Stuttering and Pixelation. Please HELP!

vbimport

I experienced stuttering and pixelation problems after burning FujiFilm DVD-R discs on my Lite-On LDW851S and playing them on my Panasonic DVD-RV32 player. However, the discs played fine on my DVD drive. Someone at work told me that he experienced the same problem with his Pioneer DVD-RW and that it was definitely not the media. He said that he solved this problem by avoiding on the fly DVD copying (kiind of obvious) and by not touching his PC while it was burning - he wouldn’t even touch a mouse. Is this true? Is DVD burning so sensitive? I burned CD-Rs on my Lite-On at 40X (almost the same as 4X DVD speed) and had no problems. Why is DVD burning different?

Do some K-Probe scans and post them…
I believe it IS media problem. Or, maybe your Panasonic is quite picky. You should try another brand or even DVD+R media.

You could maybe try not copying on the fly and reading the original at lowest available speed. That will likely increase the accuracy of the original image. However, if the media is the problem, you will notice no better results in your player.
Panasonic seem to be pretty picky. Try DVD+R with bitsetting :slight_smile:

Fuji -R and my 411S do not mix. I would imagine that the 851S would not do better. Of the 20 attempts at making a good Fuji -R disc, I made 20 coasters :frowning:

No time to wonder… :eek:
I we all mean the same FUJI DVD-R, they are made by Prodisc.crap.
:Z

Some (the ones made in Japan) are Tayo Yuden, aren’t they ?

Actually mine were ritekg03. I got them from BJ’s Wholesale here in the US.

I had similar problems with my 451@851 and Ritek G04 discs.
Discs reading was ok on my computer and ko (pixelisation and freeze) on my standalone dvd player Pioneer.
The same dvd were ok on other dvd player so i think the problem is a association of liteon sensitivity on -R and dvd player sensitivity.

I thought I found the solution when I test recordnow instead of Nero as burning program.
Results were better but I still have some problems.
So I decided to update my firmware to the latest version, GS0H, which is considered as good for DVD-R burning.
I decided also to avoid to use another application on my PC in the same time that the burning process.
And I have good results now (on 3 or 4 DVD-R burnt).
I don’t know exactly if it is the firmware update or the fact that I don’t use the PC during the burn, but it seems to be ok !

Hope this helps.:slight_smile:

Keep us aware of your progress

My Fuji media is TYG01. Everyone says it’s supposed to be very good. Some people even suggested that it’s my drive and that Lite-On dirves are poorly QAed and calibrated. Any truth to that?

Which DVD-R/DVD+R media is best to use with LDW-851S? Any thoughts on TDK or Verbatim?

Originally posted by soccerman
[B]My Fuji media is TYG01. Everyone says it’s supposed to be very good. Some people even suggested that it’s my drive and that Lite-On dirves are poorly QAed and calibrated. Any truth to that?

Which DVD-R/DVD+R media is best to use with LDW-851S? Any thoughts on TDK or Verbatim? [/B]

TYG01 is reported to be some of the best available media for the litey.
It’s possible the calibration is off for your drive unit in particular.

QA, possibly, but I doubt it’s worse than any other manufacturer.

If you are still getting bad results, please check your adaptec aspi layer installation using aspichk.exe (run a search on google) and confirm that all files are the same version.

If they are different versions or they are not present, you will need to run the latest version of forceaspi.

Despite the fact that adaptecs aspi layer is never used, it still manages to screw things up occasionally.

Here are my K-Probe results. Very alarming I must say. BLER seems to be OK - PI error top out at around 14 and POs are around 2. However, ADER is way too high. What’s going on here? Am I interpreting results right?

ADER info is here.

Originally posted by soccerman
Here are my K-Probe results. Very alarming I must say. BLER seems to be OK - PI error top out at around 14 and POs are around 2. However, ADER is way too high. What’s going on here? Am I interpreting results right?

Your PIPO results are fine. YOu have nothing to worry about :slight_smile:
Max PI/PO for best readability are 280/32.
Your results are well below these levels.
Don’t worry about those at all :slight_smile:

ADER on the other hand looks attrocious.
Hmmm.

If >50% bits are slightly out of place, it will certainly affect the readability. Some people find that they get better results after a good shaking, others prefer to just reflash their drives with new/different firmware.

Try the aspi thing and see if it makes a difference, also if you have a different program available, try it. Maybe also try NOT burning on the fly as your friend suggested, although I sincerely suspect he may be thinking about Audio CDR’s and jitter problems from years ago.

If it still fails, I’d suggest maybe trying a different firmware :slight_smile:

Definatley avoid the “on the fly” copying. This is probably the root of your problem.
Do the ADER write test and show that result here.

That result was NOT from on the fly copying, that’s why it conserns me. I will post my write results tomorrow.

That result was NOT from on the fly copying, that’s why it conserns me

That’s not what I meant. I suspect your burner is giving good burns, the on the fly is causing the pixelation issue not the burner.
The ADER write is the only meaningful test, not the ADER read.

You aren’t the first person to report problems with a LiteOn DVD burner and the Panasonic DVD-RV32 player.
Some related topics can be found here and here.
I have a strong feeling the discs would work find in most other players, it’s just something to do with the way the Panasonic player reads the DVD’s burnt by LiteOn (it doesn’t like them).

I would try different firmware’s that are known to be good for -R compatibility. You could also try using +R media bit set to -ROM which was reported to help.

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]You aren’t the first person to report problems with a LiteOn DVD burner and the Panasonic DVD-RV32 player…

I would try different firmware’s that are known to be good for -R compatibility. You could also try using +R media bit set to -ROM which was reported to help. [/B]

Yes, is true. With my old 411S and 811S only few discs works well in Pananasonic RV32 (bad home dvd-player for me).
Now, with my new 812S, much more discs works well, also with KProbe scans not so good.
Hi.

Do not forget for ADER test to do the write test and then read.
If you just read it won’t give good results.

Mmm hope I understood this test well but I think it is the way it runs.