Stupid question

I get well slow read speeds from my Samsung CDRW for mpg VCD files (in Explorer under 98) - data transfer on the whole is slow how can i tweak?
Also, general performance tweaks?
How can i increase CDR read speeds?
Thanks all
:slight_smile:

There’s no such thing as a stupid question

wich model of samsung CDRW do you have if it’s an older drive it can depend on the max speed also check if DMA is enabled

Its a Samsung SW240b 40x 12x 40x

System is a 1300Mhz Duron
256MB
IBM XP 7200 60GB HD
64MB Ge Force 4
O/B SiS AC97 sound
Win98 SE
unbranded 32x slave CD Rom

Data transfer rate main issue, (IDE cable?)
But also, when burning, can never get faster than 20x read and 18 write, tried CloneCD, Roxio Creator and Nero - all the same slow speed.
tried quality media and unbranded.

Help!

Well there’s no such thing a stupid question but… Have you read the answer to your question: have you checked whether DMA is on? Have you tried doing a search of this site? This is one of the most common issues answered here, you will end up with plenty of answers.

Sorry for the cold shower, just wanted to spare you from a more curt response from Da_Taxman :bigsmile:

Well, forum description reads something like “if you have s tupid question here’s the place for it” or something like that, and i figured more people’d read it with that title, but whatever,

Yes I’ve tried the search feature - and tried whatever general susuggested, including DMA in CP. However, still get slow read speeds of *.dat (mpeg 1) files from my VCDs - to copy 400MB from CD to HD can take up to half an hour.

The only thing i found mentioned but haven’t tried is to change the IDE cable but don’t know what i need and if this really makes a difference (ULTRA DMA33?66?100?) whats the difference? which is fastest/most reliable? Which will be bestfor transferring mpeg video data specifically.
Is it likely that this is the problem anyway as I get pretty fast read/write of everything else except my mpgs/VCDs.

Its a Samsung SW240b 40x 12x 40x

System is a 1300Mhz Duron
256MB
IBM XP 7200 60GB HD
64MB Ge Force 4
O/B SiS AC97 sound
Win98 SE
unbranded 32x slave CD Rom

VCD uses the CD-ROM/XA Mode 2/Form 2 format.

This mode has 2,324 bytes of user information compared to 2,048 bytes in standard ISO 9660 data modes. The extra capacity is gained because this mode used by VCD’s does not have sector level error correction.

Although the information on a VCD is not as error-critical as a data disc, because of the lack of higher level error correction it is a common design feature for reading and writing to be slower for this mode. This is done as insurance in order to prevent uncorrectible errors that may be introduced at higher speeds.

Try testing with Nero CD Speed to confirm if you burner is operating normally. Run the Transfer Rate test with a standard mode 1 data CD-ROM and see if it extracts at the speed rated by the burner specifications. If so, there is nothing wrong with your drive.

If the drive passes the test with the standard data disc, then try the same test with one of your VCD’s, if it extracts very slowly, then this is designed into the burner and is normal performance (however undesirably slow). There is nothing to be done about this. :wink: