Stupid question: How many DVDs can I burn a day?

Hi, CD Freaks forum members.

Over the years I kept hearing that I should not burn more than 5 discs a day. Going over that might allegedly overstress the machinery in the burner and kill it in the end.

It is not that I care about my drive. Nowadays they are cheap enough to not worry too much about them, but I do care about the data I burn, and, if this thing I’ve kept hearing about the 5 burns a day is true and I burn more than that a day during a period of time, I might end with data loss any, which might be unpleasant given day.

I’ve always though this was just a myth, an urban legend, but I wanted to ask someone knowledgeable about the issue, and this seems the right place for it.

So. Is there any truth on it? Is it a legend? Is is safe to go ever 5 DVDs/day?

Best regards.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

In my opinion, 5 discs at day is a bit exaggerated :bigsmile:

Actually the only thing you should be careful is to give the drive enough time to cool off between each burning. I think that if you can burn much more than 5 discs at day if you are careful to avoid an overheating of the drive :slight_smile:

If you need to burn a very large amount of discs, however, the best option is to get more than a single drive (3 or more, based on the amount of discs you need to burn)

For what I know, there is no relation between the number of burning you do each day and the probability to loss data. The factor really important to avoid data loss is to always use quality discs, avoiding at all “el cheapo” media :slight_smile:

Welcome to CD Freaks. :slight_smile:

I agree with geno888 on all counts. :iagree:

Hmmm… Thanks, Mr. geno888.

I was asking because I’m facing the prospect of having to burn about 700 GB before september. These huge HDDs they make today make you lose touch with the amount of data you handle :smiley:

I usually have a well stablished burning routine: burn (@4x), verify, and catalog. Maybe 25 minutes. Then burn, verify and catalog, and so on. No pauses inbetween.

I believe I use quality media. I always burn Taiyo Yudens or Verbatim MCCwhatever. I think they are legitimate (I buy them from Nierle). My current burner is an ASUS DRW-22B1ST. Is it any good?

Anyway. How much time should I let the drive cool after a burn (esp. now in the summer)?

[QUOTE=Albert;2413325]Welcome to CD Freaks. :slight_smile:

I agree with geno888 on all counts. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Albert :flower:

at importantmember

:eek: 700GB is a lot of stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

Burning at 4x maybe is not really necessary; if you use 16x discs usually 8x-12x is a better choice.

To verify discs maybe you can use a DVD-ROM drive and not the burner, so the drive can have enough time to cool up before the next burning. It is better to use a different drive to verify because also the reading process generates heat :slight_smile:

The Asus is a rebadged LiteOn. It shouldn’t pose any issues for you in normal usage [this does qualify as normal usage]. It’s not the BEST writer, but the Asus/LiteOn shouldn’t be bad at 4x/8x/12x by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh, and yes, I do definitely agree with the use of a DVD-ROM to test the discs. Not only for the reasons my friend has stated above, but also these LiteOn drives are too good at reading sometimes. :iagree:

@ importantmember,

It should be noted that Modern DVD Burners, DVD Burner Firmware and modern quality DVD Media have all been engineered, designed, and manufactured to Burn data at or slightly slower than the Media rated speed. There is no advantage in Burning Media at 4x speed – in fact if you view the numerous Disk Quality Scans posted throughout the CDFreaks Forum you will note that better Disk Quality Scans are obtained when Burning quality Media at or slightly slower than the Media rated speed than Burning the same Media at 4x speed.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks, guys. Great forum :iagree:

I think I’ll buy a new drive to share the burning duties with my current one. I’ll burn @ 8x as well (thanks, bjkg).

I’m editing the post just to say that I used to burn at 4x because it amazes me to think how in the hell is possible to burn 4,38 GB in 5 minutes @ 16x. This is more or less what my fast modern HDDs take to move such amount of data between them, and I believe that optical media is way slower than HDDs.

I’ve seen also that the drive takes more than 5 minutes to read an entire DVD. Is writing a DVD faster than reading it? It terrifies me to think about not being able to acess my data in a bunch of years, so I went the conservative way and burn at 4x.

[QUOTE=geno888;2413337]To verify discs maybe you can use a DVD-ROM drive and not the burner, so the drive can have enough time to cool up before the next burning. It is better to use a different drive to verify because also the reading process generates heat :)[/QUOTE] On the other hand, using the built-in Verify option in ImgBurn is sooo much more convenient, but that means verification must be done in the same drive that just burned the disc.

If I have to burn many discs in a row (more than three), I use more than one writer. Giving the burner a ten minute cooling off period after burning a few discs is a good idea; I’ve had poor and even failed burns if burning too many discs right after each other in the same drive with no cooling off period.

I usually allow 15 minutes or more between burns for cool down.I think not overheating the drive is the main thing to make it last.So in agrrement with the rest that gave cool down advice.
My burner likes 8x for it’s burning speed.

it depends on your health!

Thanks guys for all of the valuable information above! I Googled this stupid question and was amazed that I found my answer! I have to burn 90 DVD’s BEFORE October 1st and have considered purchasing a quantity Duplicator “Raptor IRipIt” is the name of the model. Anyone know anything about this product and it’s reliability? The project is a 3 DVD Set and I have to burn 30 copies of it.

[QUOTE=Shar54;2422520]I have to burn 90 DVD’s BEFORE October 1st and have considered purchasing a quantity Duplicator “Raptor IRipIt” is the name of the model. Anyone know anything about this product and it’s reliability? The project is a 3 DVD Set and I have to burn 30 copies of it.[/QUOTE] I don’t know anything about that duplicator, but you definitely don’t need a duplicator just to burn 90 discs in 1½ months.

A desktop computer with an internal DVD burner, or a laptop computer with an external DVD burner, enough harddisk space to temporarily store one “image” of a DVD (or three), some burning/copying software like e.g. ImgBurn, and some good quality blank DVD media, and you are good to go.

What I wouldn’t recommend is to use a laptop computer with an internal DVD burner to burn all those discs, since those drives are more fragile and harder to replace.

Congrats on your first post at CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

I burn 84 DVDs a day itself. Its a lot of work considering I only have one LG Drive at 16x. lol…Burned around 1000 DVDs already with it and its still doing good.

This thread is hilarious!

You can overheat a drive depending on the drive and how hot everything else is around it. I wasted my nice 7240 by trying to do a bunch of test burns on a 90 degree day in the computer room here.
It hasn’t burned a good disk since but still tries to work, though it tends to have areas with huge POF spikes now.
I do intend to buy another one and just watch it on hot days…:sad: