Strange test results..What gives!

What would cause my 32/12/40 @ 40/12/48 (xsu1) to have lage negative spikes in Nero at around 40x, that drops to around 16x, then to go almost straight up to 48x in just a couple of seconds? The system itself is FSB OC’d to 149 mhz. Memory (512mb Pc2700), is set conservatively and passed memtest for 7 passess. Processor is XP1600 @ 1565 mhz. I can’t figure this out. Mark

well, the firmware you mention is CAV, so that shouldn’t be happening. I would check the cable that you are using. if it has to correct a large amount of data because of interfearance, it will slow down. I would also try different media. It would also help to know if you are copying from another optical drive or from your hard drive.

lage negative spikes in Nero at around 40x, that drops to around 16x, then to go almost

What test are you talking about? What media? Burn or read speeds?

Sorry, the test was CD speed on Nero (latest version). The media used was Unreal Tournament 2003 Disc 1. It does it on others also. The default bus speed for the system is 133mhz OC’d to 149 mhz. The PCI bus is at 37 mhz. The OS is XP corp ver 5.1 . SP1, build 2600. I have 512mb pc 2700 RAM.

I just thought that it was odd that at 40x it dropped off, only to jump back to 48x (CAV). The drive performs great other than this. It even handles MRW (for what it’s worth).

Sorry about the lack of info!

Games generally do not read at full speed, if that’s what you’re checking. Use a plain data CD for testing. Drops in read speed are usually due to errors.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Games generally do not read at full speed, if that’s what you’re checking. Use a plain data CD for testing. Drops in read speed are usually due to errors.

Which incidentally is one of the ways companies copy protect their games.

I guess that this speaks volumes for the Liteon player. If it can read this stuff while overclocked, then I’m happy. I’ll try it tomorrow with non-copyrighted/secureROM free, material to see if it exhibits the same pattern.