Suddenly, problems with my 1620

vbimport

I’ve had it for about 2.5 months… burned many discs on it. Recently, it coastered 3 pieces of CMC -R in a row, all at exactly 3 minutes into the burn. And this is media that it has burned well in the past, and all from the same spindle. Then it was fine for a few burns, then 3 more in a row.

Also, I have a few Intenso branded Optodisc +R that scan well (94 quality score) but do not play past the menus (this happens on every one of this brand that I’ve burned).

Any ideas what’s going on here? The drive is not overheated (I keep my house at 65 degrees (F) and my box is very well ventilated. Is this the first signs of my drive going bad?

In my opinion use better dvd media like TAIYO YUDEN, MAXELL, VERBATIM & RICOH. CMC isn’t the best media to use. I highly doubt it’s a problem with your drive. Rule of thumb is use good quality dvd media and you won’t have coasters. :wink:

agree…with dvd addict

OK… but if a disc tests at 94, doesn’t that indicate at least a decent burn? So why won’t that disc play? I’ve had other +R burns of much less quality that play fine.

And I’ve had far more consistently good results with CMC than Maxell, so you won’t convince me there. Even if it is more inconsistent qualitywise, 3 in a row coastered at exactly 3:00 minutes in doesn’t seem likely.

So any other opinions?

CMC is not great media but 3 burn failures 3 minutes into the burn shouldn’t be happening especially if it worked be4.

But just to cover the obvious first try a different media ar even possibly the same media but from a different spindle then try updating firmware

I know CMC has a poor reputation, but I’ve burned 50 with this drive with no coasters until now. And every one I’ve tested (which admittedly isn’t all of them) has a quality score of 95 or better (like in this thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=125880, disregard all but the first scan).

I’ve been using other media without problems (except the Optodisc).

Noticed your comments on CMC media thought you might be interested in this.
Taken from an interview on CDRinf.

An Interview with Tim Smith, Sales and Marketing Manager for Ridisc.

Tell us a little bit about why RiDisc opted for CMC Magnetics to make their 8X DVD-R.

With all the problems that were happening in the market that basically went against everything that RiDisc stood for, an internal decision was taken to continue RiDisc 4X with our partner Ritek Taiwan but to swap the production of the new RiDisc 8X DVD-R to CMC Magnetics, the world’s largest OEM manufacturer of media.

This new alliance with CMC Magnetics dawned a new era for the RiDisc brand. With their unlimited support, CMC brought to RiDisc a promise of quality with no compromises whatsoever. The sales figures of RiDisc 8x DVD-R spiralled upwards giving us absolute vindication for our decision to partner with CMC during Riteks troubled times.

It is widely accepted that CMC utilises the most advanced production lines for media in the World and continues to innovate with state of the art Research and Development (R&D) at their Taiwanese headquarters. This is backed up by the fact that all the top brands trust CMC to develop and manufacture for them. Verbatim, TDK, FUJI, Memorex, all hold OEM manufacturing contracts with CMC.

Full article here http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=12652

often this is a business decision…the cmc are cheaper to get…not necessarily better quality…at least in my experience…the cmc 8x dvd-r I got suck

Alright, well, here’s a burn on Verbatim (MCC 004) that I just did. Note that the Intenso burn that won’t play scored a 94…

Is it just me, or can no one else see why that scan does not produce a better quality score?

It is widely accepted that CMC utilises the most advanced production lines for media in the World and continues to innovate with state of the art Research and Development (R&D) at their Taiwanese headquarters. This is backed up by the fact that all the top brands trust CMC to develop and manufacture for them. Verbatim, TDK, FUJI, Memorex, all hold OEM manufacturing contracts with CMC.

All of these are brands I try to avoid unless I get a deal on it. Yeah, I know. I’ll probably get flamed for it, but just because a lot of people like some brand doesn’t mean I trust it. Don’t you just hate it when a name brand can’t make up their mind who’s going to be making their product?

b/c PIF maxed at 16.

And here’s a Taiyo Yuden. My main point being, better media is not making a huge difference in the quality I’m getting (the 95 is about the same as I generally get with CMC). I’m a little disappointed in both the Verbatim and the Yuden… I guess I was expecting too much.

What really matters is if the disc can be played back fine on your standalone dvd players. Just because you get a quality score that is not to your expectations or the PI/PO are high doesn’t mean the disc won’t playback. In my opinion as long as the disc can playback fine is all that matters. Too much emphasis on quality scores is a bit much at times. That is just my opinion. :wink: :slight_smile:

Nothing wrong with that last scan of the TY. Take DVD Addict’s advise and pay less attention to the quality score. PIF average .06 and maximum of 8 is a good result.

I’ve had the same Intenso media not play even with a quality score of 95/96 in my Sylvania (which can play a pancake I think). Optodisc media, even though it’s a good price, isn’t exactly what I’d trust my backups with - maybe good for friend discs but that’s what I’d keep them to. Go with what the other fine folks are saying here and use quality media and you won’t have a problem. :slight_smile:

OK, so if the quality test is not that great, how do I determine quality media? No offense, but I’m not just going to blindly trust what you all are saying… that’s why I’ve got so much media in the first place.

Trouble is, the range of media in the UK is extremely limited
CMC MAG AE1, ProdiscS03, Ritek G05 and TTG02 are about it with a lot of the Ritek G05 being extremely poor quality. Even Verbatim disks can have visable defects in the dye (and Verbatim UK refuse to honour their “lifetime guarantee”, so I now refuse to use their media)

MAXELL is available in the UK but appears to be grade B media
Taiyo Yuden costs about $2 a disk (and you often get “fakes” sent to you)

BTW, that Verbatim won’t play either. I’ve sort of looked into this before but never really found anything. Does the write strategy for a particular media include how the lead-in and lead-out is written? Or is that a standard thing?

Sarah, here in the US (at least where I live) you have to go out of your way to find +R media. But I can buy TDK (who knows the real manufacturer) -R at the grocery store. If a place has a sale on -R and +R media, I can go there and count on all the -R being sold out and most of the +R sitting there. I wonder if there’s something like, +R works better for PAL and -R works better for NTSC, going on.

I pretty much only use -r, +r is fairly rare in the UK (and costs more)
I was under the impression +R was most common and media of choice in the US