Stupid advice

vbimport

Hi,
Before I start any discussion I would like to apologise for my bad english.
So… this is going to be a multiple category thread, so I’m not even going to try putting it into any.
I’ll start with my title then… “Stupid advice”. I am an amator, or a beginner, or just a regular pc user looking to get the best out of his machine (so no, I am not a “newbie”:Z). And like any other person new into a certain domain, I’ve read the advice and tips given for “newbies”:Z (what a stupid word) like: “check for existing threads to help avoiding answering the same question multiple times”,read the FAQ section, bla, bla, bla… Yes, it’s stupid!!! Very! Because for the last 4 (four) hours I am reading threads where all sort of smart-asses are posting links to other threads, where you find links to other threads, and so on. And none of them provided a clear answer. On the contrary they mislead.
I own a TSST TS-H653N and I was trying to find out the latest firmware for it and what are the improvements compared to the previous one if there is any. Or any other way of improving my optical drive.
Instead, I only got people pouring numbers, series, verions, models, all piled up into threads with tons of links to related software.Then “patchers”,“freaks”,“moderators”,“administrators”, and so on arguing which one of them is actually right.:doh:
What I got from there was that TS-H653N is the same with SH-S203B, but no, they are not same 'cause one is a retail and one is OEM, so you can crossflash them with Dell firmware, but don’t do it 'cause it’s crap and it will only produce coasters so you’d better use TSDN,but wait!, no! use the MCSE, and then you have to patch it, using the RPC2, or better stick with RPC1, otherwise it will change the region, and after that find the media codes and change them and crossflash it again with a Mercedes to transform it into a nuclear submarine capable to fly and make sausages, able to compete in a crawling world championship, and belive me I can continue like this forever.
The idea is to let everybody ask their questions and try to assume that they are not “cdfreaks” (otherwise they would not be asking anything) and provide step by step solutions. Is that too complicated for such technical people writing answers around these forums? Do you really have to be that cocky and post stupid comments like “read the FAQ, you’ll get your answer there”, when in fact there is no straight answer there unless it’s being read by one of you?
So if there is any new members reading this, please go ahead and post your questions right away, and ignore the “smart” advice coming from ignorants sending you to other threads where your problem has already been solved. You’ll end up reading endless arguments about stuff more technical than you want to know. And more confusion instead of solutions ofcourse.
In the end, I would still like to find out what is the latest firmware for TSST TS-H653N, where to get it, how to use it, or even if it’s about crossflashing or any other thing that could make my drive better. But only if you’re capable of explaining things step by step considering talking to a beginner. Anybody dares?.

Forgot to mention: actual firmware is 0208.
And again aplogies for my english.

You forgot to mention which OEM made your computer. Your drive is mechanically the same as a Samsung SH-S203B, but many of the computer manufacturers use their own, proprietary firmware for the drives that they use. It is therefore, best to get new firmware from them, unless you want to go to the trouble of crossflashing to Samsung firmware, and you don’t seem to be too enthused about that.

Tell us the maker of your computer, (Dell, HP, Emachines, etc…whichever one it is) and give us the exact model number of the computer. We can find the correct firmware at the OEM site with that information.

Changing to RPC1 firmware is only necessary if you plan on playing commercially made dvds that were intended for countries outside your own country’s region.

Switching to Samsung firmware can have benefits, but I am not the person to speak to about this. I have some knowledge on firmware and drives, but my specialty in these forums tends more to video encoding, dvd decryption and blu ray. You should speak with [B]mciahel [/B], one of our moderators. The benefits of crossflashing may be so small as to be not worth the trouble however. You should try the latest firmware from your OEM first.

Is there a particular problem that you are trying to solve by updating the firmware?

@ Kerry56

Thank you for you very fast reply and your interest in this thread.
Well my PC is actually custom build by me and upgraded from time to time whenever I find the necessary finance or I feel that it really needs it.
At the moment is an
AMD Athlon64 x2 5000+ (overclocked@3.2GB)
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H Motherboard BIOS F10
4 GB DDR2 PC2-6400
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5
400 GB SATA2 HDD Samsung HD400LJ
500 GB SATA2 HDD Seagate ST3500620AS
nothing worth mentioning about the case,PSU or cooling…
And obviously the mentioned optical drive, bought brand new on a computer fair in Birmingham; UK. So I do not know where it has been brought from.
If any improvement possible in any way, to be honest, I’m looking for the overburn feature as my HDD’s are nearly full and I planned to start moving some stuff do DVD’s. Mostly Dual Layers, but not necessary. Most of it it’s data, so I’m not interested in Quality video burning or DVD-Rom Booktype, etc…
For some reason I did not manage to squeeze any extra space with nero 9, but I agree that I don’t know if it’s the best software for overburning, and the media used is cheap. But then again I’m only looking for improvements on what I have instead of upgrades in drive or media.
By the way the media is:
Aone Plus Double Layer Gold Edition and
RiDisc Lightscribe Media
(I didn’t find any codes on the cases or anything else to mention)
I would’nt mind crossflashing, or anything else for that matter as long as someone is willing to describe the procedure and the software involved, and probably most of all where can i get the firmwares from.
But anyway thanks again.

