Strange write & read problem with LG4163B

vbimport

Hey guys,

i have LG GSA-4163 with FW A105. So, problems is here :

• I try to burn several discs (Verbatim, Princo, Taiyo Yuden). Every process “completed sucessfuly”. But… When I try to test this discs with “Nero CD-DVD Speed” i see very strange things. Reading speed is very fast, but only until 2Gb. Then, reading speed jump up & down. Process rapidly sloving down and reading totaly stops with “circ unrecovered error” or so on.

Any help?

I noticed you ran Nero CD/DVD Speed’s Benchmark test with a different drive. Try running the same test using the 4163B to read the discs instead and see if you get the same results. If the test using your 4163B as reader give normal results, it might simply be your NEC drive which is at fault. I have a Pioneer drive that sometimes gives me this kind of readings with certain discs, but the same discs read fine on my 4163B.

OK, thanks for advice. I will try this & then post a result. I try test with a different drive, because i think that this is (so call) “best control”. I mean : if different drive read disc, who is writen on LG, that is 100% OK. But, maybe i think wrong? We see soon…

So, this is result… Nothing better, problems is something later…

Media is Verbatim DVD+R 8X

But, this is completely nonsense! Drive who burn disc (only on 2.4x speed!) don’t might to read it???
DISASTER!

It burns Verbatim 8x discs at only 2.4x? Now that is a different thing. You didn’t mention that in your original post so I thought it was only read problems. Your problems are probably with burning not reading the discs then.

Several things can cause this problem. Check that :

1. Your 4163B is not sharing the same IDE cable with a hard disk.
    • If it is connected on an IDE cable with another CD/DVD drive, that is ok.
  2. If the 4163B is connected with another CD/DVD drive, make sure the 4163B is jumpered as master.
  3. DMA is enabled for the 4163B and is set to UDMA2.
  4. Your burst rate is about 23Mb/s
    • Do a burst rate test in Nero CD/DVD test

No, no my friend, you don’t concieve me on wright way. I want to burn on 2.4x, because i think that, in this case, i get high-grade disc. Of course, i try to burn on higher speed, but a result is more badly.
Key problem is :

• whatever disc i burn with this DVD burner on any burning speed - result is poor disc. So poor that same burner don’t might to read it completely.

P.S. It’s hard to believe but only media who, after burning, have a good reading with this LG burner & don’t make a problem is - Princo!

No, no my friend, your burner and disks do not behave like you think they do. Just burn your Verbatim disks at 8x. The write strategies and DVDs are optimized for high speeds, not for 2.4x burning. Verify all the points listed by karangguni, they are quite important for good burns.

I think that the unit is faulty or the media in use is fake… so before returning the unit to warranty (if applicable) try the unit in another PC, then if the burning results fails change the unit.

Just wondering why you would make the 4163B the master on the
IDE channel

:confused: Why wouldn’t you? Works perfectly well here.

Maybe you have right, but… Are you read whole post or just first sentence? I clearly write :
[i][b]Of course, i try to burn on higher speed, but a result is more badly.Key problem is :

• whatever disc i burn with this DVD burner on any burning speed - result is poor disc. So poor that same burner don’t might to read it completely.[/b][/i]

Do you want to say that is quite normal that same drive who burn the disc don’t read it because is burning speed 2.4x? Is that a joke or what?

Maybe this answer “solve” the problem :

I think that the unit is faulty or the media in use is fake… I try five diferent media (Verbatim, Maxell, TDK, Memorex & Princo), so…

P.S. Problems listed by karangguni is basic things. I check all one more time - everything in this context is OK!

Have you tried defragging the hard drive as that is another significant factor.