Struggling to set up a wifi network in my home cant seem to do it

vbimport

I am struggling to set up a wifi network in my home, I have never done it before. I have the apple airport extreme & I am trying to set it up with my 7 year old PC with a wired DSL modem in the kitchen. I determined & am fairly sure my PC does not have wifi built in. So I bought a USB adapter, I tried to follow the instructions on installing the drivers for the adapter. I installed the drivers, & plugged it in to the usb cable it came with. I then plugged in the apple airport extreme, & I am getting a blinking amber light. When I try to connect to the internet, the pages load very slowly & cannot load. So I unplugged the usb adapter, & I can get the internet this way. I have tried to open airport utility, but I cannot even get through the first steps without getting an error message.

The utility seems to find the apple device when I connect the usb adapter. It scans the airport & then I get a message that reads;

An error occurred while trying to access the apple wireless device. Make sure your network connection is valid & try again.

error -4

so I cannot set up the device, it is sitting on top of the pc tower with a blinking amber light.

my DSL modem has 1 yellow Ethernet cable & 1 grey DSL phone line where it plugs into the back of a phone in the kitchen. To set up the apple router, I unplugged the yellow cable that goes into the DSL modem from the back of the pc & plugged it into the corresponding port on the apple router. I then plugged another grey cat5 network cable into the computer & to another of the ports on the apple router.

I tried out using my ipod touch in different rooms, & it seemed to work & connect to the internet. But I had trouble connecting to the internet at the pc in the kitchen.

the usb adapter when plugged in shows it with a good signal strength, with the apple airport listed in the tray icons at the bottom of my computer screen.

I am a total newbie to wif & feel very confused & do not know what I am doing. i want to be able to use the internet with more than 1 computer in my home.

is there any way to keep a router on to connect to the internet with another computer, while turning off the computer in the kitchen?

My pc is a dell with windows xp home edition service pack 2. I do not want to have to update to service pack 3, the last time I did, it killed my hard drive, I had to do a complete reinstall of the computer & buy a new hard drive.

Does your connection have PPPoE or any other kind of login?
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2514765]Does your connection have PPPoE or any other kind of login?
//Danne[/QUOTE]

I don’t know, I don’t know what that is, how would I find out? & what do I do about it?

I have at & t DSL service, when my family first got it, it came with a black DSL router a booklet & a cd

According to Google it does, although to be sure ask your provider.
If that’s the case you need to check that your modem is in bridge mode and not in router mode otherwise you’ll end up having interesting issues with your network / internet connection and tell your Apple Airport Extreme that your connection uses PPPoE and feed it with your account settings.
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2514912]According to Google it does, although to be sure ask your provider.
If that’s the case you need to check that your modem is in bridge mode and not in router mode otherwise you’ll end up having interesting issues with your network / internet connection and tell your Apple Airport Extreme that your connection uses PPPoE and feed it with your account settings.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

How do I check & get the router in the right mode? In my simple understanding then, the dsl modem just needs to be a “bridge” between it and the apple router, it does not need to be in router mode, because the apple airport is already doing this?

I looked on the bottom of the dsl modem & it has a number to go online for advanced configuration.

the modem is a speedstream 5100 ADSL Ethernet modem

it is wierd, right now, I can connect fine to the internet, the airport is blinking amber all the time, & I felt it it is quite warm, is this normal? & my ipod touch now has wifi acess in my house.

Connect a computer directly to the modem, what IP-address do you get?
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2514981]Connect a computer directly to the modem, what IP-address do you get?
//Danne[/QUOTE]

I went into the modem settings at it’s IP address, & tried setting it to bridge mode, & it was a total disaster, after that I lost all connectivity to the internet, even with the apple router connected. I could not get back into the interface of the modem to put it back into it’s previous mode for the internet which I think was PPoE. I had to call at & t tech support & have the modem reset, then renter the IP address, to finally get it working again.

It caused a huge family argument, so I think I am going to give up on the apple router, I goggled it with at & t DSL modems, & I think they are just not compatable

I am not sure if my pc is really capable of having wifi.

can one get wifi service without a router?

heh, well…
If you do have PPPoE (which I guess) you need to obtain details from your ISP regarding login and apply them to your Airport Extreme and it’ll work fine.
http://www.plugandshare.att.com/plugandshareui/support/faq_view.cfm?FAQID=23283
This pretty much tells you what I’ve been telling you.
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2514765]Does your connection have PPPoE or any other kind of login?
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Right on, PPPoE when using T-DSL via Telekom/T-COM.

[QUOTE=Sossity;2515138]I went into the modem settings at it’s IP address, & tried setting it to bridge mode, & it was a total disaster, after that I lost all connectivity to the internet, even with the apple router connected. I could not get back into the interface of the modem to put it back into it’s previous mode for the internet which I think was PPoE. I had to call at & t tech support & have the modem reset, then renter the IP address, to finally get it working again.

It caused a huge family argument, so I think I am going to give up on the apple router, I goggled it with at & t DSL modems, & I think they are just not compatable

I am not sure if my pc is really capable of having wifi.

[B]can one get wifi service without a router?[/B][/QUOTE]

It seems as you would not know what a “router” is made for…
WiFi refers to WLAN in general.