Strange Star Wars - Rev of Sith Backup

Using CloneDVD 2.8.5.1 and AnyDVD 5.5.1.1
Just backed up Star Wars III, Revenge of the Sith, US ver.
Did main movie
De-selected 2 angles not wanted
De-selected subtitles
De-selected unwanted audio
Split across 2 disks

• now when playing backup, keep getting Lucas and other names flashing in white above the movie, just outside the wide screen, too distracting to watch! Is this a CloneDVD or AnyDVD issue??
    I searched the forum and could not find anything like this. I never had any problems for years, using both programs!
    Anyone have a suggestion?? Ollie?

RandomKaos

That sounds like it could be the audio commentary playing, as the Episode 1 & 2 DVD’s commentaries had the names of who was talking flash up on the screen, (George Lucas & the special FX guys). Strange it would still pop up if you got rid of that track though.

This is probably a subtitle stream. Disable it while watching.

Tried again, didn’t change any settings
This time the names are gone on both disks!

hmmm…

RandomKaos

Myself, I had to use DVD Decrypter to put on hard drive, would not work for me any other way. copied all files (angles) as far as audio only english and no commentary, and only used one disk. Why do you split? I have had no problem with mine in any of my dvd players.

[QUOTE=easyray29]Myself, I had to use DVD Decrypter to put on hard drive, would not work for me any other way. copied all files (angles) as far as audio only english and no commentary, and only used one disk. Why do you split? I have had no problem with mine in any of my dvd players]

Better video quality can be achieved for movies with a large file size if they are split over 2 disks.
Think of it as 2 layers, but on 2 disks rather than on 1 dual layer, as used commercially.
Bottom line…no compression using 2 disks = better quality burn.

Well, I splitted Star Wars III using the scissors function on CloneDVD 2.8.5.1, haven’t burned them to discs. But I had some doubts about the splitting procedure (read the tutorial on Elby’s web page but ended somewhat confused). First disc was from chapters 1-26 (all Special Features checked), second disc, chapters 27-51 (all Special features unchecked). First disc compression bar showed 48% (it seemed no improvement took place after sppliting), second disc showed 100%. Was my sppliting procedure correct, or at least, good enough.

Nope. :disagree:
Make sure, to split ALL ANGLES the same way. You should be able to reach 100% quality on both discs.

Split all angles the same way? :confused: Do you mean, make the same thing I make with the first splitted section (chapters 1-26, all Special features checked) with the second section (chapters 27-51, this time everything checked)? With this, will I be able to yield 100% even of the compression bar shows 48% for the first split? I’m still confused :sad:, more details, please. Or do you mean, splitting each special feature (angles, trails, etc.) on both discs? Or, splitting just the main movie plus angles on both discs, and leaving checked all Special features only on disc 1? Brrr…

Sorry, I am not so good in explaining things. What I know:

1.) You MUST enable the option “Filter unreferred material” in CloneDVD settings. It is enabled by default, maybe you have played with the settings?

2.) I was referring to this passage in the CloneDVD manual, as Star Wars has multiple angles:

HINT: If you want to split a multi-angle movie, please cut off the same chapters for each camera angle. You can easily recognize titles with different camera angles, as they all have the same playing time!

Yes, the “Filter unreferred material” was checked, I saw the settings, but haven’t changed them. What should I do with all the remaining sections (aside from the main movie and additional angles)? Should I include them in the first section of the split, but remove them (uncheck) from the second split?

cafetimer
Are you backing up the R1 USA widesreen version?

Is English your language of choice?

If yes to both then this is how you do it with CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD running:

Uncheck TS 01 Angle2
Uncheck TS 01 Angle3
Keep Title Sets 02-11 on both backup disks if you want a full backup.

WithTS 01 checked and highlighted split it as follows

Disk 1 Chapters 1-25
Disk 2 Chapters 26-51

Click “Next” to go to page two of CloneDVD and uncheck foriegn languages other than English.

This method will yeald 100% i.e. no compression on both backup disks.

Go to burn. Repeat for the second disk after changing the spit to chapters 26-51. You’re done!

Again, this is for the R1 USA widescreen version although the fullscreen version should split the same.

If you have a R2 or German version it is authored differently so you can use Tru’s method and you will be able to split the angle Title Sets in the same place as the main movie TS.

You cannot split the angle TS’s in the USA version because there are no true chapter stops in the angle TS’s.

You asked for “…more details, please …”. Well, you’re gonna get details! :frowning: (Holy Big Post Batman!) Following is a paste of a post of mine from another forum which explains it all, in responce to another person’s question on that forum:

Pasted from AfterDawn Forum. Dated November 01, 2005

nino23,
But guess what nino23?
As far as Star Wars III: Just like the other two prequels to the original Star Wars, There are not three different full versions of the movie on the disk. That much data could not fit onto a single DVD9 original.

