got the drive, how about writing a full review for CDFreaks. :flower::smiley:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2773093]Great! Even with the riplock that’s probably quicker than any slim drive could manage.

Since you’ve got the drive, how about writing a full review for CDFreaks. :flower::D[/QUOTE]I no longer have the media to conduct a review, or even a scanning drive to measure quality.
Plus, I no longer have the energy or the time to do such a review justice.

[QUOTE=Dee;2772814]My LG BE14NU40
RIPLOCK is indeed active on this drive, taking around 20 minutes to rip a 43GB BD movie.

I can live with that. [/QUOTE]

20 minutes ain’t bad for transfering 43 GB of data…I’m more curious about the amount of time that drive needs for ripping an 8 GB dvd…:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2773199]I’m more curious about the amount of time that drive needs for ripping an 8 GB dvd…:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]I’ll see if I can run a test later.

[QUOTE=Dee;2773165]I no longer have the media to conduct a review, or even a scanning drive to measure quality.
Plus, I no longer have the energy or the time to do such a review justice.[/QUOTE]
Though that would be the case. :sad:

But you never know, maybe 3lbs of shiny white Korean plastic really could turn a rock chick back into a born-again CDFreak. Stranger things have happened. :flower::flower:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2773199]20 minutes ain’t bad for transfering 43 GB of data…I’m more curious about the amount of time that drive needs for ripping an 8 GB dvd…:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]A quick test. This certainly isn’t the fastest drive for ripping DVD movies. :slight_smile:

Test disk: 6.8GB
It took approximately 18 minutes.

@Ibex
I’ll do a few quick reading and writing tests, and post the results here. There wont be any disk quality scans though.