@[B]cristi_szd[/B]: Why do you come to a forum, try to insult everyone else already there, and then expect people to give you easily digestible spoon-fed help instead of appreciating any help they can offer?

People here (and at other forums) are not your personal unpaid staff, you know.

If you improve your attitude, it will also make people more interested in helping you out. :wink:

I don’t know anything about your drive by the way.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2523960]@[B]cristi_szd[/B]: Why do you come to a forum, try to insult everyone else already there, and then expect people to give you easily digestible spoon-fed help instead of appreciating any help they can offer?

If you improve your attitude, it will also make people more interested in helping you out. :wink:

I don’t know anything about your drive by the way.[/QUOTE]

:clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :bow:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2523960]@[B]cristi_szd[/B]: Why do you come to a forum, try to insult everyone else already there, and then expect people to give you easily digestible spoon-fed help instead of appreciating any help they can offer?

[/QUOTE]

I believe a :clap: for Kerry56 is definitely deserved with his helpful and kind response to a question not so friendly asked.

I don’t know anything about your drive by the way.[/QUOTE

[QUOTE=BussyB;2523967]I believe a :clap: for Kerry56 is definitely deserved with his helpful and kind response to a question not so friendly asked.[/QUOTE]

Very true. :clap::clap::clap:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=BussyB;2523967]I believe a :clap: for Kerry56 is definitely deserved with his helpful and kind response to a question not so friendly asked.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, 110%, agreed. :iagree: (:clap: )

…or mods can show some backbone and ban?
//Danne

[QUOTE=cristi_szd;2523939]If any improvement possible in any way, to be honest, I’m looking for the overburn feature as my HDD’s are nearly full and I planned to start moving some stuff do DVD’s.[/QUOTE] Very few drives support overburning to DVD media (burning more data than officially supported) and your drive isn’t one of them as far as I know, regardless of firmware.

Overburning, when possible, also uses the most fragile part of the disc most likely to become unreadable, and some drives cannot read overburned DVDs very well.

So I strongly suggest you forget about overburning. In fact you may consider underburning and only putting around 4 GB of data on your single layer DVDs.

If you actually mean overspeeding (burning at higher than officially supported speed of media) instead of overburning, that is supported by some drives with some DVD media, but it can increase the risk of getting bad burns, so I wouldn’t generally recommend it for archiving data.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2524112]…or mods can show some backbone and ban?
//Danne[/QUOTE]

It’s the easiest thing in the world for me to sinbin or ban a user but that’s not something I enjoy doing and I only do it when it’s entirely appropriate.

The fact that we choose to manage users here and try to give them a reasonable degree of leeway in my view demonstrates measured restraint and our commitment to the community here that is MyCE.

That’s a position of strength in my opinion and Kerry is very definitely more than capable of making his own judgement calls in that regard. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

@cristi_szd
Overburning is definitely not a good idea, and the media you are using would not be good candidates for this in my opinion. Therefore, a new firmware will not help you in your endeavor. I suggest you invest in some Verbatim brand +R DL (double layer) disks if you need more room per disk.

If you still wish to try some new firmware, I am at a loss on where to direct you. The firmware you have now seems to be found on HP edition TS-H653N drives, but I cannot be certain of that. You can start a thread in the Samsung subforum asking for instructions on crossflashing a TS-H653N to a Samsung SH-S203B. I’m not sure if [B]mciahel[/B] will find this one here in the Newbies or not. You might want to be a bit more diplomatic in your preamble in a new thread. :slight_smile:

@DiiZzY
No one has committed any offenses in this thread that would warrant a ban. Though you have come the closest.

You mentioned that you have nearly a TB of HDD. If you are planning on transferring most of that to discs…then you have a hellava lot of work to do.

I´d skip the idea altogether, and get another drive…copy everything over to it and put it away somewhere safe. Problem solved in your sleep even :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=deanimator;2524274]You mentioned that you have nearly a TB of HDD. If you are planning on transferring most of that to discs…then you have a hellava lot of work to do.

I´d skip the idea altogether, and get another drive…copy everything over to it and put it away somewhere safe. Problem solved in your sleep even :p[/QUOTE]
It’d probably be cheaper :iagree:
And save alot of time :slight_smile:

About $0.073au for 1GB of HDD space - for a 1.5TB HDD …
About $0.121au for 1GB of DVDR spave - for 4.3GB single layer DVD’s … and that’s assuming you fill those DvDR’s to 100% … in reality, you lose maybe 200-300MB’s on every DVD … so it works out about 10% more expensive than the above.

Needless to say, a new HDD is almost 1/2 the price of DVD’s for the same capacity, and much faster.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2524152]@DiiZzY
No one has committed any offenses in this thread that would warrant a ban. Though you have come the closest.[/QUOTE]

Yo Kerry-

:clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :bow:

[QUOTE=cristi_szd;2523925]Hi,[/quote] Hi

I am an amator, or a beginner, or just a regular pc user looking to get the best out of his machine (so no, I am not a “newbie”:Z)
Noted, you’re not a newbie.

. And like any other person new into a certain domain

Didn’t we just concluded you were not a newbie?

, I’ve read the advice and tips given for “newbies”:Z (what a stupid word)
I don’t know what would suit the term then? Layman?

like: “check for existing threads to help avoiding answering the same question multiple times”,read the FAQ section, bla, bla, bla… Yes, it’s stupid!!! Very! Because for the last 4 (four) hours I am reading threads where all sort of smart-asses are posting links to other threads
The main problem here is that your question is not a new question. It has been answered multiple times by multiple people. One solution to solve this frustration of continously asking and answering the same question over and over again is to use a Frequently Asked Questions section.

If a FAQ frustrates you and you would like direct support, i would suggest calling a helpdesk, but not an internet forum where people give free advice.

I own a TSST TS-H653N and I was trying to find out the latest firmware for it and what are the improvements compared to the previous one if there is any.
Do you know the current specifications of your TSST then?

Or any other way of improving my optical drive.
What kind of improvement would you like?

Instead, I only got people pouring numbers, series, verions, models, all piled up into threads with tons of links to related software.Then “patchers”,“freaks”,“moderators”,“administrators”, and so on arguing which one of them is actually right.:doh:

Ah yes. Because there are several solutions to different questions. I think that your question was a bit vague in the least “I would like to improve!”.

Think of it as a car. You would like to improve your car? But what part of your car would you like to have improved? This question could give different answers, like engine, doors, tires, and so on.

As you might not be aware; Certain things cannot be improved. To give an absurd example: Your car will never be able to fly to the moon, no matter how hard you try and improve your car.

What I got from there was that TS-H653N is the same with SH-S203B, but no, they are not same 'cause one is a retail and one is OEM, so you can crossflash them with Dell firmware, but don’t do it 'cause it’s crap and it will only produce coasters so you’d better use TSDN,but wait!, no! use the MCSE, and then you have to patch it, using the RPC2, or better stick with RPC1, otherwise it will change the region, and after that find the media codes and change them and crossflash it again with a Mercedes to transform it into a nuclear submarine capable to fly and make sausages, able to compete in a crawling world championship, and belive me I can continue like this forever.
See my answer slightly above.

The idea is to let everybody ask their questions and try to assume that they are not “cdfreaks” (otherwise they would not be asking anything)
Your assumption of how people should operate does not justify that people will actually work for you in this way.

and provide step by step solutions. Is that too complicated for such technical people writing answers around these forums?
Actually yes it is. As explained before, this is a free forum. This is not a professional helpdesk with procedures and ISO certifications. We could discuss pricing of course. My time is valuable, so make me a good offer.

Do you really have to be that cocky and post stupid comments like “read the FAQ, you’ll get your answer there”, when in fact there is no straight answer there unless it’s being read by one of you?
Actually, yes we do. We are humans, not robots. Even the fact that we work with computers does not render us emotionless. We can cry and scream.

So if there is any new members reading this, please go ahead and post your questions right away, and ignore the “smart” advice coming from ignorants sending you to other threads where your problem has already been solved. You’ll end up reading endless arguments about stuff more technical than you want to know. And more confusion instead of solutions ofcourse.
Would you happen to know the ultimate single answer for solving different problems on different models of hardware?

In the end, I would still like to find out what is the latest firmware for TSST TS-H653N, where to get it, how to use it, or even if it’s about crossflashing or any other thing that could make my drive better.

What would you like to make better about your drive? Could you please explain what your purpose is of this question? See also my example about a car slightly above.

Regarding overburning: Yes, it is technically possible. But it is highly unstable and will require top level media to do so. My conclusion there is: Do not do it. It is not worth the time and trouble.

:iagree: Very good answers there Mr. B.

Gee, and here I was all set to disagree with (cristi_szd), but already you show yourselves to be exactly the arrogant self righteous asses he said you were. I see you guys do this over and over to people who ask questions here, and this is why I actually ask for help elsewhere, and come here for news only