The explaination for the 2cnd & 3rd “versions” is that they are two other “Writen” language TS’s to provide the rolling-text (probably French and Spanish) that scrolls and disappears into space at the opening sequence of the movie. They actually contain very little data (probably only 100 MB). Those title sets then cut out and TS1 is what is actually playing from there on.

BUT because TS2 & TS3 are linked via “angle” to TS1, they readout, in CloneDVD, as the full GB size-count of the movie.

The DVD is authored to send certain, “choice” commands to your player based what is selected in the set-up menu on the DVD. The way it works is that if a Frenchman chooses the French soundtrack from the movie’s setup menu, a command is sent to the DVD player to play, say, TS2 so he can read the scrolling starwars text in his native language. After the rolling-text plays-out, the DVD player is then commanded to swich back to TS1 which is the real-and-only TS which is actually a full movie titleset. And, of course, the French sound track plays for the French viewer from there on.

You can even watch how it happens, as I remember from I & II, if you use the on-screen display of your player to display what TS is being played. Before starting the movie, choose another language from set-up. Then play the movie from the start. Your on-screen display shows that either TS2 or TS3 playing. Then when the other-language scrolling-text opening scene ends, you will see your on-screen display switch to show that it is TS1 playing from there on.

Cool ya?

But even without my long expaination, nino23’s solution is the correct one no matter what backup software you use. Just keep TS1 and uncheck TS2 & TS3. BTW I like CloneDVD with AnyDVD and I split to keep 0% compression, 100% quality.

Whisperer

Thanks Whisperer1. My version is US, Full screen. That is more or less how I splitted (chapters were splitted little different 1-26, 27-51). Hmm… I recall unchecking both angles, but leaving checked all other sections for split #1. Compression bar still showed 48%, though.

Corrections to the above post (my 30 minute, cdfreaks edit-correction time has expired)

"BUT because TS2 & TS3 are linked via “angle” to TS1, they readout, in CloneDVD, as the full GB size-count of the movie. "

Should read

BUT because TS 01 Angle2 & TS 01 Angle3 are linked via “angle” to TS 01, they readout, in CloneDVD, as the full GB size-count of the movie.

and also

"But even without my long expaination, nino23’s solution is the correct one no matter what backup software you use. Just keep TS1 and uncheck TS2 & TS3. "

should read

But even without my long expaination, nino23’s solution is the correct one no matter what backup software you use. Just keep TS 01 and uncheck TS 01 Angle2 & TS 01 Angle3.

Nope. Do it again. Sorry to be forceful but eliminate the “…That is more or less how I splitted…” and do it exactly as posted above. Make sure you have highlighted and are splitting on TS 01. Move on to page 2 of CloneDVD and look at the second compression bar after eliminating the foreign languages. You can keep all other TS’s on both backup disks if you want. You will not get 48%, you will get 100% on both backup disks 1 and 2.

Best regards,
Whisperer

Edit Post Script: The only reason this will not work is if the FS version is authored differently (highly doubtful). I would never buy a FS version, WS only for me. So I don’t have your FS version in front of me. Or there are more that one US R1 authored original DVD movies out on the US market (also doubtful). So these are the only weak links in my instructions to you.

Edit2 PPS: I’m assuming you know how and are using the CloneDVD scissors feature correctly to split TS 01 of the movie.

cafetimer,
So … were’d you go? … you got a life or something? :iagree:
Did you get it to work? If not, don’t be afraid to post back because I was harsh. :frowning: Sorry if that be the case.

If you really got a 48% read out on the disk1 split, after following my above instructions, then there is only one reason: You did not really deselect the 2 angles.

Just because TS 01 Angle2 and TS 01 Angle3 are not highlighted does not mean you have “deselected” or removed them from the backup. You actually have to “uncheck” (mouse click) the little boxes next to the two angle TS’s under the column labeled “Title” on CloneDVD’s first page.

In other words, the only way you could get a readout of 48% is if you had not deselected TS 01 Angle2 and TS 01 Angle3 and they are indeed included on your disk1, chapter 1-25 split.

Or you are not using the scissors feature correctly on TS 01.

Best regards,
Whisperer

Thanks, Whisperer1. I’ll try again when my two little daughters bring me back the movie (they don’t live with me and I lent the movie to them). I use to buy FS because I hate the black bars above and below the screen. I’m aware of the benefits of WS versions, but unless I have a WS TV I won’t buy WS movies.