Such thing as dvd+r only burner...?

vbimport

A family friend claims that her dvd burner is dvd+r only.
I find it unlikely…but I don’t know enough to be sure…???

Thanks.

The first generation DVD+RW drivers were DVD+RW only, ie: no DVD+R burning. Don’t think they had DVD+R only, though. (other than single format drives that included DVD+RW as well).

There are definitely older drives that support only +r or -r. For example, the Plextor PX-504A supports DVD+R and +Rw but not -R or -Rw.

Even the fairly newer dell computers are dvd+r/rw only. (no -r/rw) But ever since they now went to 16x and double layer they added - compatibility.

Yes exactly. +RW and +R. There are def +R/RW drives but I don’t think there are any +R only drives. I dont think there are -R only drives either.

As already mentioned, the first gen + drives were only +RW (which was more of an accident then anything I believe, they were rushed then they found out they could not enable +R which just firmware)

The first generation DVD+RW drivers were DVD+RW only, ie: no DVD+R burning. Don’t think they had DVD+R only, though. (other than single format drives that included DVD+RW as well).

do u mean the opposite, dvd+r and no dvd+rw??? maybe someone else can answer me, i have no idea…and i’m…yea… :bigsmile:

No he meant what he said as did the first poster. There are drives with DVD+RW but no DVD+R (since DVD+RW was made before DVD+R) but no (to our knowledge) drives with DVD+R but no DVD+RW

Well then…I guess ya learn something new everyday…

Thanks…:slight_smile: