Substitute for Dual Layer burner Optiarc AD-7200S

vbimport

Hi there,

I used to have an old machine which I installed a couple of Pioneer drives in to and burnt many Dual Layer discs, various brands without any problems, the drive used an IDE connector so when I changed machines, I couldn’t transfer them over.

The new machine I have is a SATA only, the drive is came with is an ‘Optiarc DVD±RW AD-7200S ATA’ drive which a few days ago I attempted burning some Dual Layers via IMGBurn and Nero at x2.4 speed (says the drive doesn’t support this speed), x4 and x6 where all 5 Sony discs failed. I realize today that after looking at this link https://www.sony-optiarc.eu/uploads/media/media_list_for_AD-720x.pdf the ‘Media list’ for the drive I use doesn’t support Sony under ‘DVD-R DL’ nor does it support many other brand of disc I use to use with the Pioneer drive, Imation, TDK ect… It’s a bit useless only supporting Verbatim.

I’d just like some suggestions on the 4 drives below on which one would be the most reliable to use to burn my Dual Layers at x2.4 as my Optiarc doesn’t support that speed nor does it support a variety of brands.

1. Pioneer DVR-220BK http://www.shop.bt.com/products/pioneer-vr-220bk-24x-int-sata-dvdrw-black-oem-w-o-label-flash-8HLP.html?refs=4294952709-4294959720-55360000-11

2. Samsung SH-224BB/RSMS http://www.shop.bt.com/products/samsung-24x-sh-224bb-dvd-rw-sata-retail-half-height--3-bezels--8CLM.html?refs=4294952709-4294959720-55360000-11

3. Pioneer DVR-S20LBK http://www.shop.bt.com/products/pioneer-dvd-rw-24x-sata-internal---retail-box-8FP4.html?refs=4294952709-4294959720-55360000-11

4. LG GH24NS95.AUAR http://www.shop.bt.com/products/lg-electronics-24x-dvd-rw-sata-black-retail-kit-8FR0.html?refs=4294952709-4294959720-55360000-11

Cheers,

DiNZi!

Have you already updated the firmware to see if that may do the trick?

I’ve given up with it. I was shocked to see how little the drive supports when looking at the Media list.

Yesterday, I did attempt updating the firmware and I get the error message ‘Target drive is not found correctly.’ Any ideas?

That support list lists media Manufacturers supported. Sony and many other brands do not manufacture most of the discs that they sell.

What is the media code displayed by ImgBurn of the DLs you are trying to use? And what is the current firmware on your drive?

Thanks for your response deanwitty, I currently have firmware 102A installed. See if you can assist me at the thread below, cheers.

[QUOTE=DiNZi;2678783]I’ve given up with it. I was shocked to see how little the drive supports when looking at the Media list.[/QUOTE]
Optiarc probably only added media to their list where they expect to have a reliable quality. If you take a look at the supported media codes with MCSE, you will find a lot more media that works on this drive, but no drive can provide excellent results if you feed it with crap media.

From the supported media list, there are only a few brands that I would consider buying.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2678927]Optiarc probably only added media to their list where they expect to have a reliable quality. If you take a look at the supported media codes with MCSE, you will find a lot more media that works on this drive, but no drive can provide excellent results if you feed it with crap media.

From the supported media list, there are only a few brands that I would consider buying.[/QUOTE]

Could very well be that, thanks for your help, I’ve upgraded the firmware on my Optiarc AD-7200S drive and just awaiting some of the same Sony media that failed with the old firmware to give it another shot with the upgraded firmware. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Do you recommend any settings/software I should be using when I get the media and give it another try? With the old firmware I was using, I used IMGBurn at x2.4 where a notification came up in the log saying drive does not support x2.4 got x4 instead and this failed 4 times at x4. I hope with the new firmware it works properly.

For dual-layer disks I would only go for Verbatim media. Burn the 2.4x media (mediacode MKM 001) at 2.4x and 8x media (MKM 003) at 4x.

For single layer media, I’m currently using Verbatim 16x (MCC 003) and Sony 16x (Sony D21) DVD+R media. Writing to both at 8x and getting very good results with my Optiarc AD-7201S (basically the same hardware as 7200S just with additional Lightscribe support)

The only setting I would recommend is changing the booktype for DVD+R DL and DVD+R to DVD-ROM (changing DVD+R booktype is only supported on patched firmwares, for DVD+R DL it should be the default setting)

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2678797]That support list lists media Manufacturers supported. Sony and many other brands do not manufacture most of the discs that they sell.

What is the media code displayed by ImgBurn of the DLs you are trying to use? And what is the current firmware on your drive?[/QUOTE]

Hi, I’ve got the Sony media in the drive now and IMGBurn open, could someone tell me where to look for the ‘media code’ in IMGBurn and also how to check this against my drive (Optiarc AD-7200S).

Thanks!

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2678797]That support list lists media Manufacturers supported. Sony and many other brands do not manufacture most of the discs that they sell.

What is the media code displayed by ImgBurn of the DLs you are trying to use? And what is the current firmware on your drive?[/QUOTE]

Right, okay I have found the media code for the Sony discs I’m using and it’s ‘MBIPG101-R10-65’ any idea if I can check this against my Optiarc AD-7200S drive, thanks!

[QUOTE=DiNZi;2679058]Right, okay I have found the media code for the Sony discs I’m using and it’s ‘MBIPG101-R10-65’ any idea if I can check this against my Optiarc AD-7200S drive, thanks![/QUOTE]

Open media code edit and load the firmwire for the ad-7200 and it will display all the mid for the supported media in the list.

Just had a Look for you Dinzi and it does support that disc with mid MBIPG101-R10-65 and write speed is 8x , 6x , 4x

[QUOTE=pillowtalk;2679077]Open media code edit and load the firmwire for the ad-7200 and it will display all the mid for the supported media in the list.

Just had a Look for you Dinzi and it does support that disc with mid MBIPG101-R10-65 and write speed is 8x , 6x , 4x[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, so that means it could possibly be the old firmware I was using that was causing the problem? I will give it a try.

Let`s hope so Dinzi

[QUOTE=pillowtalk;2679094]Let`s hope so Dinzi[/QUOTE]

I’ll keep you posted and let you know how I get on, I still may even get the Pioneer DVR-220BK as a secondary one and hope that is more reliable than the Samsung SH-224BB/RSMS, haven’t got any responses on that thread yet.

[QUOTE=pillowtalk;2679077]Open media code edit and load the firmwire for the ad-7200 and it will display all the mid for the supported media in the list.

Just had a Look for you Dinzi and it does support that disc with mid MBIPG101-R10-65 and write speed is 8x , 6x , 4x[/QUOTE]

There are scan results for the Kodak branded version of this MID burned with an AD-7200A (essentially the same drive as the AD-7200S, except PATA) starting here. They burn ok at 4x and 8x, but are no substitute for Verbatim DVD+R DL (MKM 001 or MKM 003) media.