Subtitles don't copy onto DVD-RW media

Here are a couple of issues that are combined in a single problem.

Some copies I made with a much earlier version of DVDFab won’t play on my DVD player (Panasonic DMR-EZ47V) that’s integrated in my home-theater tuner and recorder. I get a message: “This disk is not compatible”. They work fine on other players (including an older Panasonic) and my PC DVD player.

I thought I’d copy them one at a time onto DVD-RW media, watch them on the big screen, and then erase the disk to copy another. The copies’ picture and audio are fine, but when I play them on any DVD player, the subtitles aren’t there. The English subtitle is checked when I copy the disk. (I need the subtitles, as I’m severely hard of hearing.)

Is this something that happens on DVD-RW media? I haven’t tried this on DVD+R media, as I already have a copy that will probably play on the next DVD deck I get.

Any suggestions?

[QUOTE=joelrosado;2306529]Here are a couple of issues that are combined in a single problem.

Some copies I made with a much earlier version of DVDFab won’t play on my DVD player (Panasonic DMR-EZ47V) that’s integrated in my home-theater tuner and recorder. I get a message: “This disk is not compatible”. They work fine on other players (including an older Panasonic) and my PC DVD player.

I thought I’d copy them one at a time onto DVD-RW media, watch them on the big screen, and then erase the disk to copy another. The copies’ picture and audio are fine, but when I play them on any DVD player, the subtitles aren’t there. The English subtitle is checked when I copy the disk. (I need the subtitles, as I’m severely hard of hearing.)

Is this something that happens on DVD-RW media? I haven’t tried this on DVD+R media, as I already have a copy that will probably play on the next DVD deck I get.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

The remote for your set-top DVD player should have a subtitles button on it…have you tried pressing that?

Re the other problem… without more details I can only guess at the problem, but if you are using +R blanks to write some of this (I’m not assuming that you’ve been using -RW blanks all along…maybe I should…) the Book-Type on the +R media has to be set before some DVD players will recognize the disks…on the other hand, if this is -RW media, you may have to experiment to see if you can get it to work…by the way, who’s media (as in Mfr.) is it?

OC

:slight_smile:

If you want the subtitles to display always with all movies, use Customize/Remove Menus or Main Movie mode and set the default arrow so that it points to the sub stream that contains the ones you want. The player will then always play them without pushing any buttons. This is explained in the Tutorial here: http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/DVDToDVDCustomize

As to the other problems, regular blanks are cheap enough to quit using the RWs. They cause problems on many players. Try that first.

Thanks, both of you.

Regarding OCanada’s reply
[I]The remote for your set-top DVD player should have a subtitles button on it…have you tried pressing that?[/I]

Yes, but on the DVD-RW copy it showed a subtitle but wouldn’t turn it on.

[I]Re the other problem... without more details I can only guess at the

problem, but if you are using +R blanks to write some of this (I’m not assuming that you’ve been using -RW blanks all along…maybe I should…) the Book-Type on the +R media has to be set before some DVD players will recognize the disks…on the other hand, if this is -RW media, you may have to experiment to see if you can get it to work…by the way, who’s media (as in Mfr.) is it?[/I]

I’ve been using Sony (Japan) +R media all along, have had the book type set the same for all versions of DVDFab. The only reason I tried this on -RW media was because the copy played OK on other players, so I only needed a temporary copy for the big screen (100") player.

Regarding signals’ reply:
[I]If you want the subtitles to display always with all movies, use Customize/Remove Menus or Main Movie mode and set the default arrow so that it points to the sub stream that contains the ones you want. The player will then always play them without pushing any buttons.[/I]

I’ve been using DVDFab for two years and didn’t know about the default arrow for subtitles. I’ll try that and see what happens.

Thanks again for the excellent help.

joro