Streaming Blu-Ray to PS3?

vbimport

Hi there,

I’m looking to back up my newly bought Blu-Rays and I am hoping if some of you would be willing to share their experiences about streaming Blu-Ray content from a PC drive to PS3 over a network. My PS3 is updated with the latest firmware 2.42.

I still need to purchase AnyDVD HD and at least a Blu-Ray Rom for my comp but before I do I would like to know whether or not it’s possible or even worth the trouble at this point in time. Why spend the money when there is too many headaches and not so perfect results. Right? Here is the info that I got so far.

AnyDVD HD seems to be the best solution for backing BDs onto Harddrive but only as a whole.
A TsRemux utility can be used to dump all the content you’re not interested in and compile it back into a mt2s.
A Twonky utility can be used to then stream the finished movie via network onto a PS3.

Now here are some things that I’m still not clear on and kind of have a hard time finding definite answers.

-Can a direct BD structure ouput from AnyDVD HD be played on a PS3 without Remuxing either by streaming or USB connected drive or the PS3 internal drive? (In theory it should it does support Blu-Ray disks after all) Also will it play like the original disk with chapters, switchable audio streams and subtitles, menus, etc?

-If I use TsRemux and decide to keep two audio streams will they be switchable via the remote on the PS3 or not? Also what about subtitles?

-Streaming with Twonky to PS3 does not work on movies that contain a TrueHD audio tracks. The track needs to be converted to AC3 which can be done with TsRemux. Is this correct? Is that even an issue with the latest firmware?

• PS3 is very picky about the codecs it plays and so VC-1 encoded movies will not play on a PS3. Again is this still the case on the latest firmware? If so is there a not too complicated runaround?

-Finally are there other media centres that some of you are using that are much better for playing back-uped Blu-Ray content in it’s full glory that are superior to PS3?

I realize that this is a fairly long post but I’d appreciate any further insight you can give me. Any links to recent resources, anything.

Thanks for reading,
Tom

[quote=tommy2008;2120808]AnyDVD HD seems to be the best solution for backing BDs onto Harddrive but only as a whole.[/quote]yes

A TsRemux utility can be used to dump all the content you’re not interested in and compile it back into a mt2s.

yes

A Twonky utility can be used to then stream the finished movie via network onto a PS3.

Haven’t tried Twonky yet.

-Can a direct BD structure ouput from AnyDVD HD be played on a PS3 without Remuxing either by streaming or USB connected drive or the PS3 internal drive? (In theory it should it does support Blu-Ray disks after all)
You need to burn to DVD, BD-R or BD-RE (including dual layers DVD and BD) if you want to play the entire movie with chapters etc. Otherwise if you play ts or m2ts you won’t get any menu, chapters etc.

Also will it play like the original disk with chapters, switchable audio streams and subtitles, menus, etc?

if you burn to a media. Read above.

-If I use TsRemux and decide to keep two audio streams will they be switchable via the remote on the PS3 or not? Also what about subtitles?

With the latest tsremux, yes you can switch audio and subtitles.

-Streaming with Twonky to PS3 does not work on movies that contain a TrueHD audio tracks. The track needs to be converted to AC3 which can be done with TsRemux. Is this correct? Is that even an issue with the latest firmware?

I don’t know the answer, sorry. Never try Twonky

• PS3 is very picky about the codecs it plays and so VC-1 encoded movies will not play on a PS3. Again is this still the case on the latest firmware? If so is there a not too complicated runaround?

Sorry don’t know the answer

-Finally are there other media centres that some of you are using that are much better for playing back-uped Blu-Ray content in it’s full glory that are superior to PS3?

Tried one other media center (mvix) but I like PS3 better.