Successful backup of Gothic II

It´s possible to backup Gothic II :bigsmile: !!! using twinpeak

Securom version : I still don´t know. Yates protection scanner didn´t get a result.

Made a BWA file of cd3: read 24X with plex 2410A. (only disk3 is protected.)

Disk3 was red with the securom profile of CCD…(subs included) and patched with twin sector step 25.

Burned with newest clonecd at max speed.

Copy works only with hide cdr media enabled…
Remember: The plextor can´t install from this backup…

Sometimes you have to repeat starting but it runs always the second time (yet)…
I will trying to measure the BWA at lower speed to get better starting results.
Hope it works till the end of game…

Sorry I didnßt understand you quite right.

Can you give some exact newbie instructions please?

I would be greatful,

greetings saddam

Do a search for UT2003. The way to backup that is the same. :wink:

hello.

Did you copy the german version of gothic 2 or the english one?

I would need the bwa-file of the german gothic 2 version.
Can anyone send it to me (chris.wer@gmx.at)?

greets,
typhoon

try Gamejack Gothic 2 Copy with also will run

Sure, but only by emulating in a virtual drive…
Not on a physical disk. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, about that image or cd issue… In the meantime I’ve found it to be much more convenient to have my games on hd, not cd :slight_smile:
cd change at your fingertips, play without searching the cd first, and what’s best: You save a lot of space :smiley:
a 3,5" hdd can store up to 200 GB or so at the moment, think about how much more space ~285 CDs will take up :smiley:
not to mention the searching time g

BTW, for those who are interested in creating a backup with GameJack 2… Deactivate copy protection emulation and hide atip, deactivate raw mode and dpm mode for discs 1 and 2. Enable DPM mode for cd 3, but leave raw mode off. Gave me best results after half a day of testing :slight_smile:

A simple question:
Can you install from your backup, because as I’ve seen there is a protection check right after installation (after the last file has been copied), and if it cannot find the protection installation is aborted and the installed files are deleted…

Originally posted by M_A_D
A simple question:
Can you install from your backup, because as I’ve seen there is a protection check right after installation (after the last file has been copied), and if it cannot find the protection installation is aborted and the installed files are deleted…

Hi Mr. Jowood :smiley:
Yeah, installing from the image is not a problem at all :smiley:
Usually I don’t even use the original CDs to install from them because some games are too stupid to find their “CDs” if they aren’t in the same drive that was used for installation. So I just create images and install from them and put my game box back on the shelf.

Have you also tried burning it and install from the burnt CD? Because i tried and it did not work…

Originally posted by M_A_D
Have you also tried burning it and install from the burnt CD? Because i tried and it did not work…

Ofcourse that doesn’t work. As of now, there is no reliable method of reproducing the variable sector density used by the copy protection with standard cd-writers. Okay, there is twinpeak, a creative approach to the issue but it’s only usable with a small range of drives so it’s not a real solution. However, you can burn the gothic 2 images you made with GameJack on a cd (don’t create cd from image, create data cd with image as a file on it) and use it from there.
Speaking for myself, I find virtual drives much more comfortable than real ones. Much less noise, more speed, no slowdown and other effects due to funny copy protections… I still remember Command and Conquer in my Plextor drive… when the drive came across the bad sectors of the copy protection, it slowed down to 1x speed or something and all the FMV was totally screwed and jumpy :slight_smile: Created an image, mounted it with daemon tools, CDs go back into the shelf, tada. F U, copy protection. :smiley:

I made a successful copy of Gothic2 german too.
Used twinpeaks and CloneCD 4.0.0.1.
It seems the success rate is higher with pre 4.1.x CloneCD Versions.
I can run and install from my copy from all my drives.

My BWA file is available here in the forum:
BWA Files for Download thread

@ Casketizer :

What drives did you test ?

As often remarked:

It depends on the hardware you use. Liteons have mainly no probs to install and run.
Plextors mainly have probs to install but no to run…

Liteon 24x CDR
Artec 16x DVD
SONY DVDR DRU500A
NONAME 32x IDE CDROM in a Compaq Pissario
and an LG drive in my friends PC, dont know what model it is.

Im still trying to backup Gothic 2 play CD onto HD or CD but using the image made by CCD4316on my alcohol 120% 146 emulator produces an access violation error. same for CD made with CCD.
Then I cant find a way to stop the Access Violation error even when using the ORIGINAL play CD except by uninstalling the game then reinstalling it. Is there another way?
Since each install takes over 20 minutes I’m getting sick of this trial and error approach and would settle for a no-cd patch that works but cant find one for my english 1.30v only polish 1.30 and english 1.31 both of which produce the access violation error