Subchannel/TOC error question

Hello all,

I’m new, just registered. This website/forum came up when I googled the above phrase “Subchannel/TOC error”. If anyone is familiar with what that error message means, I’d appreciate learning about it.

Here’s the story. I have a CD master of original music I made; burned the individual tracks on a Denon CD burner, edited them in Adobe Audition, then made the master CD using Nero on my XP PC. Sent it to the plant - they’re not replicating them, they’re making CD-Rs from my master - and they emailed me saying that error message came up and they’re concerned if they manufacture them the CD-Rs may not play on all players.

I’ve never seen that message and have no idea what it even means. Anyone have an idea and what I might be able to do to correct it on a new master CD? Thanks.

Welcome to CDF’s:

Sounds like the TOC=Table Of Contents is messed up. In that case yeah they probably won’t play on much of anything.

I would say you need a new master.

What brand of CD-R’s are you using? What speed was the CD-R burned? Is you Denon CD burner a stand alone?

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion. So are you suggesting this may have been a one-time error? If I make a new master just as I did the first time, the same problem may not occur?

Are you aware of any way to check the CD for that error (other than playing it on a number of different CD players)?

Thanks

Sorry i added some info in my post you may not have seen.

I don’t know how to check it other than throwing the disc in a picky player. Maybe someone else knows.

The TOC has all the info for the disc. Knows where all the tracks are on the disc. It’s very important.

Was it an overburn? The TOC is written last i believe.

Edit:
Some media is really crappy on the outer edge where the dye might not be good. So like i said the TOC is written last so if you filled up the disc or overburned then that might be it.

Cool, thanks. I appreciate the input.

So more info like what blanks are you using? What speed did you burn it? How big is it in MB’s? And what model Denon did you burn it on?

Did you play it ok after burning it?

Bob,

Sorry, to answer the questions:

I’m using Sony blank CD-Rs

I believe the burn speed was 4x or 8x

Yes, the Denon burner is a standalone. That’s what I used for the original mixes of the songs from the 24-track recorder. I then took those master mixes, put them in Adobe Audition on my PC for editing, saved them as .wav files and burned them (again on Sony CD-Rs) with the Nero program on my PC to make the final compiled master.

I’m sorry, I’m new to some of this technical jargon, I don’t know what an ‘overburn’ is.

Thanks again.

The Denon is a CDR-W 1500, about 6 years old.

The audio files vary from 30Mb to about 60Mb - 12 total, run time is about 53 minutes.

I’ve usually only played the CDs burned from the Denon on the computer CD-ROM drive to input them for editing. Haven’t taken the Denon CDs and tried them on a lot of different players.

But the CDs I’ve burned with Nero on the PC I’ve played on a number of CD-ROM drives and various home and auto CD players with no problems.

ok Sony CD-R’s and you have Nero. In Nero you have Tools and one of them is CD -DVD Speed. Throw one of them in and open up that tool and click on the Disc Info Tab. Post what is says.

Now that you actually burned the finished CD-R master with your PC…what brand/model is that one? and what speed did you burn it?

Overburning is when say you have an 80 minute CD-R and you put 82 minutes on it.

The default burn speed on the Nero (and it’s Nero Express) software is 24x. That’s what it would have burned the master at.

The computer is an E-Machines (Gateway) PC running XP.

ok then get this small file and it will tell you/me/us what burner you have and the media in the Disc Info tab.

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ get 4.11.2.0

OK thanks…downloaded and it’s running now

It says the drive is a TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H552D GA01

It says the average burn rate was 23.81x
Type: P-CAV
Disc type - CD-R
Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden
MID 97m24s01f
write speeds: 8x - 16x - 24x
capacity: 75:59:73
703 Mb
there’s another field with “raw data” ATIP with a bunch of numbers and letters…do you need those?

At the top of that app there is a small icon that looks like a floppy disc. Click on it to save a screen shot. Save to .png file and then post it here using the Go Advanced button under the typing post box.

Never mind that’s good.

here it is…

I need to run out for about half an hour…I’ll check back asap. Thanks again for your help!

[QUOTE=justaguy;2050231]It says the drive is a TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H552D GA01

It says the average burn rate was 23.81x
Type: P-CAV
Disc type - CD-R
Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden
MID 97m24s01f
write speeds: 8x - 16x - 24x
capacity: 75:59:73
703 Mb
there’s another field with “raw data” ATIP with a bunch of numbers and letters…do you need those?[/QUOTE]I’m not familiar with that DVD drive but those are probably the best discs you can buy. TY=Tayio Yuden. I bet it says made in Japan on the label. Keep only buying Made In Japan.

I would burn one at 16x on that same media and send it to them. I’m not a Nero fan but you might of had a glitch on your burn or your Nero app is messed up.

[QUOTE=justaguy;2050236]I need to run out for about half an hour…I’ll check back asap. Thanks again for your help![/QUOTE]
ok no problem so do i :bigsmile:

Edit:
I use CD-R burners for my CD-R’s. I use Plextor Premiums.

Edit2:
Anyone else have something to add here :bow: :flower:

I just thought about something else with the Sony media and this goes for all CD-R and DVD. Sony discs are not all MIJ=Made In Japan! So be sure you look on the labels to make sure. For DVD’s Tayio Yuden MIJ or Verbatim brand MIT=Made In Taiwan are both good.

There is a Media forum here and if your interested, there is a lot of knowledge to learn about media there.