Yes, I did a system restore - to back before the updates.
And I am running 184.108.40.206, which seems very stable.
But that's all beside the point. The problem is solved.
Every month, and before installing any major software, I make a bootable clone of my hard drive. (Acronis True Image Home). I had done one just a week before the updates.
So I swapped the drives, booting on the clone made before the updates, and everything seems to be working normally now.
I can only assume that one or more of Microsoft's updates mangled something in the operating system and what was mangled effected DVDFab - or the memory access, or the cache. Or maybe lots of things. I'm not sure I want to install Windows updates any more - they have caused more problems that they say they fix. One thing I learned from the Marine Corps in VietNam - If it ain't broke - don't fix it. Gotta remember to follow that advice.
I just now copied an average size movie. Took a shade over 9 minutes to copy to the hard drive and then a shade under 14 minutes to write it to 4X DVD-RW media.
That's about average on this machine.
So, StormJumper, [SIZE=2]thanks for all your quick responses, input and suggestions. And all you lurkers, I hope you never have to rely on one, but you can see the value of cloning the hard drive. A normal backup would not have replaced the glitchy OS with a good one.