Suddenly cannot read DVD-R (Optiarc AD-7173A)

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7173A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]hello everybody…please someone help me.Although in the past i could burn and read both data DVD-+R ,now i can burn them successfully but i cannot read DVD-R.(DVD+R can be read ok).my hardware is an optiarc DVD RW AD-7173A CSCi CDRom Device.I run windows xp now with service pack 3(i had service pack 2 but had the same problem.i changed it to solve it but with no use).my motherboard is Asus p5b-e.i have uninstalled the device and installed it again but with no use.i can’t think what s going wrong…I think(i m not sure) that when i could read a data DVD-R i had service pack 1…i don t know if that makes any difference. Anyway i can t find sp1 anywhere in the net … I would be grateful if anyone could help me…:confused:

Once recorded, there is no practical difference between +R and -R. It is possible that your +Rs belong to a model with a certain dye and groove geometry that is easier to be read by your drive, and the drive is aging.
I am sure your problem is not operating-system related, don’t mess with going back with the SP.
Try getting some +Rs and -Rs recorded in someone else’s computer, other media brands, and see if the behavior “+R always Ok / -R always bad” remains in your drive, I bet it doesn’t.

I have tried DVD-Rs from another computer and still can’t play them…the message i get when i put a DVD-R is this"Windows cannot read from this disc.The disc might be corrupted or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows." And this pops up even for new “polished” DVD-Rs

Error – Please Disregard

Very very strange…
Sorry if I insist on this, but if this time you get several +Rs recorded in another machine, what happens?.
If the error appears again with several of them, your drive is dying.
If it doesn’t, then I know less about DVDRs than I thought…
Could it be some Window$ joke?. This was taken from another forum:
“Go to www.bootdisk.com , download a Win98 boot disk image and create the diskette.
Boot the computer with that diskette.
Watch during the bootup process and make note of the letter assigned to the DVD drive (let’s say it’s E: ).
Put a DVD-R and enter the follow command from the DOS command prompt:
DIR E:
If that produces a listing of files from the DVD-R then you can assume that the hardware, including the drive itself, is okay and that the problem is most likely with Windows configuration and/or software drivers”.
Please comment if this shed some light.