Strategy swapping (outdated!)

vbimport

One way to narrow this down would be to force your drive to use the R02 write strat for your R01 disc… using a R01@R02 strat swap… if the strat produces a working disc, then we’ll have a better idea of where the problem is (missing firmware write strategy information).
Can you actually swap write strategies on LiteOns? I’d like to know since I’ve got some Prodisc R02s that my LiteOn 851S burns relatively well at 4x (until I got 4 coasters in a row for some reason) but gives read errors on 6x burns and coasters on 8x burns. I bit the bullet and got a NEC 2500A & Herrie’s firmware and I get even better results on those Prodiscs at 8x. IIRC, Herrie uses the Prodisc R03 strategy on the R02.

BTW, here’s a scan of a Prodisc R02 +R 4x burned at 8x in a NEC 2500A:

Strat swaps require manual editing of the firmware. I can post instructions if people really want it. I might add support for it in OP in the future if there is enough demand for it…

I’m actually going to be getting a shipment of Prodisc R02s next week, and I’m planning on testing how they burn at 8x with and without strat swapping…

I have a general idea, but I’d certainly like to see your instructions. You’re explaining things very well.

I might add support for it in OP in the future if there is enough demand for it…
That’s even better! I’m sure Liteon owners will appreciate this. Media manufacturers probably too, as we’ll burn lots of discs playing with a new toy ;-))

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. Just registered. I’m Gabriele from Italy, nice to meet you. :slight_smile:

Strat swaps require manual editing of the firmware. I can post instructions if people really want it.

Yes please, I’m really interested in firmware editing. I hope there will be lot of demands. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes I’d like to know how to work them out.

Please let us know!

Hi grabiele I’m Italian too.

Count me in on the stategy swap instructions and/or Omnipatcher upgrade.

BTW, I’m pretty pleased with the Prodisc R02 printables. Great matte print quality and with the NEC, great 8x burns.

This post is outdated.

Please refer to the new OmniPatcher tool for a MUCH better (and much safer) way to do things.

Well, it’s actually fairly easy… BUT… if you don’t know what you’re doing or are not comfortable with a hex editor, it might not be a good idea… on the other hand, nothing too bad can happen. In the worst case, the firmware will just be bad and crash the drive, in which case, you’ll use MtkFlash to recover.

Anyway, proceed at your own risk!

1/ Open a .BIN version of the firmware with a Hex editor.

2/ Jump to the 13th bank (starting at address 0xC0000), as there is where the +R information are stored. On the 1S and 2S drives, -R is buried deep within the 14th bank (which starts at address 0xD0000). On the 3S drives, -R is located near the top of the 10th bank (starting at address 0x90000).

For the sake of clarity, I will now make up some terminology… Now, if you want to try a Prodisc R02@R03, where you have the R02 disc use a R03 strategy, then the R02 strat is the “guest” strat and R03 is the “host” strat.

3/ Find the guest strat and make a note of its ID. For +R, this is 24 bytes long (8 bytes for MID, 3 bytes for TID, 1 byte for revision, and then doubled because everything is then buffered by 0x00 bytes). For -R, this is 13 bytes (12 bytes for the media code, and 1 byte, usually 0x50 or 0x52, which is kind of a type ID, I think). You may find it helpful to copy this. But it’s usually not necessary, as oftentimes, the guest code is identical to the host code except for just 1 or 2 bytes, in which case, it’d be easier to just remember what those different bytes are. :wink:

4/ Now, find the host code. And replace it with the guest code. In many cases, this is really easy. In the case of Prodisc R02@R03, this involves flipping just one byte (changing the “3” to a “2”). In the case of Ricoh R01@R02, this involves flipping only two bytes (one byte to change “R02” to “R01” and one byte to flip the revision code from 0x03 to 0x02… the Prodiscs have the same revision code, which is why the 1-byte TID change was all that was needed). Of course, if you decide to do something crazy like PRODISCR02@Philips081, that could require quite a few more bytes to be changed, which is when copy-and-paste might be nice. :wink:

5/ Now, go back to the guest code and disable it. Do this by renaming it to something else. You could change it to something like ZZZZZZZZZZZ. Or more commonly, you can just rename it to the (now-vacated) host code, which is easier and requires fewer changed bytes. :wink:

6/ Basically, all that has been done was just swap the locations of the host and guest codes in the media table, which will result in their write strats being swapped. The downside is that now that the host code’s strat is being used for the guest code, this messes up your ability to burn real discs of the host code.

7/ One thing to watch out for: a handful of the codes have multiple entries! For example, there are two copies of RICOHJPN/R00/01. If this is the case, all instances of that code must be changed.

So as you can see, it’s actually a pretty simple task, as long as long as you’re comfortable with playing around with your hex editor. :wink:

(and much thanks to ala42 for first posting the media code/strat information in the forums long ago… I learned much for those posts!)

