Sudden crash-problem at layer break

I am a simpleton who doesn’t know much about… well… anything. So most of what I’m about to say is probably stupid on some level or other, but I’ve searched the forum with lots of different keywords and I’m still stumped so I’m hoping someone will take pity on me and help me out.

I use dvd-decrypter in file mode to rip to my hard drive, and nero recode to actually burn my personal backups. For years these two programs, used in this tandem, have worked perfectly.

Then, about a month and a half ago, some hidden toggle switch inside one of the big “options” menus must’ve gotten switched, because now every personal backup I make, when I go to play it in my DVD player, the player chokes right at the dual-layer break and goes to a blue screen (it’s a Sony DVD player, which has never had trouble playing my personal backups before).

Any thoughts? I’d prefer not to have to make big, sweeping changes to the rig the way it is – precisely because I already “know” that this configuration “works,” so I’d prefer not to field a lot of “You need to get this terrific new program” replies, if it can be avoided. Thanks in advance.

If you are doing a full backup of your Dvds, you could use Dvd Decrypter ISO Read then ISO Write choosing the MDS Folder to burn, personally I would use ImgBurn which is Dvd Decrypter’s burn engine updated. An option would be to do a full Dvd Rip with DvdFab HD Decrypter, making sure that the box in the lower left hand corner of the main page says Dvd9 not Dvd5, then burn using the following:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86742

ISO/MDS:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86730

Note: this is for Dual Layer not Single Layer.

Single Layer movie only would be the following: Posts #67 to #74, but please also read Posts #77 & #78:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-5-0-2-2-not-ready-big-league-245636/index3.html

Thanks for your reply. If I can (and it’s not obvious, now that the last six DL-blanks have been coasters), I’d prefer to keep using the software, in the modes, that have worked in the past. Maybe I’m just stubborn, but until this snag everything’s been just a little too smooth and predictable for me to be in a big rush to start over with something else.

This evening I tried two DL-blanks with the “remove layer break” option toggled on, then off, in Nero Recode, and both resultant backups crashed at what appears to be a second layer-break (presumably one that was created at a place other than the original one, by DVDD).

The, on another forum I saw this: “By not having DVDD create an mds file as suggested above, you won’t have the layer break info required for the great success rate in burning +DL’s that ImgBurn & previously DVDDecrypter have.”

Now, reiterating that I’ve never had a problem before now – I also need to say that I haven’t the foggiest idea what an “MDS file” is, and have certainly never “created” one.

Any further thoughts?

This will not cost you a disc. Take a Dvd that you want to backup & rip it with Dvd Decrypter in ISO Read Mode. Post back & tell me what files are created. Before you start would you please look at DD2/Pic #2 & make sure that box is checked. Dvd Decrypter / Tools / Settings.

Okay, great – will do this right now. (I think part of the reason I’m being so stubborn about file mode in DVDD and Nreo Recode is that I’m both embarrassed to admit, and hesitant to start wading into, the issue of how little I actually know. I have a rough idea of what a “disc image” is, for example. Anyway, thanks for being patient with me.)

I don’t know what I’m looking at (surprise, surprise!) so I’m not sure how to answer the “tell me what files are created” part of your last post. In the destination partition of my hard drive there is now an icon that looks like a blank sheet of paper with a DVD mounted to it, next to the name I myself assigned, and called “image files.” When I try double-clicking it, Nero Burning ROM launches automatically, so I am unable to determine if there are sub-files beneath that level of the path. There is also an “MDS file,” bearing the same name that I previously assigned, of size 9kb.

In case that isn’t the right form of response, I also copied what DVD decrypter says in its right-hand window, now that the process is complete, which I will paste here:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D 1.23 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 4,116,874
Size: 8,431,357,952 bytes
Time: 914:53:49 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Book Type: DVD-ROM
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: 10.08Mbps
Number of Layers: 2
Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,558,185
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,266,255

Layer Information:
Layer 0 Sectors: 2,069,648 (50.27%)
Layer 1 Sectors: 2,047,226 (49.73%)

Are either of these the thing that I was supposed to post in reply to your last instruction?

Basically you should have 2 files there, one will be ISO & the other will be MDS. What size is the ISO? If you hover your mouse over it, it should tell you or right click on the file & choose properties.

