Success! Memorex 48x24x48 to Lite-On 48246S

Success!

I did successfully flash my new Memorex 48Maxx 48/24/48 to a Lite-On LTR - 48246S using the newest SS06 firmware.

Works like a charm … no differences really. I just did it so when the 52x firmware becomes available I can try to upgrade.
Memorexx isn’t real big on firmware updates, anyway.

I have a Lite on 32X which i flashed to 40X thanks to all you guys…works awesome. I was wondering if i could take that drive up to 48x and where can i find the firmware. Thanks a lot guys this stuff rocks;)

I currently have the Memorex 48Maxx drive (48/24/48). I want to go to 52/24/52 - preferably with Lite-On firmware. How would I go about this?

I tried the MTKFLASH utility with 6202.bin from one of the linked sites containing firmware for the Lite-On drives. However, this process didn’t update my firmware as the drive is still recognized as a 48Maxx.

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

[Edit]: I need to add the following information regarding my flash attempts:

I have Windows XP, so I rebooted my PC and used a boot diskette loaded with the following:

• MTKFLASH ver. 1.55
  • 6s02.bin firmware (Lite-On firmware)
  • 62s2.bin firmware (Memorex 52Maxx firmware)

I tried more than once to flash my burner to the firmware versions listed above. Once I initiate the flash process with MTKFLASH, I get a message indicating:

“Flash type: Unknown Flash Memory” - and then the flash process sits at:

00%

That’s all! Nada, zero, zip. I’ve left my PC for 15 minutes in this mode and the percentage never increased. I’m aware that the flash could take some time, so I was being patient. However, 15 minutes without any activity seems like something is wrong.

Are there any pointers that y’all could provide for me?? Thank you!! :slight_smile:

[Edit]: Made a couple of corrections to my post regarding the reference to the Lite-On site and firmware 6S02.bin.

Originally posted by wje

I currently have the Memorex 48Maxx drive (48/24/48). I want to go to 52/24/52 - preferably with Lite-On firmware. How would I go about this?
I tried the MTKFLASH utility with 6202.bin from the Lite-On site. However, this process didn’t update my firmware as the drive is still recognized as a 48Max

First of all, that wasn’t the LiteOn site

Secondly, 6S02, that is.

Thirdly, try again this combination : mtkflash 1.48 & 6S02

Regards :wink:

Originally posted by BoSkin
[B]

Secondly, 6S02, that is.

Regards :wink: [/B]

BoSkin, Thanks for the follow-up. I was going to try an earlier release of MTKFLASH as I suspected version 1.55 wasn’t compatible with flashing the Memorex drive. Also, I did mean 6S02.bin - I was typing the update at about 2:00 A.M. - and was quite tired. I guess you’re happy that I don’t work the midnight shift at a nuclear power plant, huh? :wink:

Anyway, using the method that you described was successful!! My Memorex 48Maxx drive is now recognized as a Lite-On 52x/24x/52x drive. Thank you, very much!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Originally posted by wje

BoSkin, Thanks for the follow-up.

Also, I did mean 6S02.bin - I was typing the update at about 2:00 A.M. - and was quite tired.

I guess you’re happy that I don’t work the midnight shift at a nuclear power plant, huh? :wink:

Anyway, using the method that you described was successful!! My Memorex 48Maxx drive is now recognized as a Lite-On 52x/24x/52x drive. Thank you, very much!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

1. You’re welcome :smiley:

2. I know what you meant :wink:

3. Yeah, I’m happy that you don’t …But I do…as a junior trainee of nuclear splitting :bigsmile:

4. Great ! :cool:

Have couple questions:

1. My drive’s model # is 2448AJ, do you have the same model?
  2. Which sequence should i use for flashing: flash to LiteOn 48 first and then to LiteOn 52 or i can upgrade to LiteOn directly?

Originally posted by kuryuka

… or i can upgrade to LiteOn directly?

Sure, go ahead with mtkflash 1.48 & 6S02

Ok, i’ll try and post results.
Thx.:slight_smile:

Hi. You recently helped a person update their Memorex 48-24-48.
Here is your post:

Secondly, 6S02, that is.

Regards

Installed the drive, and Nero 5.5.9.2 (i think), ran Nero’s Speed, it said 48MAXX. So all is good.

Here is where I need help. I too have a Memorex 48-24-48. I made a bootable Win98 floppy, copied both the mtkflash and 6S02.ace files you linkified above. Not knowing much about mtkflash, but being a software developer, I ran the following to try to first backup my flash:

mtkflash 3 R poop

A file was created named “poop” whose size was slightly larger than the 6S02.ace file I have. So I’m thinking I have a good backup.

I then try to update the flash. First run failed I believe because i didn’t include the /B flag:

mtkflash 3 W /B 6S02.ACE

It ran fine, doing an update on 2 banks (whatever that is).

