Sudden Crashes and Errors

vbimport

I recently built a new computer with an MSI KM2M Combo-L (MS-6738), 512mb ram DDR 266, Geforce 4 MX 440 128mb, Sound Blaster Live!, AOpen DVD-ROM, an AMD 1800+ Processor, and Windows XP Professional Edition (With service pack 1 now downloaded).
Usually within 20 minutes of using my computer, it either crashes, gives me an error, or just plain restarts on its own. Could these be signs of faulty ram or other hardware.

Check that all your drivers are the latest, other than that it’s probably just xp! Do you have all the updates from M$ update site? they help enormously. Even though you have sp1 there is still a lot of critical and other updates

Yea I have just about everyone of the updates. My system still crashes and restarts every time I use it.

Lower the response time of your memory modules.

This can be established by increasing the latency times (CAS) in the advanced memory settings of your bios/setup.

See if that helps.

Also, make sure that your temps are within operating limits. I have seen power supplies cause such problems. Make sure all fans are turning. Hope this helps.

A small checklist:

-set memory timings to spd settings
-test memory with memtestx86 (www.memtest86.com)
-check if your PSU is capable (check the 3,3 5 and 12V lines in your BIOS and in Windows while stressing)
-check your CPU temperature
-stress your system with Prime95 (torturetest) and 3DMark2001SE (continous benchmarking) at once
-check if this isn’t a software problem

Good luck :slight_smile:

I can’t lower the response times of my memory modules because my latency times (CAS) settings are locked. Anyway to unlock it. But the only reason why my computer would restart randomly was because I had the Setup and Recovery setting set to restart automatically. So now I just get a lot of blue screens and general protection faults.:confused:

Look in Event Viewer for system and application errors. You can also look in Dr Watson for clues.

Originally posted by kubi123
I can’t lower the response times of my memory modules because my latency times (CAS) settings are locked. Anyway to unlock it. But the only reason why my computer would restart randomly was because I had the Setup and Recovery setting set to restart automatically. So now I just get a lot of blue screens and general protection faults.:confused:

If these values are locked, thery are probably the vaules read from the SPD on the memory module. These values should be correct…

I had this very same problem whilst running xp pro.
After suspecting the psu to be at fault, which it wasn’t, i turned my attention to the ram, 2 x 128Mb.
I removed 1 and ran the system to see if it did it again, which it did.
I then replaced this stick with a new kingston 128Mb stick, put it along side my other and the problem was solved.

Hope this helps.

Memtest86 will sniff out 99.9% of all RAM problems.

many pc problems lately…seems that it started with the hot weather

even the ones on my work crash

Thanks for all the help. The problem seemed to be my memory. I ran memtest and my ram failed some tests, so I went out and bought some new ram and I’m fine now. So thanks again.