Streaming DVB-S over LAN network with Skystar2 card

vbimport

I’ve managed to do this on my home network using Alt-DVB .(FREEWARE) … if anyone is interested I could post up instructions here?

This is how much RAM - CPU usage from the SERVER PC with the Skystar2 card running

This is how much RAM - CPU usage on the CLIENT PC (laptop) which has no Skystar 2 installed

Can you give a set of instructions on this?

Okay you will need to use an older build to get this to work successfully ie

you can use your existing Skystar 2 config files or just download them again plus this NETWORK file

Website is here:

h**p://www.altdvb.ro/

Now just setup as usual … update your transponder list + add your SoftCAM emulator + SoftCAM etc and just make sure that it’s working 100%.

[B]
NOW TO STREAM[/B]

In the folder (unzip)

[B]AltDVB_Intf_Network_B126[/B]

Follow these instructions:

1. On computer “A” (server):
    Create a base directory and copy there AltSRV.exe and “\Devices” subdir
    from AltDvb (SKYSTAR2 CONFIG FILES)

Example (dir. listing):
    C:\AltServer\Devices\Dev_SkyStar2.cfg
    C:\AltServer\Devices\Dev_SkyStar2.int
    C:\AltServer\AltSRV.exe

… now you can run AltSrv.exe , select “DVB Hardware” and press [Start]

Now you need to CREATE the CLIENT for the server to add to other PC’s on your network.

1. On computer “B” (client):
    Goto AltDvb directory and edit "\Devices\Dev_NetClient.cfg"
    Write here IP address of computer A (server)
    …now start AltDvb and select “Dev_NetClient” interface !
    [B]
    Warning: Do not use other DVB application while server is started ![/B]

Precompiled here (sorry it will have my FAV list from 19e):

h**p://www.mediafire.com/?7yjgnnzmnmm

Unzip and then navigate to this folder and enter your own PC’s IP address

Right so far so good (hopefully) :slight_smile:

To test it out, firstly start Alt-DVB v2.0 on SERVER and just pick a channel and ensure it clears.

Close the program down and then go to the folder

c:\AltDVBserver

and click on the EXE file and you should have a dialog box with your card listed and notice a new icon in your desktop tray

Go to the 2nd PC which is going to be the CLIENT … (remember to update your SoftCAM + Plugins when necessary)

REMEMBER on the SERVER PC all you need is the SERVER ICON listed … all your CLIENTS need to have ALTDVB open to view.

Hey chrome307,

have you tried with AltDVB 2.2 and a newer ProgDVB v5 too?

Hi Chrome :slight_smile:

why not using the streaming server that is shipped with the Skystar2 and VLC as client?

Michael

Thanks Chrome
What is SoftCam?
Are you using any type of media software and IR remote?

That is something which collides with the forum rules so it will not be discussed here…

I got a problem :

I’m using Technisat Skystar [B]4.4.1.9999[/B] driver and when i run Altserver it didn’t start and i had to use older version of [B]Dev_SkyStar2.int[/B] … but old version didn’t detect my level of signal. what should i do?

[QUOTE=P.I.T.A;1956149]I got a problem :

I’m using Technisat Skystar [B]4.4.1.9999[/B] driver and when i run Altserver it didn’t start and i had to use older version of [B]Dev_SkyStar2.int[/B] … but old version didn’t detect my level of signal. what should i do?[/QUOTE]

Go with the one that works.
“Level of signal” is uselees info with your card, because its not reliable.

I have a TV set-top box, that can take streaming MPEG-2 as input via ethernet and produce S-Video as output, and an incoming DVB-S signal from my parabol.

Is there any cheap dedicated device that can do DVB-S to MPEG-2 conversion (opposed to using a PC with a Skystar 2 card)?

Many thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=anek0601;1960050]I have a TV set-top box, that can take streaming MPEG-2 as input via ethernet and produce S-Video as output, and an incoming DVB-S signal from my parabol.

Is there any cheap dedicated device that can do [B]DVB-S to MPEG-2 conversion[/B] (opposed to using a PC with a Skystar 2 card)?

Many thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

DVB-S content is already mpeg2 (in 90% of all cases). The problem with some channels is the used resolution and bitrate.
Please give more specific info about what you want to achieve.

[quote=chef;1960441]DVB-S content is already mpeg2 (in 90% of all cases). The problem with some channels is the used resolution and bitrate.
Please give more specific info about what you want to achieve.[/quote]

Basically, I want to feed the free Astra channels to all TV sets in my house, where it should be possible to watch different channels at different TV sets simultaneously. I guess that this could be done over IP and wonder what encoding / decoding is needed (if any) and if there are recommendations of devices that perform the requisite encoding / decoding (I have IP via both WLAN and EoP - Ethernet over Powerline - at home)?

Another option (?) might be to send the parabol signal through a splitter, that has an outgoing cable for each TV set. This seems a little awkward since I would then need to clutter my house with coaxial cables.

[QUOTE=anek0601;1960929]Basically, I want to feed the free Astra channels to all TV sets in my house, where it should be possible to watch different channels at different TV sets simultaneously. I guess that this could be done over IP and wonder what encoding / decoding is needed (if any) and if there are recommendations of devices that perform the requisite encoding / decoding (I have IP via both WLAN and EoP - Ethernet over Powerline - at home)?

Another option (?) might be to send the parabol signal through a splitter, that has an outgoing cable for each TV set. This seems a little awkward since I would then need to clutter my house with coaxial cables.[/QUOTE]

Nope, that cannot work!
You would REQUIRE one tuner/input for any of the receivers!
Forget about splitters/switches if youhave only a Single LNB!
You need at least Twin, Quattro or Quad LNBs, for Twin & Quattro you MUST use (Multi)switches!

[quote=chef;1961126]Nope, that cannot work!
You would REQUIRE one tuner/input for any of the receivers!
Forget about splitters/switches if youhave only a Single LNB!
You need at least Twin, Quattro or Quad LNBs, for Twin & Quattro you MUST use (Multi)switches![/quote]

OK, so one solution is to replace my current Single LNB with a multi-LNB that I assume would connect to each TV set through a dedicated coaxial cable and a dedicated tuner (one cable and one tuner per TV set). Buying a few more tuners is OK while equipping my house with a number of dedicated coaxial cables is challenging. There is no way I could transmit the DVB-S signal through the existing WLAN or EoP and still be able to watch different Astra channels on different TV sets in the house?

Maybe you could, by using a DVB-S Receiver like the Dreambox 7020, 7025 and similar.
They have the ability to stream the content via Ethernet, and so WLAN should be also possible with suitable extra hardware. :wink:

Hi…

Is skystar 2 can help to stream the “Raw LNB Signal” ?

thanks.

[QUOTE=atGraphy;2520672]
Is skystar 2 can help to stream the “Raw LNB Signal” ?
[/QUOTE]Technisat has lots of documentation on their website, so you might have a closer look at it.

Michael