Stuttering on DVD player

vbimport

I’ve seen this subject before,but no real answer.Have the 716a 0202 1.03.Problem is when I burn a movie,I giet the skipping and the stuttering on several stand alone players.I’ve tried TDK 4x-r,Sony 8x -r,and now TDK 4x +r’s.The +r’s give excellent Sum8 tests(never get above 20)at 6x.But still slight stuttering.Should I try burning them at 4x?I have read that some DVD players can’t read disks burn’t at speeds over 4x?If this is true,whats the use of having a 16x,or 8x for that matter burner???Thanks for the help!!

Voodoo

The better question might be: What’s the use of having a DVD player that can’t read/play discs that were burned at higher than 4x. A friend of mine’s player won’t play anything burned on DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, or DVD-RW - just (pressed) DVD-ROM. Is that the player’s fault or the burner’s?

Another good question!!Mine seems to play the ones burn’t at 6x.But chokes on the ones burn’t at 8?

PlexTools Professional V2.18 Q-Check PI/PO Test (SUM8)
Copyright © 1999-2004 Plextor SA/NV Sunday, January 16, 2005

Drive Info   ID:0 PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A V1.03 (#192879) 

Test Settings Read Speed: 2X CLV
Test Interval Length: High Accuracy
Test Result Disc Info: NEW DVD+R, 4361 MB (NEW) RICOHJPN R01 02

Avg Max Total
PIE 0.34 18 47342
POF - - 0

Test Duration 0:27:29

RICOHJPNR01 (DVD+R 4x) is one of the best media, IMO. It can be burn @8x excellent. If you are having trouble then I would guess is your player. Try in another player (your friend?) and let us know what happen. I would spend $50-100 for a new player rather than waisting disks or time.

zevia,thank you for the quick response!!This seems to happening on several DVD players!!(4 skip)(1 does’nt even see disk!).This is my 3rd 716a,and ALL movies play back fine on the drive.I am at a loss?I’ve tossed about 20 disk’s cause they did this!!As far as my DVD player,the slower I burn on DVD+R,the better,have’nt tried one as low as 4x yet!The other DVD players are VERY cheap ones(my kids+3,all the same brand).All I really want to do is burn a movie(Don’t we all)and have it play properly!!Even if I have to burn at 4x!I am new at this,so I ask your advise?Have you heard that stand alone DVD players don’t like anything burned at speeds over 4x??Thanks again for your response!!And does the above burn look O.K.???SORRY have’nt figured out how to upload the graph itself!

Voodoo

It can be the application used for backing up the movie. What softwares have you used exactly (ripping, editing, transcoding/encoding, burning)?

http://www.a-mw.com/products/dvd/dvd.htm

i got the v101 (http://www.a-mw.com/products/dvd/v101.htm) and it literally plays anything and everything i throw at it. for $35 at best buy, it works for me since i have a terrible tv. i actually prefer watching dvds on my 20in lcd.

I use DVD Shrink 3.2 for ripping(Lite-on 16x DVD-ROM)on a different comp.,then transfer to mine,over my home network.Then I use NERO 6.3.1.20 to burn to disk.Do you think it may be the transfer procedure that is screwing up the disk’s???

THANKS!

Voodoo

drpino,Thanks first off!Mine states it will play all and more!!But still does’nt like anything recorded over 6x!!!GPX DV2000

Has anyone heard of DVD players not reading the higher speeds???

try to update your nero version.use the newest one 6.6.0.5!

sorry, i burn discs at 16X with PowerRec ON and they play fine. i’ve heard people who stick to 4X when burning movies, but that takes way too long for me.

Thanks again.D/L updated NERO now,guess I’ll see if that helps!!

stuttering on a DVD PLAYER…burning discs at higher speeds doesn’t necessarily mean they will playback fine on dvd players…remember now older dvd players may have problems in reading the discs back compared to newer dvd players…in my opinion why waste burning discs at higher speeds if your dvd player won’t play them back correctly…is time that precious for you that 15 minutes doesn’t cut it? updating to the latest NERO won’t solve the stuttering dvd problem…if you dvd player can’t playback discs burned at higher speeds then drop the speed down to whatever the speed of the disc is suppose to be at… just my 2 cents… :wink:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDS

DVD ADDICT,Thats what I’m looking for!!Everyone on the forums are worried about speed.Don’t give a sh&t about the the speed,as long as it play’s in MY DVD player!!

Doesn’t sound like a burning problem to me. Sounds like a ripping problem. My $0.02

Nah I doubt it’s a ripping problem since his PX-716A can play the back-ups just fine. If the ripping process had gone wrong then the drive would also have problems playing it back. My opinion is that the player is the problem here: it simply cannot read DVDR media properly. I had the same problem with my Xbox: it could not properly play DVDR Video discs, unless I used high quality media burned ay 4x (and even then sometimes I would see pixelation in the back-ups). My solution: bought an extra DVD player from Sony. This thing plays everything without a problem. Just my €0,02 :wink:

Before I got my 708A to firmware 1.06+ the only way I seemed to be able to insure good burns was to turn off my power saving and screen savers. You might also want to try Ridata discs. I know that TDK and Sony are good brands but I’ve burned a number of Ridata +r’s at 8x recently and all have played in my home players. Just my $0.01 being a newbie to the forum and all. :wink:

Here is a compatibility list for dvd players it may help:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=801&Search=Search&

Voodoo,

• What is the media brand of your RicohjpnR01? The scan with max PIE=18 is excellent! If you want to upload pics, you can click “post reply” and “manage attachment”.
  • Try rip and burn from 716a directly.
  • Try different media.

Please report back.