Subtitles Dances with Wolves for Mobile

vbimport

I’ve been trying to get the subtitles for Dances with Wolves, the stuff where the Sioux are speaking, to be rendered directly into the MP4 file I’m ripping/encoding. I see that there are 2 english subtitle streams, but neither seem to produce the desired results. I’ve tried all combinations of these 2 streams and the “display forced subtitles” button. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Eric

If I can find my original of DWW I’ll try it tomorrow and see how it works for me.

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye on this post.

Here I think is the problem: the “Display only forced subpicture” box is designed to work only with newer DVDs, where the translation subtitles are a subset of the full English subpicture stream. This is not the case with Dances–there are no forced start commands in the subpicture streams in the VOB files, the Sioux translations are contained in their own subpic with the forcing done in the IFO files. To make an MP4 or other mobile conversion on movies authored this way, you must first determine where the translation subtitles are (which stream) and how they are controlled. If they are in a separate stream as in Dances With Wolves you should select [B]only[/B] that stream (in this case the top English one), select Direct Render to Video and [B]UNcheck [/B]the “Display only forced…” box: since there are no forced start commands, this box will always produce blanks. This is a great movie and I hope this works for you–I tested with the 2004 vesion. Here is a capture of my results:

Signals,

FYI:

There is a similar problem with the french dialogue in the DaVinci Code which is a newer release

[B]@ejmcalla[/B]
Ooops. It’s the [B]bottom[/B] English subpicture stream in DVDFab, not the top one. Sorry.

[B]@Gregiboy[/B]
I remember the French and Latin translations in that one being forced (so the checkbox will work). I will check my copy. See here.

Signals - Thanks for the help. I was able to get the subtitles working. My problem was I would only rip/encode a single chapter at a time to test which combo of subtitle/forcing would work. As I found out, this wouldn’t work because the behavior of doing a single chapter versus the whole movie is not the same. A possible bug. Looks like I’ll have to go back to running tests/experiments on the whole movie and not just a chapter.

Eric

Okay, well ive been going through hell trying to find
the full movie Dances With Wolves with the english subtitles
for when they speak in Sioux, i’d love to understand what they’re
saying, if anyone could help me, it’d really be appreciated :frowning:

[quote=ejmccalla;2026894]Signals - Thanks for the help. I was able to get the subtitles working. My problem was I would only rip/encode a single chapter at a time to test which combo of subtitle/forcing would work. As I found out, this wouldn’t work because the behavior of doing a single chapter versus the whole movie is not the same. A possible bug. Looks like I’ll have to go back to running tests/experiments on the whole movie and not just a chapter.

Eric[/quote]Eric
I discovered this a month or so ago–same problem. I found it would work if you begin with chapter 1, otherwise, forget it. I have talked with Ting, one of the authors about it and I think it is on the list of things to look at after the Chinese spring holiday. I seem to have replied to a post that’s almost a year old…zzzzzzzzz…

[quote=minashorty;2211363]Okay, well ive been going through hell trying to find
the full movie Dances With Wolves with the english subtitles
for when they speak in Sioux, i’d love to understand what they’re
saying, if anyone could help me, it’d really be appreciated :([/quote]Minashorty
See post #4 in this thread for the solution, and the correction about which stream to select in post #6. This was the 2004 version of Dances, the more recently released one may be authored differently. You may have to look for the correct stream, or they may be forced now.