Successful Verbatim 40x12x48 to Liteon 48x12x48 flash

Making this thread for future searchers. :wink:

I was going through the board lurking and searching for Verbatim users with successful firmware flashes. No luck except for 2 users posting how they killed their drives. :frowning:

I figured I’d try my luck and it worked.

Notes:

My drive: VBT401248A

MTKflashed to LTR-40125S firmware then to LTR-48125W firmware. Hmm, now that I think about it, could I have just flashed directly to LTR-48125W firmware? Oh well, it worked either way. :cool:

Burned 800MB SVCD in 2.5 minutes.

i’m not sure where to find the .bin files to flash my drive (Cendyne 40/12/48)

i upgraded it to 40125S ZS0K but don’t know how to get it to 40125W WS05

can you help?

TIA

There is no reason to flash to WS05, in fact doing so will cost you Mt Rainier.

well, i don’t know about you but i don’t really care about Mt. Rainier… i just wanted P-CAV
I upgraded the drive to WS05, and now to VS06; Nero Info Tool says Mt. Rainier is currently supported and so are all the other modes.
i don’t know if all modes are functioning perfectly and haven’t tried the max speed (now 48x) yet, but at least BlindWrite recognizes that almost all write modes are supported by the drive

…And if something doesn’t work after all, i can always flash it back to what it was with Mtkflash :stuck_out_tongue:

cheers

Heh, yeah, I don’t really have use for Mt. Rainier either. Was mainly for P-CAV and the extra speed. Burned a few more things and have seen no side effects yet. I’ll post more if I run into any problems. Now that I think about it, I haven’t tried high speed cd-rw’s yet. Should not be a problem but I’ll test it soon anyways.

Fry-kun

FYI, you already had P-CAV with ZS0K, and you can go directly to VS06 without all the flashing in between.

well, i AM a newbie at this :slight_smile:
and i wanted to take baby steps to at least see how far i can take this without making the hardware bail out
too bad i don’t have any 48x+ media to test it out :stuck_out_tongue:

Just brought my Verbatim 40X12X48 VBT401248A home from Fry’s.
I would like to flash the firmware to take advantafe of Lite-on’s 48X speed.
i got nada.
windows/nero show the drive as CD-RW 40/12/48X with firmware 100C.
when booting to floppy and attempting to run mtkflash to backup or flash the firmware, the prog. runs and then i get a flashing cursor at the bottom of the screen. no % complete or anything.
ive tried on different channels, different pc’s, different versions of dos boot disk. i got squat. i thought is was the onboard raid from my mboard which is why i tried on my old presario to same effect.
any ideas?

oh, yeah. i followed the mtkflash thread instructions, etc.

erlking

2 most common errors are typing the wrong syntax, spaces in the wrong place, etc., and typing “O” instead of 0 (zero).

yeah, that didn’t happen. i ran mtkflash a number of times with different switches, etc. nada.
i don’t think this verbatim is a lite-on.
i now believe it is an accesstek/optorite/cyberdrive.
bezel looks really similar, the model printed on the top, “cw 4001” is the same as the optorite, and the firmware version is same as cyberdrive.
and it uses “burnproof”.
also, verbatim’s firmware update does not recognize the drive.

AARGH!

i can’t find firmware for it anywhere!

erlking

Originally posted by erlking
[B]Just brought my Verbatim 40X12X48 VBT401248A home from Fry’s.
I would like to flash the firmware to take advantafe of Lite-on’s 48X speed.
i got nada.
windows/nero show the drive as CD-RW 40/12/48X with firmware 100C.
when booting to floppy and attempting to run mtkflash to backup or flash the firmware, the prog. runs and then i get a flashing cursor at the bottom of the screen. no % complete or anything.
ive tried on different channels, different pc’s, different versions of dos boot disk. i got squat. i thought is was the onboard raid from my mboard which is why i tried on my old presario to same effect.
any ideas?

oh, yeah. i followed the mtkflash thread instructions, etc.

erlking [/B]

One that you bought from fry’s is not liteone. I also bought one and I returned it because its other brand. Liteon has only one button and one they sell at fry’s has two buttons. So do not Flash!

thanks for the confirmation.
gonna take it back today and pick up the brand X 40X at office max for $20!!

erlking

I went straight from VBT401248A to LTR 48125W.
But now my nero doesn’t want to work with the liteon drive!
Anybody have the bin file for the 48x verbatim based on the liteon? Maybe if I flash to that nero will work.