Many thanks! Will give this a shot later on today and report the results.

Well, there’s good news and bad news. I did the Prodisc R02 <-> R03 swap in the GSC2 firmware pretty painlessly. The good news is the R02 is recognized as 8x media and burns at 8x. Here’s the scan from Nero CD/DVD Speed:

and the bad news? btw code can u teach me how u enabled bitsetting in sony’s fw vy05 (for future releases)?

The bad news is that the Prodiscs burns are getting bad past the 3.5 GB point on the disc as evidenced by the scan below. The end of the disc also has multiple read errors when I surface scan the disc in CD/DVD Speed. I’ve started having this problem with a new spindle and would say this is a bad media issue if it weren’t for the fact that my new NEC 2500A has spit out 10 excellent 8x burns so far on discs from the same spindle.

Despite that, I think the 8x swap was successful, since the Lite-On has been showing the same problems past the 3.5GB point with 4x burns using the unmodded firmware. BTW, up the 3.5GB point the scan stats from the 851S 8x burn were excellent and in fact equivalent to the NEC’s. In fact, they were a little better than the 4x burn scans.

As much as I like Lite-On drives, I think at this point I’m about to relegate the 851S to ripping, scanning and CD burning.

btw code can u teach me how u enabled bitsetting in sony’s fw vy05 (for future releases)?
I ran the modded firmware through code’s Omnipatcher. I’d presume you could run the Sony firmware through it as well.

Check the stickies at the top of the Lite-On forum - you should find the Omnipatcher thread there with the download location listed in the first post.

Hi

Wetwilly the official sony firmware remove the bitsetting support so code just add it :smiley: . i dont want to bother him for future releases anymore ^^, so thats why im asking.

regards
ron

I have Liteon 812S and US0N
In Herrie changelog I read
“GSC002 @ 6x using 2+4x GSC001 and 6x MCC 01RG20”
I changed write strategy for GSC002 to GSC001 2x and 4x
But what with 6x ?? How can I do that ??
And there’s results :

before

after

The patch to VY05 is over 200 bytes and requires variable and function locations to be collected from all over the firmware to make it work. So when we say “enabled bitsetting”, which sounds simple, we actually mean we added the code to write the booktype to the disc and we added the code to set and report the booktype.

I think you will have to rely on us for future releases. :slight_smile:

I wish I knew how to edit my firmware for my Slimtype 431S. How much time would be involved to do this for someone who knew what they were doing? How much longer for a newb like me who’s had a few programming classes 10 years ago and used a hex editor once for like 5 minutes?

To those who think that randomly editing strings in your firmware makes
you 31337 firmware hackers : you’re just replacing something you have no
clue about by something else you have no clue about, so don’t complain
if you get problems.

I wish I knew how to edit my firmware for my Slimtype 431S. How much time would be involved to do this for someone who knew what they were doing? How much longer for a newb like me who’s had a few programming classes 10 years ago and used a hex editor once for like 5 minutes?
For a simple strategy swap, if you know what you’re doing, it literally takes a minute to find the references to the two media IDs, swap 'em and write the firmware back out to a file. If you don’t know what you’re doing and you’re not familiar with hex I wouldn’t bother trying.

I changed write strategy for GSC002 to GSC001 2x and 4x But what with 6x ?? How can I do that ??
Use code’s Omnipatcher to modify allowed write speeds in the firmware

To those who think that randomly editing strings in your firmware makes
you 31337 firmware hackers : you’re just replacing something you have no
clue about by something else you have no clue about, so don’t complain
if you get problems
Don’t know if that’s directed at me, but the only problem I had was that the both the unmodded 4x and modded 8x Lite-On firmware don’t like my current spindle of Prodisc +R media, and my NEC does. The swap DID work since previously 8x burns (via OP) either coastered or gave horrible Kprobe and surface scan results and the modded firmware at 8x is the equal of the NEC’s burn up to the 3.5GB mark.

Well said.

Don’t play with things you don’t understand, unless you have money to burn.

CDfreaks doesn’t look kindly on people RMA’ing drives which have been hacked by amateurs :slight_smile: as it downs company approval of overclocking, more so than now :wink: and they may actively attempt to prevent overclocking of drives by more permanent methods than firmware prohibition.

Not sure if any of the above comments about randomly editing strings or RMA’s were directed at me, but for the record I wouldn’t try anything unless I was pretty sure I knew what I was doing.

I have a degree in electronics and work in R&D in the plasma cutting industry - no, that doesn’t make me a genius, but I’m not a complete idiot either.

And I would never condone RMAing a drive that I (or anyone else) managed to screw up out of my own ignorance.

I’m here to learn more.