Student fined $27K for file-sharing music

vbimport

Student fined $27K for file-sharing music.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/03/84FahB.png[/newsimage]The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has won a $27,750 settlement against a university student who reportedly downloaded and shared 37 copyrighted songs when she was in high school.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/student-fined-27k-for-file-sharing-music-26605/](http://www.myce.com/news/student-fined-27k-for-file-sharing-music-26605/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

[QUOTE=Randomus;2498136] a university student who reportedly downloaded and shared 37 copyrighted songs when she was in high school.[/QUOTE]

What kinda law system do we have now? It took them this long this is a mockery of our laws as of right now they waited til she was in college to go after her? What has the state of our Government come to now? I think the appeal judge should through the book at the RIAA for being stupid and taking this long. And one has to wonder who creates the pirates and the p2p people. Maybe they haven’t taken still a harder look at themselves in the mirror.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2498195]Maybe they haven’t taken still a harder look at themselves in the mirror.[/QUOTE] Maybe their reflections don’t show in the mirror?! :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2498195]It took them this long this is a mockery of our laws as of right now they waited til she was in college to go after her?[/QUOTE]

I’m no RIAA fan, but the appeals process takes a long time and it’s common for court cases to get dragged out for years. College is right after high school, after all.

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2498253]I’m no RIAA fan, but the appeals process takes a long time and it’s common for court cases to get dragged out for years. College is right after high school, after all.[/QUOTE]

I think in this circumstance it will most likely on appeal get tossed out by the judge and the judge would most likely say why don’t you go after China whom does even more pirating>??? :cop:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2498196]Maybe their reflections don’t show in the mirror?! :p[/QUOTE]

yeah, the vampires must be really leeching aren’t they :Z :iagree:

Seems like the desperate attempt at maintaining power through fear. Usually employed by those who have little power left. Soon we’ll be able to wave goodbye to the RIAA, and I can only hope they take the MPAA with them.

[QUOTE=robetler;2498293]Seems like the desperate attempt at maintaining power through fear. Usually employed by those who have little power left. Soon we’ll be able to wave goodbye to the RIAA, and I can only hope they take the MPAA with them.[/QUOTE]

They the RIAA and MPAA sleep in the same bed…so both will take down each other…and blame others… funny :bigsmile: :Z

The report is odd. It states that the copyright disclaimer is on the CDs but if she downloaded the tracks from the net then she would have never seen them. Copyright disclaimers are not normally part of file tags.

Good ol’ RIAA…can’t nail the people with terrabytes of music they’re illegally file sharing, so smack that defendant with the few dozen songs around. That’ll show 'em! They have to put an end to this, people are losing money to these criminals!

Yeah, it shouldn’t matter the number of songs, or who the person was…they broke the law. But when you hear how the RIAA is losing billions (they aren’t) because people are ‘stealing’ their product, but then they go after the thief who stole a penny’s worth (relatively), how can you even care? It really makes you root for the ‘bad’ guy or gal.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2498195]I think the appeal judge should through the book at the RIAA for being stupid [/QUOTE]

‘through’ ?

Now, who’s being stupid?

[QUOTE=mikeeve;2498828]‘through’ ?

Now, who’s being stupid?[/QUOTE]

Excuse me a spelling error and you got a cow?? If you unable to understand what is trying to be conveyed and can only rant about grammer then this isn’t the forum for you I’m sorry to say.

The RIAA appears to be the U.S. version of the K.G.B. or the Gestapo.

Grammer? Coolcolor, thanks for some entertaining [mis]use of the English language, the best I’ve seen in ages. Please write some more!

:cop:
Guys, could you please stay on topic instead of bashing each other for not posting error-free english?
Please keep in mind that a huge percentage of users do not speak english as their first language. And there are some differences between EN-US and EN-UK.

Thanks.
:cop:

So how about the millions of people who shared when Napster was hot?? Guess having thousands of copyrighted songs doesn’t matter,but have less than 40?? Then you’re really breaking the law…:>)