Subtitles Help

I’ve Just copied Sum of all Fears as per norm, but when i watch the film i dont get the subtitles. I have Ticked all the English selections but if i want them i have 2 put them on and off manually.

Any Help PLZ?

Free Nelson Mandela

Try searching on Forced Subs on Doom9

I’ve seen the same thing with this title.

What I believe is happening is that some form of initialisation takes place at startup, when the root menu is displayed. Since this part of the DVD is removed by DVD2One the initialisation never occurs - and as a result the submenus are never made available. It is perhaps significant that the menus for this movie lie in the VTS_O1_0.VOB, rather than the more usual VIDEO_TS.VOB

This may be an example (one of the very rare ones in my opinion) when a full 1:1 copy is called for.

-Pete

PS While we’re still waiting for Erwin to descend from the mountain with his latest offering:), I’m going to try this title with IC7 and see if that does the trick.

Originally posted by ShapE
[B]I’ve Just copied Sum of all Fears as per norm, but when i watch the film i dont get the subtitles. I have Ticked all the English selections but if i want them i have 2 put them on and off manually.

Any Help PLZ? [/B]

I take it you want your subs on by default. Read this guide and I hope it helps you. Also, don’t forget about your standalone’s default subtitle setting.

Turning Subtitle (On/Off) by Default Guide

Sorry may’be i wasn’t 2 clear, what the problem is that there is a lot of Russian in the film which shoud have come up with English subtitles but dont in my backup

If u let me know how you get on with Instant Copy - Pete

Cheers

No, it was I who misunderstood. I mixed up your problem with my own:(

First, there was no problem with DVD2One. The problem was with my Ravisent Cinemaster software, which I use to test the DVD files before burning (it can play directly from the VIDEO_TS.IFO file). Once I had rebooted the machine, the subtitles were available - just the English ones, which were all I asked for - and the copy was fine.

Second, IC7 had a much harder job. The subtitles did not become available until I had produced a copy with ALL the original subtitles - yeah, Arabic and the whole damn bunch! By then, the compression was very high. There’s a lot of material on the original and I had to juggle with the compression rates and pretty well drop the extras to VHS quality. The end result is, I suppose, a full 1:1 copy of the original - and if that’s what you want, fine. But, the quality of the DVD2One copy is significantly higher. This is only to be expected as it has almost twice as many bits to play with.

“The Sum Of All Fears” still seems to be authored in an unorthodox way, though…:confused:

-Pete