Stuck Between CCE SP 2.7 and Procoder 3

I’ve been using CCE SP 2.7 for quite some time now, and Ive been quite pleased with the results of my dvd rips. I normally just rip full dvds (sometimes with or without extras), and remove all the trailers, some audio streams, subtitles etc. with dvdremake pro and shrink.

My average compressions are anywhere from 60% and up depending on the length of the movie (have had one with 50% compression also).

Now theres been alot of controversy between CCE SP and Procoder, and everyone has had their own inquiries. From some of the results I have seen with comparisons, at mid to high bitrate levels at 3000-5000 kbps, they look very similar… each have their own unique qualities and sometimes setbacks also.

With lower bitrate levels, I have noticed that Procoder is better at keeping the image sharper, but I havent really run into any problems yet with my bitrate levels and CCE SP as they have never gone under 3000 kbps.

Time is of no concern to me as I just want to produce the best possible backup possible, but if the difference are going to be minimal at such bitrate levels where the naked eye can barely tell a difference (btw, all my movies play on a 37’’ sharp lcd tv), then I’d rather just keep CCE SP. But If there will be marginal differences, then I will start to use Procoder 3.

I’ve seen the huge differences between encoders like CCE, Procoder, TMPGENC and HC blowing DVD Shrink and CLonedvd out of the water…but encoder wise, they all produce relatively beautiful compressions.

Is it worth it to dish out the 500$ for Procoder or should i just stick with CCE SP?

I’m a ProCoder user, and I see no reason for you to go from CCE to ProCoder. I like the results from ProCoder, but I just can’t see the justification.

Heck, if I were just starting out in mpeg2 encoding, there would be no great incentive for anything beyond HCenc.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2224694]I’m a ProCoder user, and I see no reason for you to go from CCE to ProCoder. I like the results from ProCoder, but I just can’t see the justification.

Heck, if I were just starting out in mpeg2 encoding, there would be no great incentive for anything beyond HCenc.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is what i have inquired also. Visually, they both produce near perfect quality backups. I tested my cce encoded version of blood diamond to the original before returning it to the video store, and the only noticeable differences is that the background in some scenes are not as clear as the original, but are still of high quality. Nothing to big to complain about, nor will my viewers care/notice either.

I do like HC, but it does take a bit longer to encode, so i dont really use it that much. But even the quality of that is superb.

I guess there really is no justification for me to acquire procoder then…

I tested my cce encoded version of blood diamond to the original before returning it to the video store

Stavs16, we don’t condone copying rentals, so please read the rules of the forum regarding copyright protected material here.