The ISO appears to be the same size as the original disc: 8,233,748kb and the MDS file is 9kb.

I know you are familiar with Dvd Decrypter & you can use that if you wish. Can you follow that guide in that ISO/MDS link I gave you? Can you download & install ImgBurn? Are you willing to risk a disc? The next stage will be ISO Write choosing the MDS file to burn with either Dvd Decrypter or ImgBurn. Don’t worry about not knowing this stuff yet, we all had to start somewhere & you can learn as you go.

Okay, so if I understand, the next step is to go back and read the thread links you posted for me, download ImgBurn (I think I had it at one point) and try to burn this as a “disc image.”

May I ask, or is it too early to ask: Won’t making a disc image cause all the prohibited user op’s to be preserved? (Tell me to wait on that, if it’s better for me to wait…)

You will be choosing to Write Image File To Disc, yes. ISO Read / ISO Write creates a 1 to 1 copy of your Dvd, everything in place, except for what you have checked to be removed in Dvd Decrypter. There are newer programs out there like DvdFab HD Decrypter (free) which will remove these as well, but I would like to get you through a burn, rather than worry about that for now. If at anytime during the setup you have a question, stop & ask rather than proceeding. This is how mine reads right now.

Well, I might be guilty of having gotten ahead of your tutorial a little. I went to the other thread and followed the link and I downloaded and installed ImgBurn, then used that to burn the disc image we just made together. Everything worked (no choking on the layer break this time), except for something really odd: There was no “cursor” on the main menu, so I had to keep skating up and down and guessing where I was, to fire the movie. Otherwise it worked.

I’m going to bed now; will check tomorrow to see if my ISO Read Mode settings in DVDD match yours.

Thanks for all your help and – sorry! – expect a check-in with me again tomorrow if you wouldn’t mind, terribly.

Cheers.

My ISO read settings are just the default, because if I am doing a 1 to 1, I don’t really care about getting rid of anything. I am normally around, so if I am here, I will help to the best of my knowledge.

Okay, great: I have a couple of unfair follow-up questions for you:

One, I noticed on delving through my backups that the player started “semi-choking” on the layer-break before it started choking on it completely. For a period of time, the backups I was making turned out viewable without incident through the layer-break as long as they were viewed at regular speed, but if I fast-forward them through it the player chokes and crashes. Could this shed further light on the original problem? A hardware issue at either the PC or the player, perhaps?

Two, any thoughts as to why I didn’t get a menu cursor last night on my first try? (This one is unfair because I’m asking on a sample of one.)

Third, how vital is the “verify” step? It took the backup process from the forty-five minutes I’m used to, up to seventy-five minutes – which put its completion way past my bed-time.

Fourth, any further thoughts on why the old approach, file mode + nero recode, suddenly stopped working? Some setting deep in the bowels of one of the two programs? A problem with the computer’s registry?

Thanks again for your patience, beef barley. I’m going to try another one using ImgBurn this morning…

Sometimes with this hobby of ours, the reasons as to why this didn’t happen or this happened & it shouldn’t have are endless & trying to pin it down from a distance is just about impossible. A lot of trial & error goes into it, when we first start out because we are physically there in front of the computer, not trying to fix it from afar. Not all the time, but more than enough. As regards to the layerbreak, some might disagree, but I have never trusted Nero to handle DL burning, especially when it comes to the layerbreak. I used to use it all the time when I started out to burn single layer, but when I made the move to doing a few DLs, first it was Dvd Decrypter & then ImgBurn. As to the cursor, doing the ISO Read/Write is creating a 1 to 1 copy of your original. Whatever was on the original apart from what you tell your program to remove, will be on the backup. So, if you are not removing anything you shouldn’t, then my gut tells me it is your standalone Dvd player. Did you check it on your computer with a media player like VLC Media player to see if it works? Verify is not life & death, but it is an option I recommend. It is not going to make a difference as to whether your disc plays or not, because by that time it’s already done. Here is something that might help you out when it comes to the different terms used.

http://www.videohelp.com/glossary

Okay, thanks! I really appreciate your patience.

No worries, as long as your getting what you want done, I’m happy.