Sudden slowdown

vbimport

DVDFab usually takes 10 to 20 minutes to copy a main movie to the hard drive and 10 to 15 minutes to write it to 4X media.

The problem:

After a Windows update yesterday, it took over an hour to write to the hard drive and over an hour to copy it to media. On three different films.

Since the only thing that was different from the last time (day before yesterday) that I used DVDFab, I did a system restore to roll back to before the update.

But it is still is taking over an hour for each of these tasks.

I checked the settings and they all seem to be the same as before this problem.

I did a DMA reset, in case that got changed. But it’s still taking 2+ hours.

I’ve used 8.1.6.1 over 50 times since February with no problems - until yesterday.

Any ideas what the problem can be and - more important - how to fix it?

Some additional information, gathered since posting:

The write process starts at 0.9X and then goes to 0.8X and stays there. The percentage written is in increments of 0.05%. As the write continues, the time remaining goes up and down, sometimes adding a minute or so, and then very slowly reducing. War House took 1:10 to write from hard disk to 16X media on a 24X write burner.

Before yesterday, writes were 3.9X on 4X media.

[QUOTE=joelrosado;2630417]Some additional information, gathered since posting:

The write process starts at 0.9X and then goes to 0.8X and stays there. The percentage written is in increments of 0.05%. As the write continues, the time remaining goes up and down, sometimes adding a minute or so, and then very slowly reducing. War House took 1:10 to write from hard disk to 16X media on a 24X write burner.

Before yesterday, writes were 3.9X on 4X media.[/QUOTE]

What brand of media are you using ? and is it the same brand of media you normally use ? also which burn engine is DVDFab using ?

Hi SJ,

Same media as always.

Just checked the burn engine and it is VSO. (I thought I had it set to to DVDFab’s engine)

I used to use ImgBurn, but over the past year or so, I let the default engine do it.

Do you think a change in the burn engine might fix it?

[QUOTE=joelrosado;2630421]Hi SJ,

Same media as always.

Just checked the burn engine and it is VSO. (I thought I had it set to to DVDFab’s engine)

I used to use ImgBurn, but over the past year or so, I let the default engine do it.

Do you think a change in the burn engine might fix it?[/QUOTE]

I as well as most users/members highly recommend setting DVDFab to use ImgBurn, also you may want to re-set DMA just in case it reverted to PIO.

More information on this problem:

I connected a different burner to see if there was any difference, attempting to copy and burn the same movie. No difference.

Then I told DVDFab to copy to a different hard drive to see if that was part of the problem, but there was no improvement.

I think we can eliminate:

1. The burner. Two different burners, same problem.

2. The hard drive. Two different drives, same problem.

3. The burn engine. Copying from the original DVD to the hard drive doesn’t use the burn engine. The very slow speed is in both copying to the HDD and then writing to the new media.

While the operation was progressing, I checked % of CPU use and memory use. Both in the normal range, with plenty to spare.

Can’t think of anything else to try.

[QUOTE=joelrosado;2630437]More information on this problem:

I connected a different burner to see if there was any difference, attempting to copy and burn the same movie. No difference.

Then I told DVDFab to copy to a different hard drive to see if that was part of the problem, but there was no improvement.

I think we can eliminate:

1. The burner. Two different burners, same problem.

2. The hard drive. Two different drives, same problem.

3. The burn engine. Copying from the original DVD to the hard drive doesn’t use the burn engine. The very slow speed is in both copying to the HDD and then writing to the new media.

While the operation was progressing, I checked % of CPU use and memory use. Both in the normal range, with plenty to spare.

Can’t think of anything else to try.[/QUOTE]

Did you click on the re-set DMA button in common settings ? also even though it may not have read errors a dirty disc can cause it to read/copy at a slower rate so may want to try cleaning the disc.

Thanks very much SJ. You mentioned resetting the DMA before and I did reset it and rebooted the machine earlier. But that didn’t help. Three different movies all were over an hour for copy and for burn.

After your last post, where you again suggested resetting the DMA, I reset it again and I was able to copy a movie in normal time limits.

Then I tried to copy War Horse and it started out normally. It showed 11 minutes remaining at the start and after about three minutes, started adding time. When it got to 24 minutes and rising, I cancelled.it. I had cleaned the disk carefully, so that wasn’t the cause.

Later, I’ll try with another movie and see what happens.

I’m going to d/l the latest ImgBurn and then switch to that that engine later today. But it did one job normally before it started slowing down again, so it probably isn’t the burn engine that’s causing this.

After a while, tried with a new movie:

Something is definitely amiss. Tried to copy a new movie, clean new media, and it started up showing 9:45 remaining, decreased normally for about four minutes, and then started adding time. When it rose to 40:25 and steadily increasing, I canceled.

This was in the copy to hard drive phase. Only reading and compressing. The movie was short, and the quality was 100%, so there should have been no strain on DVDFab.

Didn’t see it posted so have to ask…what version of DVDFab you using ?

I believe you stated it started after the last MS security update, have you tried doing a system restore prior to the update to see if that was the cause ?

Also is there any new programs running in the background ?

Yes, I did a system restore - to back before the updates.

And I am running 8.1.6.1, which seems very stable.

But that’s all beside the point. [B] The problem is solved.[/B]

Every month, and before installing any major software, I make a bootable clone of my hard drive. (Acronis True Image Home). I had done one just a week before the updates.
So I swapped the drives, booting on the clone made before the updates, and everything seems to be working normally now.

I can only assume that one or more of Microsoft’s updates mangled something in the operating system and what was mangled effected DVDFab - or the memory access, or the cache. Or maybe lots of things. I’m not sure I want to install Windows updates any more - they have caused more problems that they say they fix. One thing I learned from the Marine Corps in VietNam - If it ain’t broke - don’t fix it. Gotta remember to follow that advice.

I just now copied an average size movie. Took a shade over 9 minutes to copy to the hard drive and then a shade under 14 minutes to write it to 4X DVD-RW media.
That’s about average on this machine.

So, [I]StormJumper[/I], [SIZE=2]thanks for all your quick responses, input and suggestions. And all you lurkers, I hope you never have to rely on one, but you can see the value of cloning the hard drive. A normal backup would not have replaced the glitchy OS with a good one.

[/SIZE]

Rather then switching drives I would have uninstalled one update at a time to find the update that caused the issue, keeping your system updated with the latest security updates is highly recommend.

But thats up to you and your choice in anycase glad you are up and running now.

BTW…I always read up on each update from MS and have been known to exclude one or two now and then from the installation.

[B]SJ[/B]

I subscribe to the excellent on-line newsletter, [I]Windows Secrets[/I].

They have a ‘patch watch’ and list the updates that they feel are potential problems. They have a regular list of updates they recommend you to “wait”, “optional” and “install”.

I will follow your advice and install them one-by-one - after I clone the system that is working now.

I’ve been using DVDFab since near the start, but I lurked here until about 4 years ago, when I joined to ask for help for a problem. The responses, often to others, have been very helpful. Great forum, Thanks to all.

On Windows Updates . I too check them out some & “hide” a few .
The way I do it comes from Updating Windows 98 . I learned it liked to be feed one update at a time with a reboot in between. I have continued that with Vista & don’t seem to get the problems others have .
Matter of fact I caught my updates up just last weekend . I’ve had no problem with slow rips.
I do usually create a ATI backup before installing a bunch of Windows updates.
I have a cloned drive as well. Sometimes it is less up to date.

[B]It was a bug in Windows 7 SP1 x64.[/B] It slows USB 2.0 to 1.1 speed.

Please see the newer thread [B][I]Very slow copy and burn[/I][/B] for the fix.