Successful SC:CT Starforce "workaround"

vbimport

This is kind of an old topic, but I thought it might come in handy to those who would like to play this game from an image rather than using the disc.

I am not certain about the physical hardware requirements of this method. I use an Athlon 64 proc. and an NForce 4 chipset, and I currently have two DVD burners installed on my PC . . . a Plextor PX-712 (sata) and Pioneer DVR-110D (installed in the secondary IDE channel; using primary channel doesn’t work with this method).

Also, I have had trouble doing this with Daemon Tools installed, so I would recommend uninstalling it before going through this process.

First step is to get an image of the SC:CT disc. I did this using Alcohol 120% v1.9.5, with high DPM at 1x.

*NOTE: If the game has already been installed, you must uninstall it and remove the starforce driver (I used a tool called sfdrvrem.exe) before continuing.

Step 1:
You need to obtain a copy of SFcure and run it (the executable was called SFAFSB.EXE). When that opens, click “Install SFAFSB” and then “Start SFAFSB.”

Step 2:
You will need to obtain SFNightmare and then run it. From there, “Disable Node” (wait for it to finish) and then “Disable CD” (again, wait for it to finish).

Step 3:
Mount the SC:CT image in Alcohol 120% (it will probably work just as well with the free version of Alcohol). Once mounted, install the game like normal. You should reboot your PC after the game is finished installing.

Step 4:
When you have rebooted, run steps 1 and 2 again and then mount the CD in Alcohol. At this point, you can go ahead and download updates for the game if you want.

Step 5:
Open the game by double-clicking the icon. When I did this, it asked me to reboot. If it does, go ahead and reboot. In fact, go ahead and reboot anyway to be on the safe side.

Step 6:
Run through steps 1 and 2 again. I often ran into problems at this point when attempting to run the game, so I would suggest also disabling CH2 in SFNightmare.

Step 7:
Run the game and enter your cd key. The game should take about 3-5 seconds to check the disc and then you’ll be able to play it as normal (or at least I was).

In order to revert the settings back to normal after you have finished playing, first begin by unmounting the image from Alcohol 120%. Then run SFNightmare and “Enable CH2”, “Enable CD”, and “Enable Node” in that order. Then run SFAFSB.EXE (sfcure) and click “Stop SFAFSB.”

This is my first time posting here, but I have been using this forum’s wealth of knowledge for years with helping me back up/run my games from my computer. I figured I would post my experience with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and see if my method works for anyone else or if anyone else has had any luck with any other Starforce protected games.

Forgot to add between steps 6 and 7: mount SC:CT image in Alcohol. That’s kind of an essential part of this.

It was nearly 4am when I wrote this, so meh.