Subtitles stream not accessible

I backed up a movie which is now not available to me. Somehow I did not get the VTS_ IFO file. All VOBs and other ifo files are intact. I have started resurrecting the start and chapter menus but can’t find any subtitle streams. I wonder if these streams may still be intact in one or more of the VOBs but do not appear to exist because the dummy VTS_ IFO I have created does not have the appropriate references in it. If so, is there a way to create these?

Hubchy :confused:

Not sure I understand. You don’t have the VTS_ IFO file, yet all VOBs and other IFOs files are intact!? You must have the complete IFO and VOB files to be able to play in the player.

Subtitle streams are in the VOB if you haven’t removed it.

I am still attempting to reconstruct enough of a main menu to be able to export and play the DVD. I haven’t attempted to play it yet.

What I did was to take a VTS_ IFO (and BUP) file from another DVD and paste this into the DVD’s Video TS folder and then open the DVD in IfoEdit and do some adjusting of pointers, etc. I then was able to import the DVD into DVDReMake. Of course DVDReMake said there were problems and I had a number of errors to fix. I was able to go through and do things like fix chapter navigation in VTS 1 ‘titles’ and in PGC’s in program chains so that cells have correct program numbers.

I now have content in Video Manager, Menus en so that I have been able to recreate suitable buttons for ‘Play’ [movie] (command -Jump VMG title 1) and for 'Scene selection [chapters] (command - link PGC 2). I also will be creating a dummy DVD in a DVD authoring program so that I can import backgrounds on which to create the 3 separate chapter menus.

I am sure that I can now create a viable DVD but I would like to have access to the subtitles.

Do you mean to be able to select which subtitle to be turned on in the movie? If so, create a subtitle menu with the needed subtitle buttons and one more Off button to turn off the subtitle. The only thing left to do is to write the appropriate button commands for each subtitle and Off buttons. Since the subtitle menu is in VMG, the only way is to use the indirect command approach, which makes use of registers. This will be a good practice for you.

Say the first subtitle stream is English. Use an unused register (not denoted as an asterisk in the Command Edit dialog) to assign to 64, so the button command will be “R[13]=64, LinkTailPGC” (this is in Set Instructions). Second subtitle stream will be “R[13]=65, LinkTailPGC” and so on. To turn off subtitle, it will be “R[13]=0, LinkTailPGC”. Then add the post command Jump VMG Title 1. Then in the movie PGC, add the pre-command “subpicture = R[13]”. This will turn on the appropriate subtitle.

With this approach, you can even turn on the appropriate subtitle on/off at First Play without going through the subtitle menu. All you do is assign the register to some value, e.g. R[13]=64.

[quote=hubchy;1864764]I am still attempting to reconstruct enough of a main menu to be able to export and play the DVD. I haven’t attempted to play it yet.

What I did was to take a VTS_ IFO (and BUP) file from another DVD and paste this into the DVD’s Video TS folder and then open the DVD in IfoEdit and do some adjusting of pointers, etc. I then was able to import the DVD into DVDReMake. Of course DVDReMake said there were problems and I had a number of errors to fix. I was able to go through and do things like fix chapter navigation in VTS 1 ‘titles’ and in PGC’s in program chains so that cells have correct program numbers.

I now have content in Video Manager, Menus en so that I have been able to recreate suitable buttons for ‘Play’ [movie] (command -Jump VMG title 1) and for 'Scene selection [chapters] (command - link PGC 2). I also will be creating a dummy DVD in a DVD authoring program so that I can import backgrounds on which to create the 3 separate chapter menus.

I am sure that I can now create a viable DVD but I would like to have access to the subtitles.[/quote]

What the heck happen to the original .IFO!! It seem you did a BAD rip.

Secondly, you have to define the characteristics of the subtitle channels fot the VTS. You can do so by selecting the subtitles tab in the lower right area and then clicking the box and hitting the “A” key to “Add Track” and the defining it characteristics. Next, click on the title within that VTS’s Program Chains that you want to enable the subtitle track for and in the upper right there will be a subtitles tabs for the Title in the VTS. Select the track you just added to the VTS and press the space bar to edit the track. Click the Enable box. Now any streams that ARE available from the .VOB will appear as options to assign to that track.

Thirdly, I suspect since you are dealing with mangled shit instead of a proper rip and doubt it will find any streams. If youi had a non-mangled VIDEO_TS.IFO Clone DVD can often create it’s own new fixed VTS_01_0.IFO file from scratch after scanning the file but basically you just need a poper file to begin with. Each VIDEO_TS.IFO is unique. What you did was put equivalent to teriyaki sauce on a pepperoni pizza and expecting teriyaki chicken to pop out of the oven. It simple doesn’t work that way.