Stupidest idea ever?

So I was looking for a pda or organizer to keep track of expenses (to quit overdrawing the checking account with a 4$ charge on my card when I have cash in my pocket). So I’m looking at old model pda’s that I can get cheap (found one really cheap but am being told its a pos). So I had the stupidest idea in the world flash through my head. I don’t want to spend a lot of, money, maybe I could install a desktop computer in the trunk (I have ample parts laying around)!!! I could use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and either run video to a portable dvd player w/screen, or maybe I could get it to interface with my touch screen gps (that runs window ce and is supposed to be modable to boot into windows/run programs). Obviously this would not be something to use while driving. I even have power inverters to power it!!! So after thinking about, I had to laugh at myself for coming up with such a stupid idea… Then again, I have been know to follow through, on even stupider ideas, just to see if I could do it. I don’t have a lot of free time these days, but how hard could it be (waiting for someone to confirm what a stupid idea it is…)?

In Pimp My Ride I have seen crazier stuff…
I think it would need quite a lot of battery power…

[quote=Da_Taxman;2125272]In Pimp My Ride I have seen crazier stuff…
I think it would need quite a lot of battery power…[/quote]

How about towing a solar powerd battery trailer behind you :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2125272]In Pimp My Ride I have seen crazier stuff…
I think it would need quite a lot of battery power…[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t think it would be that bad, lol. Headlights take about 100 watts or something like that. Performance stereos sometimes require larger alternators (like 150 amp@12v) because the factory 50-80amp ones cannot handle it? I wonder if it would qualify for the “most ghetto laptop” award…

I think its an awesome idea.
Go for it and post the results! :cool:

[QUOTE=hax0rth0r;2125312]I think its an awesome idea.
Go for it and post the results! :cool:[/QUOTE]

I didn’t really plan on doing it, but then again, I do have 3 out of the next 5 days off, and I will already be working on computers (switching the htpc to a better case and building a better computer for the kids)…

As strange coincidence would have it, I do need to tear the back seat of the car out too (the rear deck speakers are dead and I have had some infinity speakers sitting on the shelf for a couple months waiting to be put in)…

Unfortunately, If I build the kids a computer, I would be short a motherboard for another computer (I have another athlon 64 pull cpu, but where would I find a soscket 939 motherboard cheap and fast? If it wasn’t for the problem of the trunk becoming a heat cabinet, and the hard drive getting shaken apart, I might really consider it (just because I’m into stupid little projects, just to see if I can do it). Hhhmmmmm…

Then again there is that pentium 3 computer I have (I planned on using it for a win 98 gaming computer but it does happen to be very small)?

Core 2 Laptop + LCD Monitor = 50W + 40W = 90W of power … not too shabby :wink:
You could power it from your battery, but you’ll chew up a tad more fuel than usual recharging the battery.

Also be aware that batteries aren’t 12/24V … but sustained 12V/24V … so are really something like 13.5V/27V when they aren’t under load, so make sure your voltage regulator supplying your inverter is smart & doesn’t just pass through overvoltage which can damage everything.

it would probably be a good idea if you didn’t need the inverter at all. Running low voltage reticulation next to extra low voltage reticulation likely violates every electrical standard in the world … except maybe hong kong, and quite frankly dangerous for yourself (and other people using the car) as well :stuck_out_tongue:

See if you can get a laptop that runs directly from 12V, and an LCD that runs from a 12V power source :wink:

Actually I was thinking about a desktop, not a lap top, as all the parts would be free. If I was going to buy a lap top I could just use that (and that I have heard of, laptops mounted in cars).

If you found a way to keep everything stable it would be pretty cool.

[QUOTE=hax0rth0r;2125626]If you found a way to keep everything stable it would be pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

biggest problem would be, HEAT, HEAT, HEAT!!! I kind of forgot for a second, that I live in Texas… Its cooler here (not over 100f is cooler), but I forgot the whole, trunk becomes an oven in Texas heat (you could use a super efficient, low power design, and it wouldn’t matter, anything can over heat here unless designed for it). Desktops are not designed to run in 150f heat (even if its less, if its 100 here, your trunk is an oven)…

Blocks of dry ice? lol.

[QUOTE=hax0rth0r;2125771]Blocks of dry ice? lol.[/QUOTE]

Dont go giving me bad ideas. Bad cause I would try it, just to see if it would work…

Ah ripit have you thought of a small note book and writing implement.
Immune from the heat, no batteries to run down and no accidentally pressing the wrong button.:bigsmile:

[quote=weedougie;2125961]Ah ripit have you thought of a small note book and writing implement.
Immune from the heat, no batteries to run down and no accidentally pressing the wrong button.:bigsmile:[/quote]

Haha maybe a solar power calculator to go with it?

A standard desktop machine just isn’t built for travel.

Vibration will mean connectors come loose, video/sound/network cards get vibrated out of their sockets … and as stated, the heat generation will be excessive, unless you find a way to effectively ventilate it out of the boot …

250W of power for a few hours in a small boot . especially on an already warm day.
Might end up with heatpipes integrated into the cars bodywork :wink:

Why not just use cash? You can’t overspend that way.

[quote=debro;2126987]A standard desktop machine just isn’t built for travel.

Vibration will mean connectors come loose, video/sound/network cards get vibrated out of their sockets … and as stated, the heat generation will be excessive, unless you find a way to effectively ventilate it out of the boot …

250W of power for a few hours in a small boot . especially on an already warm day.
Might end up with heatpipes integrated into the cars bodywork ;)[/quote]

You could always find a way to harness the heat and bake pizzas or something. haha and then make some profit. :bigsmile: