Study: Quantity of new music not affected by file-sharing & piracy

vbimport

Study: Quantity of new music not affected by file-sharing & piracy.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/03/u6uLjB.jpg[/newsimage]Since Napster took the internet by storm mere months before the world discovered the Y2K bug was nothing to fear, online music sharing has outgrown its enthusiast beginnings and blossomed into a mainstream business. No longer relegated to the hard drives of impoverished college students and CD burners, legal applications embracing the technology - while maintaining a price structure - sprung up. Even Napster, formerly a liability to the RIAA and one Metallica itself tackled head on, ended up walking the straight and narrow: the once-free service is now owned by Best Buy and offers paid subscriptions plans. Has the creation of Napster, and all the file-sharing sites spawned since, directly impacted the creation of new music by new artists?

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/study-quantity-of-new-music-not-affected-by-file-sharing-piracy-42155/](http://www.myce.com/news/study-quantity-of-new-music-not-affected-by-file-sharing-piracy-42155/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I wonder if it has an effect on the quality of music, because that does seem to be on the decline. I actually believe that there is more money for the record companies in low quality music, because it has a short shelf life and they don’t have to pay the artist much.

The music industry is already completely ready to accept the new “indie” business model. Each company already has some indie label (if not they are pretty much screwed and stupid).

Of course it has no effect on current music. Current music is usually thought of as digitized rap or pop music. 90% of “Musicians” would get booed off stage if people actually heard them sing without all the digitized voice overs. People want the old school music, where you were in touch with the artists feelings and passions. I don’t have feeling about smackin my ho, gangbangin my enemies ho, or any other crap that spews from hatred and stupidity. I believe Rush had it correct over 20 plus years ago,

"The mess and the magic
Triumphant and tragic
A mechanized world out of hand

Computerized clinic
For superior cynics
Who dance to a synthetic band

In their own image
Their world is fashioned
No wonder they don’t understand."

I believe that sums it up better than I could, and it was written ages ago.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: The vast majority of artists get into the music business not to make money, but because they want people to hear their music.

As for why there are more artists, that is simply because it is becoming easier and cheaper to get into the business and produce/record your own music.

[QUOTE=trust2112;2582373]Of course it has no effect on current music. Current music is usually thought of as digitized rap or pop music.ago.[/QUOTE]

Do you perhaps mean Auto Tune songs ? :slight_smile: