‘Stubborn Windows 7 users could cause next XP-style support crisis’

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: ‘Stubborn Windows 7 users could cause next XP-style support crisis’[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2014/12/myce-windows-7-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Stubborn Windows 7 users who don’t want to upgrade to Windows 10 could cause the next “XP-style support crisis”, according to technology journalist and Microsoft watcher Ed Bott. Microsoft will no longer release security updates for Windows 7 from 2020 but the majority of computer is still running the OS.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/stubborn-windows-7-users-cause-next-xp-style-support-crisis-81356/](http://www.myce.com/news/stubborn-windows-7-users-cause-next-xp-style-support-crisis-81356/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Count me among those “stubborn Windows 7 users.” I’ve used Windows 10, and to say I don’t care for it is the understatement of the millennium. I’ll continue to use Win7 Professional on my home PC, and anywhere else I need it, until they pry it from my cold, dead hard drive.

I happen to love Windows 10 Pro and I also like the Edge Browser. I wouldnt go back to Windows 7 if they offered me a computer to put it on.:wink:

Fair enough. To each his own. :wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2787600]I happen to love Windows 10 Pro and I also like the Edge Browser. I wouldnt go back to Windows 7 if they offered me a computer to put it on.;)[/QUOTE]
At this point in time there is no real way to go back to Win7 in that Win10 is here to stay. I go Win10 for better or worse but I’ve taken measure to be the controller.

I’m still hedging my bets by having a dual Windows 10/7 option because 2020 is a long way off. Now if Windows would quit screwing with Windows 7, that might help a lot. I do use Windows 10 mainly, but 7 is still there.

I’ve also got a dual Windows 10/7 arrangement on my main PC using separate SSDs. This is because, although I liked Windows 10, I found it more unstable than Windows 7 on my particular set up. I got far more BSODs on Windows 10 and it often crashed during intensive video encoding tasks. However, after 18 months and the latest updates, I’m now finding Windows 10 much more stable.Â

“most of them are holding on to this aging but still serviceable OS because they understand how to manage it and don’t have to deal with the update headaches of Windows as a Service.”

The second part of the comment is ridiculous. 90%+ of Windows 7 users would probably have no idea about forced updates and what Windows as a service even means. Most people hang onto Windows 7 because it works perfectly well for them and they see no reason to change it for something that could potentially cause them a world of issues.

[QUOTE=SteveJC;2787633]I’ve also got a dual Windows 10/7 arrangement on my main PC using separate SSDs. This is because, although I liked Windows 10, I found it more unstable than Windows 7 on my particular set up. I got far more BSODs on Windows 10 and it often crashed during intensive video encoding tasks. However, after 18 months and the latest updates, I’m now finding Windows 10 much more stable. [/QUOTE]
That’s the problem Windows 10 will have to overcome at times it seems to break more then it fixes. Only after 2020 will users finally decide and til then Microsoft has alot of PR fixes it needs to do.

Some of us Win7 users have equipment that runs just fine but is unable to upgrade to Win10. Light gaming/web surfing does not need to be a Lamborghini when an 8 year old Toyota is just fine. My issue is the 7 year old MB/Phenom II/Radeon 5770 X-fire system is no longer top of the line. Just started having issues with IE, so we moved to Chrome, problem solved. Until parts start to fail, why would I spend the $$ to upgrade.

[QUOTE=ErictheUnready;2787649]Some of us Win7 users have equipment that runs just fine but is unable to upgrade to Win10. Light gaming/web surfing does not need to be a Lamborghini when an 8 year old Toyota is just fine. My issue is the 7 year old MB/Phenom II/Radeon 5770 X-fire system is no longer top of the line. Just started having issues with IE, so we moved to Chrome, problem solved. Until parts start to fail, why would I spend the $$ to upgrade.[/QUOTE]
My system build is from 2009 and fresh formatted Windows 10 Pro x64 and so far all things are going well. I haven’t really tested dx12 to see the game play so far. Mine is i5-4690K @4.2ghz 16g RAM and hasn’t broken so far but I waited to go Win10x64 Pro.

If Microsoft would make their data snooping completely optional that I would move to Win10 not until.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2787680]My system build is from 2009 and fresh formatted Windows 10 Pro x64 and so far all things are going well. I haven’t really tested dx12 to see the game play so far. Mine is i5-4690K @4.2ghz 16g RAM and hasn’t broken so far but I waited to go Win10x64 Pro.[/QUOTE]

How can your build be from 2009 if your CPU and motherboard are from 2013/2014??

good luck! lol. If you couldn’t get them to switch for free, good luck getting them to pay for it.

All kidding aside. Win10 isn’t a bad os. All MS needs to do is:

1. Turn off Telemetry and other features that log customer data
  2. Stop doing annual updates that reinstall the OS and break things.

That’s it.  Maybe make it optional to disable the windows store, bring back a non-tiled start menu, and bring back full aero support.

I used win10 it’s pretty solid… MS just pushed the spying stuff a bit too far and it’s cause a revolt amongst a large part of their userbase.

I’ll continue my protest against Windows 10… My blood and sweat went into building my recent PC Windows 7 Pro runs just fine. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Zod;2787742]good luck! lol. If you couldn’t get them to switch for free, good luck getting them to pay for it.[/QUOTE]They won’t have much of a choice after 2020.

[QUOTE=Zod;2787742]1) Turn off Telemetry and other features that log customer data
2) Stop doing annual updates that reinstall the OS and break things.[/QUOTE]Just use the hosts edit to kill off telemetry sites and reinstalling O/S does fix alot of problems related to corrupted O/S sys files.

[QUOTE=Zod;2787742]Maybe make it optional to disable the windows store, bring back a non-tiled start menu, and bring back full aero support.[/QUOTE]Just look at the net and you’ll find how to remove tiles and shrink it to look like Windows 7 start menu. I am did that and doing just fine.

[QUOTE=Zod;2787742]I used win10 it’s pretty solid… MS just pushed the spying stuff a bit too far and it’s cause a revolt amongst a large part of their userbase.[/QUOTE]Well that MS for you. But I use the hosts edit to block telemetry to better protect my system.

[QUOTE=AaronZ26593;2787761]I’ll continue my protest against Windows 10… My blood and sweat went into building my recent PC Windows 7 Pro runs just fine. :)[/QUOTE]You can do that until 2020 rolls around and then what will you do become a botnet?

I still use Windows Media Center, so Win 7 until death!

I hated windows 10 and all it spying until I found a program that turn off all the spying and also got rid of edge. I still have windows 7 on most of my computers but my main one is windows 10 that now works more like windows 7

While I understand the features can be turned off I’ve heard people complain those features become re-enabled if Microsoft does indeed make more of an effort to fix the spying part of the OS and allow more user control I’ll upgrade until they can keep it. :slight_smile: lol