When I reboot, no errors, but the drive is not recognized. Furthermore, running Nero’s CD Speed gives the following error:

Unable to initialize WNASPI32.dll

I thought ‘ok’, i ca hunt one down off the web, place it, and register it… but turns out there is already one there under /system. Again, this is a Win98SE box.

Lastly, I tried to reset the unit back to stock by rewriting the flash with the “poop” file I made earlier. Interesting, only 1 bank was written, but it ran without error. Rebooting still results in drive not recognized.

Hopefully I’ve given enough detail. Any ideas? Linkify files if I need to go get them.

Thanks!

Originally posted by boltman

mtkflash 3 R poop <-- that’s someone’s bad joke

A file was created named “poop” whose size was slightly larger than the 6S02.ace file I have. So I’m thinking I have a good backup.

I then try to update the flash. First run failed I believe because i didn’t include the /B flag:

mtkflash 3 W /B 6S02.ACE <-- unzip the .ACE file, save it onto the diskette, when in DOS type --> mtkflash 3 W /B 6S02.bin

And here’s 6S02 & MTK-flash 1.48

BoSkin, thanks for the info. I feel like a dumbshit now. Didn’t know ACE was a zip extension (mand am now remembering having WinACE installed at one point).

Okay, will retry.

Question on the WNASPI32.dll error… Even after successfully (?) flashing the drive back with the original FLASH rom file named “poop” in my examples above), I still received that eror, yet when I installed the drive the first time (before tweaking) everything was good.

Any ideas? Is running this all one Win98SE causing me some kind of problem?

thanks!

When running Nero (5.5.9.2) Buring Rom, it doesn’t list the newly-flashed drive in the Recorder list (just virtual shows up). Running Nero CD Speed showed the drive as a [0:0] LTR 522446S and when I clicked “Detect” the first time, it went all the way up to 52X. After rebooting the machine, however, it still reports as a LTR 522446S, but Detect only shows 12X 8X and 6X speeds. What the f!

The drivee does show up as D: under Windowes Explorer.

The flashing of 6S02.bin went fine. About 10 banks or so were written, no errors.

Any ideas?

Click here to download and install Nero 55917

Okay, Nero 5.5.9.17 recognizes the drive as a LTR 52246s V6S02
Lite-On.

Quesiton: I run the Nero CD Speed test. I am using TDK media I bought a year ago at Costco. My guess is that these CDR’s are rated either 12X or 16X. My “write transfer” test reports: 13X CLV

I was expecting higher, like 48->52X, but then I realized I’m using slow CDR’s. Is Nero smart enough to detect media type/quality, and vary the write speed due to that? In other words, if I take this 48X CDR that came with the drive, and ran my test off of it, would I get higher results?

thanks!

CD Speed “write transfer” test still gives 13X CLV

Could it be that even though everything is reporting this to be a Lite-On 52X read and write that it could be performing at a lower speed?

help?

thanks

Please refer to above 2 posts as well for information and diagnostics

Just tried an actual burn of 600+mb to a 48X CDR. I chose 52X speed. The time took 8min56sec. Often, the read buffer was used up, there would be a pause almost a hang), then it would go again. It’s as if the reading couldn’t keep up with the writing? I don’t know.

The machine spec are worth mentioning here: It is a Celeron 300A overclocked to 450, and 128 meg RAM. This machine is not the final destination (a P4 1.8A clocked to 2.7mhz with 512 DDR3000 is), I am just using it to update the firmware, and run prelim tests.

I do have a second, stock Memorex 48-24-48. I’m trying to determine if this update-to a LTR 52246S V6S02 is really working as expected.

Again, please review thes results here and in the above two posts. Tell me what you think? Tell me what to try.

thanks.

Results are a machine’s problem. Try to run tests on your new machine, you would get much better performance i’m sure.
Then you aren’t lazy try Lite-on on somebody’s PC too anbd compare results.
You’re aware of course that performance of any CD burner is dropping whan you are running applications. Any graphic or programming tools affecting burning process. From my experience the worst case was running Visual Studio.Net and IMesh client while burning.

Is DMA enabled ?

“Disconnect” and “Auto Insert Notification” are the only things checked.

SyncDataTransfer and DMA are unchecked.

Is this correct?

Sorry about the cross-posting. I wasn’t sure what would get more attention, a new post, or this thread. People do tend to quit monitering certain threads. I posted both areas before I was engaged with your answers. Just so u know :slight_smile:

The guy above thinks my machine might affect write speed. What is your thoughts on that? I’d have to think CPU and Hard disk speed etc would account for something.

My tests are ran with nothing running… except! (hmm, wonder if this is it) software fikrewall and virus scanner. I bet thats it. what do you think? Also, we are only working with 128meg PC100.