I tested the drive with NTI CD-Maker 2000 Standard.
Burned a music CD copy in just over 2 minutes!

Will, go to www.nero.com and d/l the latest vwersion of Nero. If the version you have doesn’t work with the 48x Liteon then I don’t think it will work with the 48x Verbatim either. Nero 5.5.9.9 works with both.

If you have retail Nero, it will only work with a 48x LiteOn from version 5.5.8.2 and up.

Yeah, I download the latest nero 5.5.9.9. But it isn’t the problem. It is an OEM version of Nero that came with my cendyne burner which happened to be a verbatim (which happens to be a rebadged liteon). The nero splash screen says verbatim on it. It worked fine with my drive out of the box (as a verbatim). When I flashed it to liteon it didn’t work because it only works with verbatim drives. The drive appeared but had a red circle with a slash through it superimpose on it. I figure the OEM nero just validates based on the drive manufacturer ID or something like that. By flashing it to 48x verbatim maybe it will work again.

I see that some Verbatim model VBT401248A CDRW’s were flashable to Lite-On but some with the exact same model were not rebadged Lite-On’s and could not be flashed. I saw that others were able to flash a VBT401248AL (with an “L” at the end). I just got mine and it does not have the “L.” Would the “L” mean it’s a Lite-On? I saw a message that the Verbatim’s with two buttons are not Lite-On’s. Mine has one eject button and a volume control. What would the other button be for (advance a music track?). Staples shipped this to me, but I can return it to one of their nearby stores.

Thanks in advance!

I bought the 40x Cendyne from OfficeMax a few weeks ago… My drive had a label with VBT401248A on it, but when I went to Device Manager, it said VBT401248AL…I followed Khaid’s advice, from a VBT401248A to a LiteOn LTR40125S…(I started with ZS03, then went to ZSOJ, then to ZS0k) It was easy and works great… I haven’t gone to 48x, {yet}; I assume it would be just as easy…

(I followed the FAQ:

1. Backed up my original firmware:
    MTKFLASH 3 R /B /M filename.bin

2. Flashed my drive to 40125s (zs03)
    MTKFLASH 3 W /B zs03.bin

repeated for zsoj and zs0k…)
Try it… (Save your original 1st, then you have nothing to lose…)

Good Luck,

Prox

P.S. - Software I use:
CloneCD 4
Nero v5.5.7.2
CDRWin v3.9a

Thank you for your explanation. I have flashed many devices but have become more cautious because of one bad experience with a motherboard BIOS which required that I RMA it (I have since added a BIOS Savior so I can flash it in safety as I can flip a switch to boot from a backup BIOS chip). Anyway I was thinking I could return the drive if it became bad, but the Staples clearance terms are that all sales are final. I had read some messages saying that some Verbatim’s were not Lite-On’s and had a differenct chip and others that said that all Verbatims were Lite-Ons so I was wondering about the seemingly difference model numbers.

Hi all- I was able to flash my verbatim 40x12x48 to a liteon 48x12x48 sucessfully. I was able to burn at 48x but I had quite alot of damaged sectors per CD speed scan disk- using several types of media- the only f/w that gave me error free burns were the original verbatim f/w and ZS08 (lite-on 40125s)- all the other f/w (for liteon 40125s, 40125w, and 48125w) gave me damaged sectors- I’m curious to here other people’s results using Nero cd speed scan disk function- mabye I just got unlucky with my particular verbatim drive. Thanks JZ